Tolerance (Or a lack of it)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
[rant]
I've been noticing a loss of tolerance in the community lately. Namely, the fact that RF-lovers feel like no other power system would be used. Not to mention that I was recently yelled at, by a mod dev no less, for having an opinion and not wanting to use RWTema's obvious spinnoff of BC running on RF. All prime, extremly annoying samples of "I cannot tolerate opinions, comply with mine or leave."
[/rant]
So, that done, please leave your thoughts and be nice!

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry, but what does having a love of RF have to do with thoughts on XU replicating BC items? Jack-shit is the answer. Most RF users do already use BC.

I for one love RF, yet have strongly mixed feelings about RWTema doing this. On one hand I like how he's interpreted these items and how he's made them more server-friendly on the other the items are clear rip-offs.

TBH It seems like you're the one who is demonstrating intolerance. To me it appears you've started this thread when people thought you were overreacting to RWTema's actions and immediately started taking sides in this fictitious RF-Users vs Everybody Else war that you've made up.

[/end rant]

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I've also noticed a shift in the community to be less accepting of opinions, with the most noticeable offenders being ones who like RF and / or AE. I'm not saying it's everyone in those groups, and I'm not saying others outside of those groups are perfect in terms of respecting opinions, but this is what I've seen. It's a sad change to see.

Edit: I left out words.

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
If I cared to keep such links, I could certainly link you to a half dozen situations where people said one was "Wrong" for not liking RF. This is a frustrating thing that happens. Apparently Santa found AE users doing it with AE.
It isn't major behavior, but the community is getting toxic.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
If I cared to keep such links, I could certainly link you to a half dozen situations where people said one was "Wrong" for not liking RF. This is a frustrating thing that happens. Apparently Santa found AE users doing it with AE.

Even if you find links, don't post them. Pointing fingers is a damn good way to get this locked and people yelled at before any good discussion occurs.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I actually think the intolerance goes the other way. Now hear me out before you start screaming at me.

I do like my RF. It's neat, clean, fast, efficient, and doesn't force waste. I like creating fully on-demand systems, which MJ *can* do, though is horribly inefficient space and resources wise for. TE fits what I like quite well. But different strokes for different folks. Some like the realism of RotaryCraft or the classic MJ more. More power to them.

But.

I've noticed this trend where those that prefer realism keep trying to tell those that like TE why we're wrong for liking it. I don't recall seeing many posts about why RotaryCraft is *wrong* or BuildCraft is *wrong*. I've seen *many* comments on why RF is *wrong*.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Then simply leave. If something is to toxic you remove yourself from it.

TBH The community has alway been this way, now you're on the receiving end of it you can't stand it.

Have a look at Paddy's post. It simply expressed that he believes that those that some of the people that use RF are the people who are more likely to express intolerance. He has been completely objective. Whereas you've ruled out all but three people as intolerant. Does that not seem silly?[DOUBLEPOST=1403761565][/DOUBLEPOST]
I actually think the intolerance goes the other way. Now hear me out before you start screaming at me.

I do like my RF. It's neat, clean, fast, efficient, and doesn't force waste. I like creating fully on-demand systems, which MJ *can* do, though is horribly inefficient space and resources wise for. TE fits what I like quite well. But different strokes for different folks. Some like the realism of RotaryCraft or the classic MJ more. More power to them.

But.

I've noticed this trend where those that prefer realism keep trying to tell those that like TE why we're wrong for liking it. I don't recall seeing many posts about why RotaryCraft is *wrong* or BuildCraft is *wrong*. I've seen *many* comments on why RF is *wrong*.

This intolerance does go both ways. Before @trajing discussed being a part of a more vocal minority - unfortunately he's equated vocal with argumentative. They're almost baiting the community to lash out at them by calling the community toxic.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
http://xkcd.com/915/
At heart, everyone's like this.
EDIT: I was going to write what I meant here, but I gave up and I'll say this: I had enough frustration at a RPG tonight, then I come home and find that the community is considerably more toxic then when I left it.
--ERROR: Max value reached for INT frustrationLvl
Whopps, forgot to declare it as a long int. Be right back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say that I *like* this community. For the most part it's filled with lots of intelligent people who'd rather have a debate than argument. Of all the online forums I've frequented, *this one* is the friendliest.

I mean ... if you are talking about toxic ... you should see the Guild Wars 2 roleplayers forums. *shudders*

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I have to say that I *like* this community. For the most part it's filled with lots of intelligent people who'd rather have a debate than argument. Of all the online forums I've frequented, *this one* is the friendliest.

I mean ... if you are talking about toxic ... you should see the Guild Wars 2 roleplayers forums. *shudders*
Just MMOs in general. Even worse are MOBAs.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen more toxic. However, it's sad to see a nice forum turned toxic. I'm starting to understand FC, because if I had a forum and saw this happening.... *shudder*

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You've had three people respond to your thread and yet you haven't responded to a single one. You evidently have a problem with the community and you're not allowing us to discuss it.

TBH trajing can just ignore me in here, I've discussed this with him enough before that there's nothing new he'll see from me. :p
But different strokes for different folks.

In the end it comes down to this, and I wish more people would realize this. The problem is many people forget / ignore this, and it turns into a war of opinions; we've all seen those here, and we all know no one wins them.

I absolutely agree.
I've seen more toxic. However, it's sad to see a nice forum turned toxic. I'm starting to understand FC, because if I had a forum and saw this happening.... *shudder*

Visit there daily for a month. You'll have a whole new perspective on things.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
TBH trajing can just ignore me in here, I've discussed this with him enough before that there's nothing new he'll see from me. :p

In the end it comes down to this, and I wish more people would realize this. The problem is many people forget / ignore this, and it turns into a war of opinions; we've all seen those here, and we all know no one wins them.

I absolutely agree.

Visit there daily for a month. You'll have a whole new perspective on things.
I've read a bit on there. I'm still of the opinion that my first forum was the most toxic.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
They're almost baiting the community to lash out at them by calling the community toxic.

Maybe, but is he correct in his observation? I've seen it happen, and had it happen to me in a discussion about RF. Maybe people just don't know the difference between fact and opinion? but If that's the case...wow. not a toxic community, but something else entirely.

My view on it is screw em if they can't take a joke. If somebody is angered at my opinion, or bothered to the point of telling me I'm wrong for having it, then I've won.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
FC?[DOUBLEPOST=1403763235][/DOUBLEPOST]
Trust me, Asperger's is not a valid excuse - even you keep hiding behind your hinderance you'll never progress.
Hoo, this again.
I'll say these five words: If I could I would.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
TBH The community has alway been this way, now you're on the receiving end of it you can't stand it.
I've been here for 3 years, and I've seen it become way worse since RF became a thing.
I agree.
FC?
Apparently Santa found AE users doing it with AE.
It's been happening since 1.4.7 when I "came out" about not liking AE.

Reactions: Padfoote