Unlimited oil farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
So I want to use fuel for my power system and I am wondering with all the amazing things you can do with ftb, is the a unlimited oil farm, without manually find oil spawns?

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Through bees. Though I believe it is currently in MindCrack only as it is a ExtraBees bee. Oily combs produce oily propolis which can be squeezed for oil.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
It's no more renewable than oil wells, but if you have any oil sands or crude oil, with the newest Petrogen you can now macerate them to get bituminous sludge, which can be combined with an empty bucket and put into an extractor to get an oil bucket out of it. Won't be a big boost in oil, but if you have some extra oil sands/crude oil sitting around, it'll give you a little bit extra. From what I understand, oil is supposed to be nonrenewable by design... I guess ExtraBees breaks that convention, then?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
They do break the convention... but you have to breed the bees first, replace the frames as needed, or invest a massive amount of bee products building an alvery to get to the infinite item stage. my guess would be the same as building a frame quarry and support infrastructure. It can be done, but it quite a time and resource sink to get there. Also, I don't think the oily propolis is a 100% chance, so you won't always get the oil from a comb. Most of your mineral bees drop the "small piles of dust" which take four of them to make a normal dust to be useful.

So even though they can produce infinite items, it's not a fast process to do.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
They do break the convention... but you have to breed the bees first, replace the frames as needed, or invest a massive amount of bee products building an alvery to get to the infinite item stage. my guess would be the same as building a frame quarry and support infrastructure. It can be done, but it quite a time and resource sink to get there. Also, I don't think the oily propolis is a 100% chance, so you won't always get the oil from a comb. Most of your mineral bees drop the "small piles of dust" which take four of them to make a normal dust to be useful.

So even though they can produce infinite items, it's not a fast process to do.
In the end, it's about easier to just go biofuel, no? Much easier to get, loads less infrastructure, completely automatable(and easily, too), and just as useful, though slightly less MJs per tick.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
While you produce only 1 MJ less per tick, the amount of time 1 bucket of fuel lasts is 3 times longer then 1 bucket of biofuel. Overall creating an automated setup for fuel would increase overall MJ production beyond 1 MJ/t as you could have more engines using it due to the decreased need for constant fuel. Not to mention that is has a high value in the diesel generator at 384k EU compared to biofuels 32k EU, making it a good EU generator.

I think an alvery is not necessary for setting up an 'infinite item stage' system with the bees, though it might be a bit slower you should have no problems using just basic apiaries.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
With un-framed Apiaries, your output is 10% of what it could be. As far as I know, there is not a way to automate the replacement of frames.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
With un-framed Apiaries, your output is 10% of what it could be. As far as I know, there is not a way to automate the replacement of frames.
At best, you can do an indicator light so you can replace them promptly like the Mindcrack guys did. Otherwise, it's going to be slow as molasses if you want to do fully automated production without alvearies.

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
Ok is it hard to get them?

Lets get back on topic. Yes, they are pretty hard to get, bees are time consuming and potentially resource consuming if you use frames. There are a few good bee guides floating around, there might even be one in my sig, IDK

You can automate it with factorization routers last I checked. obviously an expensive way of doing it but possible.

That was removed, you can't automate frames

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing else is truly infinite. You can always exploit mystcraft and twilight forest oil spawns, as those are effectively infinite, but you have to keep finding more as you use up the oil.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
netmc, Overworld oil spawns are just as effectively infinite.
True, but most people often find traveling long distances in the overworld troublesome. It's a lot easier to pop into an age, collect the nearby oil, then repeat on the next age. I know personally, I don't like to travel more than 1/2 a day's walk or fly away from my base, which limits me to about 1000 blocks walking, and about double that flying.