Tree farming - Steve's carts vs MFR

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, since my nuclear reactor blew up (again!) in my last world, i'm making a new one. I know everyone does it, but I think i'll just go for a few boilers powered by a tree farm. The only other time i've done this, I used an 11x11 MFR tree farm, using EXBL redwood trees. It gave me enough planks to run 5 36hp boilers, possibly more. My planned 25x25 MFR farm will have just over 5x the growing area, meaning enough planks for 25 36hp boilers! Could a SC tree farm (something i've not used before) match that ridiculous wood output? I suspect not, but I want to hear what everyone else thinks first.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
From my experience with SC2 tree farm I'm pretty sure you would need a ridiculous big farm.
Stick with MFR if you have it installed.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure if he uses Redwood tree and the stuff (Fertilizer?) that makes the harvester work super fast nothing can catch up with that.

danny75

Jul 29, 2019
how much mj/t or eu/t does the planter and harvester require for a 25x25 mfr tree farm?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
how much mj/t or eu/t does the planter and harvester require for a 25x25 mfr tree farm?
I have no idea, though I don't think its very much. I also don't think it depends on the size of the farm (or does it? Does anyone know?).

I'm also not using fertilizer. The trees grow quickly enough as it is despite being 2x2. With fertilizer i'd just have a 25x25x60 block of wood.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
unfortunately it doesnt scale evenly. The max size is so large the harvester cant keep up with the plants. Something slightly smaller is more efficient and produces just as much.

giesergast

Jul 29, 2019
wait upgrading can you upgrade mfr farms:D how does that work

btw: i made a test setup with a normal sized mfr farm with fertilizer can power atleast 2 boilers if you turn it into charcoal:)

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
unfortunately it doesnt scale evenly. The max size is so large the harvester cant keep up with the plants. Something slightly smaller is more efficient and produces just as much.
I know, I was going to use 4 harvesters.

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
wait upgrading can you upgrade mfr farms:D how does that work?

You're still using 2.2, aren't you? Upgrades were added in 2.3. The last version for MC 1.4.7 is 2.3.2 which can be found in my thread (link in sig).

And yes, a max upgraded farm is pretty slow. That's supposed to be the tradeoff; cost and convenience vs speed.

Reactions: shockwave95

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I was going too use an SC farm in 1.5.x but crafting killed my interest. I'll be trying the MFR farm for the first time this week. It seems pretty simple to automate and reasonable in terms of resource investment

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I had this setup before the server reset- 2 beds of 3x48 saplings could easily power 8x36HP boilers- its burns through an epic amount of fertiliser though.

--Quick Edit-- that was the pre-upgrade days. looking at a more machine efficient design now

If you'll want to place multiple harvesters within each others cutting range to keep up with the fertiliser machines mind. (I had one every other block)
-Also I'd advice dumping the harvesters into tesseracts or AE, dont use tubes/pipes and keep particles turned down/off otherwise the lag will kill you

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
harvester(no upgrades) plus fertilizer plus TE sawmill plus railcraft boilers = tons o power... I am able to power at least 3 36LP boilers non stop with this build. MFR is core to most of my early to mid game transition nowadays. Dont forget to use power converts to shrink the build down considerably.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
harvester(no upgrades) plus fertilizer plus TE sawmill plus railcraft boilers = tons o power... I am able to power at least 3 36LP boilers non stop with this build. MFR is core to most of my early to mid game transition nowadays. Dont forget to use power converts to shrink the build down considerably.
THAT is a huge understatement. I built a 25x25 farm now, with lilypads of fertility to keep them growing at pace. With 4 harvesters, I was getting constant wood. I could easily power at least 20 36ph boilers with this enormous wood output... not bad i'd say :)

Alas, its rather depressing to consider this is pretty much the only thing in the game AFAIK that can compete with advanced solars...

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
To get even more power from it you can set all but one or 2 of the harvesters to collect the leaves. Which then can be turned into plant balls to feed into a fermentor to get biomass to feed into a bunch of stills for bio fuel to power even more boilers.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
To get even more power from it you can set all but one or 2 of the harvesters to collect the leaves. Which then can be turned into plant balls to feed into a fermentor to get biomass to feed into a bunch of stills for bio fuel to power even more boilers.
To be honest, I think that would be just a tad overkill. Besides, I don't want to lose too many leaves or i'll run out of saplings.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
THAT is a huge understatement. I built a 25x25 farm now, with lilypads of fertility to keep them growing at pace. With 4 harvesters, I was getting constant wood. I could easily power at least 20 36ph boilers with this enormous wood output... not bad i'd say :)

Alas, its rather depressing to consider this is pretty much the only thing in the game AFAIK that can compete with advanced solars...

Uranium bees and a solid reactor design can compete.