Tree Breeding help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
I have started an interest in tree breeding in ftb, and I can't seem to get the trees leaves to change color. This is the setup I have (picture) and includes 3 apiaries, flowers, oak trees, silver birch trees, and normal birch trees.. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? thank you.

Attachments

• 2013-06-20_00.14.58.png
    2013-06-20_00.14.58.png
    535.1 KB · Views: 49

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Are the queens still active or have they expired? It takes a while for tree breeding to occur. Sometimes you may need to leave the are and come back for the colors of the leaves to update properly.

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
I am constantly changing out the bees. I already have cultivated princesses and drones, as well as common, forest, and meadow.

Oatmonster

Jul 29, 2019
Tree breeding can take quite a while. The speed depends on the pollination trait of the bees you are using.

Not all the leaves on the tree will change color. It is done one block at a time and it isn't always on the surface. I would recommend temporarily changing your video setting to fancy when you are inspecting your trees to see the leaves under the surface.

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
Ok thanks. Ya it's definantly not on fancy right now so that's what I'll change. Thanks for the help[DOUBLEPOST=1371708352][/DOUBLEPOST]Not sarcasm it isn't on fancy[DOUBLEPOST=1371708384][/DOUBLEPOST]And actually thanks for the help. The way I said it at first made it seem sarcastic

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
1. You generally underestimate the range of bee pollination. It is a lot larger then the area bees usually affect. Check the furthest distance away from your apiaries where flowers are being spawned by your bees. Now triple that distance, and go a few blocks further for good measure. Any tree in that (rough) area has a chance of being a target for pollination. On my server, the person who was doing tree breeding was complaining about nothing ever happening, only to hop over a small hill and find 5 pollinated leaves in trees on the other side, more than 2 chunks away.

2. Pollinating targets are chosen at random. First, a source leaf is picked to determine breeding partner 1, then a destination leaf is picked to determine breeding partner 2. If both partners are identical (two vanilla oak tree leaves) then nothing happens at all. And if your apiaries are standing in a wood of oak trees with just a few birch nearby, then most of the time nothing will happen. Therefore, you want to have maximum tree diversity in your breeding area. Plant an equal number of each oak, birch, spruce and jungle trees (4-5 each) and make sure that no other trees are in range. Once you have gotten a mutation, add the new tree to your breeding copse for even more diversity.

3. If you play on the 1.5.2 beta pack, treealyze your vanilla saplings before planting them around the apiaries. That way they have a genome, and trees with a genome have a chance to spawn butterflies. Which are not only neat-looking and collectible, but also randomly pollinate trees (they have a tendency to fly all over the world though, so you might randomly find pollinated leaves halfway across the map).

4. Simply use more apiaries, and breed bees with better pollination traits. That way you will generate pollinated leaves much faster.

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
Ok thanks and I'm on the magic world pack haha. I needed something to do while the flux goes down so I chose trees and bees. Thanks for the help