Tropical bees not working

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Why isn't this working? It says they need vines and ferns. It has frikkin tons of vines and ferns.

http://i.imgur.com/dsTPYfi.png

http://i.imgur.com/p6iz3Ko.png

Yes that is a a tropical queen and yes I'm in a jungle biome and getting poisoned by it. :mad:
Where did you get it? Some of the bees you collect from villager's apiaries can have some ... odd qualities. If it's a harvested bee, then that setup should be working.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Analyze the bee. Just because default tropicals want vines doesn't mean _that_ bee wants vines.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Where did you get it? Some of the bees you collect from villager's apiaries can have some ... odd qualities. If it's a harvested bee, then that setup should be working.

It came from a tropical princess and drone. I've only just started with bees. The princess and drone worked just fine in my meadows biome to make the queen after putting a few vines on the wall, but the queen won't do anything and says "hostile environment" with a picture of a cactus next to it. So I moved it to where it is now in its native biome (afaik) and plastered vines and ferns everywhere and it's not doing anything other than whining about flowers. What am I doing wrong? Are bees bugged or something?[DOUBLEPOST=1364306488][/DOUBLEPOST]
Analyze the bee. Just because default tropicals want vines doesn't mean _that_ bee wants vines.

The queen is already analysed!
http://i.imgur.com/uolIWA6.png

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
It came from a tropical princess and drone. I've only just started with bees. The princess and drone worked just fine in my meadows biome to make the queen after putting a few vines on the wall, but the queen won't do anything and says "hostile environment" with a picture of a cactus next to it. So I moved it to where it is now in its native biome (afaik) and plastered vines and ferns everywhere and it's not doing anything other than whining about flowers. What am I doing wrong? Are bees bugged or something?
As said either analyse the bee, or try different flowers. Where did you get the original bees? Did you harvest them from hives, or "steal" them from an apiary in a village? Jungle flowers are ferns and vines, so if the bee is needing jungle flowers, then it should be working. If it's not, it might need others.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
She's got vines, she's got ferns - and where in that screenshot, are the (vanilla red/yellow) flowers? ;)
The Beealyzer would say "Jungle" if that bee wanted vines/ferns. That one really wants flowers, like a meadow bee. ;)

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
She's got vines, she's got ferns - and where in that screenshot, are the (vanilla red/yellow) flowers? ;)
The Beealyzer would say "Jungle" if that bee wanted vines/ferns. That one really wants flowers, like a meadow bee. ;)

The wiki says they need vines or ferns, no mention of any flowers.

kheeler

Jul 29, 2019
Bees can mutate. This one has and it wants flowers. Your Beealyzer says so. :) Remember, a big part of working with bees is to customize their traits, to make them more production, longer or shorter lived, working at night or in the rain. It's all a big breeding/mutation game. Plop some flowers down and your queen should be happy.

Reactions: LightKnight

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I did not say anything different - but the bee in your beealyzer-screenshot does NOT want ferns or vines. That's why she's complaining that she can't find the right type of flower. If she would be looking for vines/ferns, the beealyzer would state "Jungle", not "Flowers". Somewhere in your breeding process you at least once had a "flowers" bee in your mix - and that trait ("I need vanilla flowers") carried over to your tropical bee. Yes, this can happen. I once had a meadows queen that needed "Redstone" as flower b/c I mixed her with an energetic bee twice.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
So basically, give the queen a regular flower and she'll be fine.
This is actually a good thing (certainly not bad anyway) because it means that you can lump your tropicals in with your commons and cultivateds and stuff without having to shear some vines :)

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks I've no idea how that's happened unless another player has been messing with them. The queen should be pure as it came from a pure princess and drone. At least that's what I put in the apiary last night before I logged off. I thought it was strange because the princess and drone worked just fine in the meadows, but the queen won't. I think someone has been messing with my bees!!!!! :eek: Anyway it works now with some flowes, thanks!

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks I've no idea how that's happened unless another player has been messing with them. The queen should be pure as it came from a pure princess and drone. At least that's what I put in the apiary last night before I logged off. I thought it was strange because the princess and drone worked just fine in the meadows, but the queen won't. I think someone has been messing with my bees!!!!! :eek: Anyway it works now with some flowes, thanks!
Going back, can you trace the ancestry of both princess and drone back to ONLY bees that came from tropical hives? It's possible for a flower's bit to come from any point in the line. The only "pure" princesses/drones are the ones that are directly harvested from the hives in the world.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Going back, can you trace the ancestry of both princess and drone back to ONLY bees that came from tropical hives? It's possible for a flower's bit to come from any point in the line. The only "pure" princesses/drones are the ones that are directly harvested from the hives in the world.

Yes, they were definitely from tropical hives in jungles. As I say, someone must've been messing with them whilst I was logged off and the fact that the queen was in my indexer and not in the apiary would support this. You just don't mess with another mans bees!! :mad:

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, they were definitely from tropical hives in jungles. As I say, someone must've been messing with them whilst I was logged off and the fact that the queen was in my indexer and not in the apiary would support this. You just don't mess with another mans bees!! :mad:
Ah, yes, the magical teleporting bees would be the bigger clue to foul play.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Baw179's theorem: In minecraft, the least likely event is the only one possible.
If it's SMP and if the bees are not where I left them and if I know I harvested them from junglehives myself - then it's definitely not the least likely solution. ;)

Reactions: YX33A

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like the Soul Frame worked a little too well there. Here is how you can work with this.

Get a few more princesses and breed in pairs. If you want Common and Cultivated in their own strains you will want to breed two different hive bees together again to get more Commons. Cultivated are a mix of Common and Hive bee so if you mix those two you should have a good chance to get another Cultivated and then rinse and repeat until you get the bee line pure.

Use Soul Frames only if you want mutations aka a new species such as Common or Cultivated.

If you want to purify a bee line or get drones of a certain type fast make some Chocolate Frames. They will reduce the lifespan significantly as well as increase productivity. This way the bee dies off faster and you can get drones faster or mix different bees until you get a stable set of traits you like.

Also know that you can overwrite any princess by breeding her with several of the same type of drones. For instance say I get 6-12 Common drones but I ran out of Common Princesses or bred them to be other types. I can take a hive princess and keep breeding her with the Common drones and eventually she will come out with the same exact traits as the drones. This is a great tip if you want to branch out to the more diverse breeds later.

Also as you learned earlier different bees have different traits that can get mixed in. Such as type of flowers needed or Productivity. When you get Cultivated and get the bee line pure I suggest letting them reproduce until you get a stack of drones. Cultivated are used for many other bees but they also possess the Fast productivity attribute. So say I have an Imperial Princess that works at Normal Productivity and I want her to make combs faster so I can breed her selectively with a Cultivated drone. In the offspring I want to take Imperial drones that have the Fast Productivity trait and keep breeding them with the Princess until they match. Now I will have an Imperial bee that will have Fast productivity.

Also many will tell you if you have Extra Bees you can use the machines to isolate the genes and then put them in the bees as well but that requires some pretty heavy infrastructure to do.