Towns

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,

Having steam offer me this game, I decided to give it a try, and it is really correct, for a small sandbox game.
It has most of the "dwarf fortress" feel to it, with far less complexity and graphics.

I have played it quite a lot these last days, and wanted to know what others could think about it.

If you get the feeling that it is not complete enough, it is still under development (so new stuff coming), or you could try out the game that made it start, if you feel adventurous enough to play with very few graphics (dwarf fortress).

elmarko98

Jul 29, 2019
I played it a bit last Summer and I've seen screenshots of the latest update and it's changed quite a bit :D I might get into again one day, I had a lot of fun with it. But I hate the frogs :mad: (despite my avatar being a frog), always killing Bruce...(long story)

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
I played before they introduced the multistory buildings and layers, and then got back into Minecraft and forgot about it. Now going back I just find it really finicky trying to work with that system along with all the other mechanics. I should give it another go as it's a great concept but it's hard to get back into.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the game is great when you try it out first, but I quickly got bored, because there is not much to do, and your population is so hard to raise that you have empty stockpiles all the time.

Fuubar

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still a little dubious about gnomoria and towns. I see a lot of potential, but it will be a while before I make the plunge. The complexity of dwarf fortress and the emergent stories that result will be hard to match.

I really like the fact that no matter how well you think you're doing, your fortress is hovering on the brink of collapse.

I like to build massive contraptions for defense even though I know that it's only a matter of time before I pull the wrong lever and collapse a mountain (why did I build a self destruct again?), flood my fortress with lava (The lever A, lever B, and Lever right next to B control system had so much promise), or release a horde of clowns (Why did I even build a contraption that releases acid breathing clowns into my fortress...).

Handling Catsplosions also makes you realize that deep down you are a horrible horrible person. At least project drop-cats-into-glass-sentry-towers and project moat-full-of-angry-cats-and-crocodiles were successful (ish) ventures (Urist isn't exactly original with names).