Unleashed: Forestry Bees and their maths...changes?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Finally worked up to alvearys and had some ideas to automate the tedious aspects of breeding/mutating.

Had an idea to build an alveary to emulate the oblivion frame's "reduce lifespan to a single bee-tick" effect...use 6 chocolate frames. Each chocolate frame should reduce bee life by half and bonus of multiple frames is multiplicative. Thus, 6 chocolate frames should reduce bee life by 1/(2^6) = 1/64 and still have production bonus below 16x so as not to produce swarmers. If these maths are correct, than only bees with the "longest" life would live past a single bee tick in this setup.

Testing proves otherwise... Bees with "short" life were surviving roughly 15 bee-ticks in this setup. Tried the same bee in an apiary with single chocolate frame. Short bee (30 bee ticks) with single chocolate frame should live 15 bee ticks, or 412 sec. Bee actually lived approx 605s or 23 bee-ticks?

Did the maths change with Unleashed and the wikis have yet to be updated, or is something broke with my world?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I believe all frames have diminishing returns. In other words, going from 0 to 1 frame, you get the full effect. The next frame is slightly less effective, and so on.

Also, swarmers aren't related to bee life, but to the mutation rate, and chocolate doesn't affect mutation. You may be thinking of soul frames.

If you want the shortest possible bee life, see if you can find some Oblivion frames in chests. If you have DartCraft installed (included in Unleashed, so I'm assuming you do), you can get them in loot bags. Maybe it's me, but the Oblivion frame drop rate seemed highest in The End. I would go to The End every once in a while to attempt Endermen genocide, mainly to collect Ender Pearls but also to roll the dice on Oblivion frames.

Just use a single Oblivion frame in the entire Alveary with no other frames. Oblivion + Mutator with Uranium is, in my experience, the most reliable and fastest setup short of creative 'Nova' frames for breeding bees.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure I read a topic yesterday and someone pointed out that there is now a cap on lifespan and other attributes. I seem to remember lifespan being capped at a 50% reduction. I'll see if I can find the thread again.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad someone's responding, but you're missing the point. Wiki states chocolate frames reduce lifespan by 50% or half. So a bee that would normally live 30 bee-ticks (short lifespan) should only last 15 when exposed to a single chocolate frame. In my testing this bee lasted 23 bee-ticks.

In my testing, a single chocolate frame does not reduce lifespan by 50%, but something closer to 25%, as in a bee would live 3/4ths as long as normal.

On the topic of swarmers...they are caused by excessive mutation bonus [anything greater than 10%] OR excessive production bonus [anything greater than 1600%]. Chocolate frames affect production, so use too many and you'll get swarmers.

I've seen nothing regarding frames and diminishing returns mentioned in Milaha's bee maths spreadsheet. Everything I've seen states frames effects stack multiplicatively, with no loss. Please do find this thread as it would be of interest to many more than myself.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Unable to edit again...

Know about oblivion and currently working towards them. However, oblivion have side-effects whereas chocolate do not...and are much less expensive to craft.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Quick edit never works for me. On the quick edit screen, click "more options" and it goes to the full editor, and you'll be able to see your post text.

EDIT: I have no input on the -actual- problem, but seeing as how you're having a forum issue and i know how to workaround it... ;)

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Quick edit never works for me. On the quick edit screen, click "more options" and it goes to the full editor, and you'll be able to see your post text.

EDIT: I have no input on the -actual- problem, but seeing as how you're having a forum issue and i know how to workaround it... ;)
ha...good info I'll remember for next time. I can see my text flash briefly in the editor, but then it goes blank and I can only choose from the buttons at the bottom.

:) and it works too!