Transport liquids without chunk loaders?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kremlin16

Jul 29, 2019
The server I play on bans chunk loaders (they also don't like it when you use quarries to load chunks either) and I need to transport oil from a distance away. Now, I having been using portable tanks to move it but its a real chore having to transport them constantly. Any ideas?

Develo

Jul 29, 2019
AFAIK If you want to keep that chunk loaded you need a chunk loader of some sorts.

You can try EnderTanks or Liquid Tesseracts to transfer the oil without hideous piping, but then again you need the chunk loaded.

Gr3n

Jul 29, 2019
I heard in a Mindcracker's FTB video that pipes that are interlinked will be loaded as residual chunks if they are connected to a system that has part of it in a loaded chunk, and you can use a portal gun to start the chain. This is a little mischievous though, and can cause a lot of lag if too many people load too much this way.

Kremlin16

Jul 29, 2019
Your server is actually making things worse by banning chunk loaders because what you're going to do is assassinate the tickrate trying to get those chunks loaded. Stop playing there; they're being wrong.

As much as I would love a server that actually allows chunk loaders, not many do. If you have one in mind, do tell. I thought of using a rail line with tank carts and linking them all together then adding an empty cart for me to sit in, but that's a huge iron investment after I exhaust the oil near my base.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I would love a server that actually allows chunk loaders, not many do. If you have one in mind, do tell. I thought of using a rail line with tank carts and linking them all together then adding an empty cart for me to sit in, but that's a huge iron investment after I exhaust the oil near my base.

WHy not use stacks of cells into an ender chest, then?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Had not thought of that, do ender chests need a chunk loader? I thought they did?

They do. But you can stand on one end and load a group of them up to the brim, then go back to your base and they'll be waiting for you.

Kremlin16

Jul 29, 2019
They do. But you can stand on one end and load a group of them up to the brim, then go back to your base and they'll be waiting for you.
better yet, set up a small quarry next to the well and add a tesseract to it so I can just do that, and mine at the same time (landmarks are restricted to donator ranks so we who don't pay only get the default size quarry)!

Kurimou

Jul 29, 2019
better yet, set up a small quarry next to the well and add a tesseract to it so I can just do that, and mine at the same time (landmarks are restricted to donator ranks so we who don't pay only get the default size quarry)!
Wow this basically sounds like the worst server experience I've ever heard of. But yes, enderchests will probably do best for you. If you have a portal gun, those can also cause chunks to stay loaded, afaik.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I would love a server that actually allows chunk loaders, not many do.

Any proper server allows for chunkloaders. If the server doesn't the admins are morons and you should switch.

Not having chunkloaders causes much more problems than having them. You just have to make sure that people use them properly. I have a rather big base and all I load is the 3x3 area the base is in. That's 9 chunks. Nothing compared to what a player acually loads.

FTB is more or less unplayable on servers if you don't allow chunk to be loaded. You can easily run into a situation where another player loads half your base just by being closeby and having stuff run out of water (blowing up) and/or spewing entities everywhere.

Wow this basically sounds like the worst server experience I've ever heard of.

Indeed.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Not having chunkloaders causes much more problems than having them. You just have to make sure that people use them properly. I have a rather big base and all I load is the 3x3 area the base is in. That's 9 chunks. Nothing compared to what a player acually loads.
Lag from loaded chunks don't depend that much on how much chunks are loaded, but what is in those chunks. One chunk packed base will have more effect on server than 9x9 chunkloader in the wild (however with one chunk big base you don't need chunkloaders for this purpose, it will always be loaded entirely).

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Lag from loaded chunks don't depend that much on how much chunks are loaded, but what is in those chunks. One chunk packed base will have more effect on server than 9x9 chunkloader in the wild (however with one chunk big base you don't need chunkloaders for this purpose, it will always be loaded entirely).

True, but every loaded chunks gets 'visited' by the server for block update ticks. So it's better to pack the stuff you have into 9 chunks than to do it in 49.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
I love how the answer is "Use other things that load chunks, or move server".

Not allowing a few chunk loaders per player is a nightmare for FTB.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
True, but every loaded chunks gets 'visited' by the server for block update ticks. So it's better to pack the stuff you have into 9 chunks than to do it in 49.

This is not always true. It really depends on what's in the chunks. As we've seen before, just loading a single chunk that interacts with nearby chunks can stress the server more than just keeping those chunks loaded all the time.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Wow this basically sounds like the worst server experience I've ever heard of. But yes, enderchests will probably do best for you. If you have a portal gun, those can also cause chunks to stay loaded, afaik.

Yeah but this seems like evading the "no chunkloader" policy. If quarries are forbidden then...

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
No chunkloading = bad.

Run a quarry and unload the part of your base with the receiving teseract/enderchest and ull get a million items spewed out of the quarry, for example.

Bases half-loaded with nuclear reactors and boilers exploding must be common in such a scenario.

FTB is simply meant to be loaded, a chunkloading-afraid server should just limit the number of chunks a player can load (i think this is possible at least with chickenchunks).

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
If they want to control the chunk loaders just give everyplayer 2 of em and have at it.

Also this is why I like the World Achors.. They require enderpearls... Keep em supplied keep your chunk running.. You don't they don't load.

World Anchors use to be the thing... Now these chicken chunk things seem to be... And they seem to cause lots of problems too.

Kremlin16

Jul 29, 2019
Basically you all have said its a horrible thing not to have chunk loaders (which I agree) and I would be more than happy to switch servers. Either of Ultimate pack or direwolf20 pack, If any of you know of a server that allows chunk loaders in an form, I would gladly switch. The server I play on isn't worth sticking to if I can go to one that has chunk loaders. seriously, if you know of a server tell me, cause I cant seem to find any that don't ban them.

martyyp

Jul 29, 2019
If a server thinks having chunkloaders is a problem, you should probably not play there. One player loads about 440 chunks alone, no matter what, so as long as the chicken chunks block loaders are limited, there's no reason to ban chunkloading. There are many good servers that allow chunkloading, in fact I play on one if you want a link to the thread just pm me