Tinker's Contruct Info

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if there are any existing resources for getting information on TiC, I know there a fair bit of info on the MCForum post but there's still stuff not explained there. There no wiki that I am aware of so I was wondering if anyone knew about this sort of stuff?

• The effects of each different part on a tool, e.g. the effects different types of tool binding have on pickaxes, etc.
  • Information about effects like Jagged and Stonebound do e.g. what multiplier does each level of stonebound have etc.
  • Stuff on growing berries and oreberries etc.
Any other things people want to know about TiC that i didn't list?

EDIT: Thanks Neoxon, no I am not looking for the books a am looking for detailed and advanced information not provided in the books or on the mcforum page.

Reactions: seanbrockest

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
it all in the books lol, the first book should have all the info to craft the other, or to unlock the second book make a stencil table, third book by smelting grout.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I'm looking at this from the point of a person who has built all the tools and has experimented with some of the different materials and now i'm looking to see whether people know the hard facts about each of the different things, where the books have a more cursory view which was great for getting started.

I tried to accentuate that point by giving examples with my dot points. None-the-less, what is basically for the information that hasn't been explicitly provided by in the game or on the mcforum. The in depth stuff, statistics, comparisons (not a this is the best thing you could make, a complete listing so you can make informed choices).

So yes, thank you for mentioning the books and i recognise i didn't mention them in my OP but that is not what I am looking for.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Actauly the books are fairly complete. Even going so far as to tell you about how a binding effects your tool ect.

All the material effects are listed as well as things like reinforced or stone bound if you read the materials they appear on.

Reactions: Jess887cp

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen people say things like weapons listed as "low" damage actually deal less damage than listed. That, and specifically which pieces of a hammer affect what you can mine. I think the OP is asking for information like that.

Still working that out myself though, sorry.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
In a pick, it's the pick head that affect the mining types, while the handle applies handle modifiers

so, in a Tier two tools, anything that costs 8 material is a "head" piece, and then anything that costs 3 is a handle piece. Then the tough binding is the binding of course.

It takes an average of each of the pieces if there are multiple underneath that category.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
To build a tool you need a tool head a binding and a rod. This is the case for some. To elaborate upon this subject, you might even change things up and use iron instead of stone. Iron has a higher durability rating than stone. This might allow you some extra uses/pick. When deciding what materials to use for your tool, consider that the higher durability materials tend to last longer.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
There are a lot of different things that plays into the end result. I've done some experimenting and I can tell you what I've found out but it's nowhere near exhaustive.
Tier one tools:
Speed is determined by the head only.
Mining type is determine by the head only.
Durability is head durability * the handle's handle modifier.
Special abilities are gained from all parts, so for tools that includes handguards, bindings etc those only add special modifiers.

Tier two tools:
Speed is determined by the average of head and all plates involved.
Mining type is determined by head alone. So if you're going to have different materials in head and plate(s), use the best in the head.
Special abilities are gained from all parts, but note durability below; bindings add to the final handle modifier too, so special abilities might not be the only consideration when it comes to those.
Durability is determined like this:
a. Adding together the durabilities of the head and plate(s)
b. Multiplying the whole thing with a number different for different tools (it seems to be around 3 for the hammer and 2.5 for the lumber axe IIRC)
c. Multiplying the end result of (b) with the average handle modifier between rod and handle if there is any.

I did some research too on bows and arrows but don't remember the details :/ Except that feathers are the best fletching, period. But that's kinda obvious. I also remember thinking cactus, alumite and one more where the only real considerations for arrowheads in terms of cost vs return. I think my favourite arrow, testing around through NEI cheat mode, was ardite head, maybe bone rod or something, and feather fletching.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I've heard, but it seems accurate and is likely what the discription meant, is about luck. Using an item with any luck in it has a small chance to increase it's luck.

As I said it seems right, but I haven't actively tested it.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I've heard, but it seems accurate and is likely what the discription meant, is about luck. Using an item with any luck in it has a small chance to increase it's luck.

As I said it seems right, but I haven't actively tested it.

As I recall, that's the official line. Putting 1 piece of lapis on a tool will give it the chance to get Fortune/Looting to the next level, but the chance increases for each piece. Geting it to the next 150 mark it forces a "level up". Note, that the chance only applies where the enchantment would be called (i.e. if you mine coal, rather than stone).

WRT effects (which aren't very well detailed in the books), I think they work this way:
Stonebound: Mines faster/does more damage the lower the durability is. Presumably this is a sliding scale with the average being the stated mining speed.
Jagged: Inverse of stonebound. Does more damage the higher the durability.
Reinforced: Has a 1:X chance of the tool taking damage when mining (effectively increasing the durability in a linear scale).
Writable/Thaumic: Adds an additional modifier/

Others such as knockback/luck/beheading/smelting/etc. are explained.

Notes for tools:
As far as I know, mining level/speed is affected by the head (and plates), and durability modified by the handle. The binding does not seem to impact either, meaning that you can get additional effect by choosing your binding carefully.

Materials of significance:
Early metals: Basically down to what you have, and what it gives. Go with what you are plentiful in.
Steel: The only non-TC alloy capable of mining cobalt and ardite.
Slime (green): Best handle modifier pre-manylyyn.

Notes on modifiers:
Diamonds/Emeralds: Diamonds add 500 durability, and emeralds double durability (can both be used). So, use diamonds when your durability is less than 1000, and emeralds after. Diamonds also allow you to mine obsidian.
Charging: If you have the infrastructure for EU, this is a very good way to do away with the need for durability modifiers, leaving you with more space for other things. This also means that durability in the tool makeup is meaningless, meaning that you can select the head for speed and make the rest out of paper for the modifiers.
Fortune/Smelting: I believe that (when interaction is turned on, as it is in the last few versions of the packs) this has the ability to beat out even the factorisation processing lines. Note, applies to anything that will drop items when cooked (logs, potatoes, ores, etc.).

General notes on the mod:
There aren't enough modifiers to have a one-tool-for-everything tool. But, when you get to the nether-material stage, it is worth adding something to prevent yourself from needing to repair them, either charging or auto-repair works well, if you can support it charging is best.
For diggers, the only really key modifiers are: Luck, smelting, silk-touch and speed. I'll usually load up on luck (and possibly smelting), charging and then a huge amount of speed.
For weapons, it's more complicated. Beheading is great for looting wither skulls (as shown by DW20), knockback can be useful against creepers, quartz improves the raw damage (less effect on things like rapiers), and necrotic bones let you life steal. Personally, I tend to go with a broadsword, charging, and load it up with quartz and looting. I'll then have a cleaver with beheading when I need skulls.

Reactions: Cirom

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Reinforced: Has a 1:X chance of the tool taking damage when mining (effectively increasing the durability in a linear scale).
Shouldn't this be 1:X+1 chance? Reinforced 1 has a 1/2 chance to take damage, not 1/3.

Charging: If you have the infrastructure for EU, this is a very good way to do away with the need for durability modifiers, leaving you with more space for other things. This also means that durability in the tool makeup is meaningless, meaning that you can select the head for speed and make the rest out of paper for the modifiers.
Unless it's been changed, I think it's worth to consider that if you have a EU-powered tool, you might want one piece to be ardite for Stonebound 2, then damage the tool to nearly broken, thus getting the speed boost while never using durability again (just using EU).

Fortune/Smelting: I believe that (when interaction is turned on, as it is in the last few versions of the packs) this has the ability to beat out even the factorisation processing lines. Note, applies to anything that will drop items when cooked (logs, potatoes, ores, etc.).
Yes, fully powered I think a Fortune 3/Autosmelt would give average 3.2 ingots per ore, assuming the ore is smeltable in a smeltery. Not sure what happens if they aren't.

There aren't enough modifiers to have a one-tool-for-everything tool. But, when you get to the nether-material stage, it is worth adding something to prevent yourself from needing to repair them, either charging or auto-repair works well, if you can support it charging is best.
For diggers, the only really key modifiers are: Luck, smelting, silk-touch and speed. I'll usually load up on luck (and possibly smelting), charging and then a huge amount of speed.
Since moss works (much!) better above-ground, I think a good rule of thumb is that for choppers and stuff you use rarely (like the brick-maker whatever it's called), use moss, for diggers, use EU (if you have the infrastructure).

Personally, I tend to go with a broadsword, charging, and load it up with quartz and looting. I'll then have a cleaver with beheading when I need skulls.
I usually go with a bronze longsword as soon as I get bronze, and start enchanting it with looting ASAP. Then when I go into the nether and get manyullyn I already have a bit of looting to get loads of blaze rods and wither bones easily, and with the quartz from the nether I can make either a manyullun broadsword or a steel tier 2 sword and add quartz and wither bones to max out damage/life drain for when I'm actually threatened. Then I have a high-damage weapon for when I'm in danger and a useful jumping tool/looter for when I'm not.
Just a personal preference :3

EDIT (yay finally got editing to work): NightB1ade: Note that that info on the wiki only applies to T1 tools, T2 tools work quite differently.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Shouldn't this be 1:X+1 chance? Reinforced 1 has a 1/2 chance to take damage, not 1/3.
According to the wiki posted here, it seems to be a 10% chance per level not to take damage, which fits, as reinforced X becomes unbreakable.
Unless it's been changed, I think it's worth to consider that if you have a EU-powered tool, you might want one piece to be ardite for Stonebound 2, then damage the tool to nearly broken, thus getting the speed boost while never using durability again (just using EU).
Not thought about doing this. Does the check check the durability and not the charge, then? Wasn't aware of that.
Yes, fully powered I think a Fortune 3/Autosmelt would give average 3.2 ingots per ore, assuming the ore is smeltable in a smeltery. Not sure what happens if they aren't.
It's not whether it's smeltable in a smeltery, it checks furnace code as to whether it can be cooked, hence why it works on anything that can be cooked, like charcoal and potatoes.
Since moss works (much!) better above-ground, I think a good rule of thumb is that for choppers and stuff you use rarely (like the brick-maker whatever it's called), use moss, for diggers, use EU (if you have the infrastructure).
I tend to go on what I'm using at the time. If I've made it to advanced jetpacks, then I'll use EU, otherwise auto-repair has never broken on me yet.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, is that right? Would you mind explaining. Would love to understand more about Tinker's!
Well, as I said in my first post on the topic, for example the binding affects the handle modifier (and thus the final durability) of tier two tools, while your link says binding only affects special materials. And of course since durability is calculated completely different, the durability ratings doesn't really match up in a list like that - for example, the difference between wood and stone is not 72 points in a Hammer, it's more like 216 points or something. Unless one knows the x3 multiplier for that tool it won't make sense.

But I'm not sure that my calculation above is correct - it may be that there isn't some arbitrarily sized modifier; for example, a hammer has a x3 mod while a lumber axe has a x2.5 mod, but a hammer has three pieces on the head; it might be that the head modifier is based on the amount of parts composing the head (in case of the hammer, the actual hammerhead plus the two large plates). I don't know how that works though. It was a while ago too, so it might not be exactly x3 or exactly x2.5, but somewhere around those parts.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
According to the wiki posted here, it seems to be a 10% chance per level not to take damage, which fits, as reinforced X becomes unbreakable.
That's... weird. I thought it worked like the Unbreakable enchantment. I'll do a quick test on how many blocks I can break with a paper tool with different Reinforced and report back.
EDIT: Seems you're right, a 39 dur tool gave 40 with no reinforced, 46 with reinforced 2 and 54 with reinforced 3, which seems reasonable for 10% extra per level but not reasonable if it worked like unbreakable.

That means reinforced is pretty crappy and not really worth considering at all. I've always considered paper vs obsidian binding an actual choice, guess it isn't.

Not thought about doing this. Does the check check the durability and not the charge, then? Wasn't aware of that.
Previously I know it worked like that. I also know many people thought it loopholey and I'm sure mDiyo was made aware of that opinion. I have no idea if mDiyo would share that opinion and change how it works though. So, as far as I know it works, but I haven't tested and I wouldn't be surprised if it changed.

It's not whether it's smeltable in a smeltery, it checks furnace code as to whether it can be cooked, hence why it works on anything that can be cooked, like charcoal and potatoes.
Ah, I see. Of course. I don't know why I thought it was related to smelting.

Heh, now I want to see a true smeltery enchantment that made it into liquid. Like, every stone turns into molten seared stone and burns you alive. Heh.

NightB1ade

Jul 29, 2019
I found this here: http://ftbwiki.org/Tools_(Tinker's_Construct)

Shame it doesn't have more that those three.

Pickaxe / Shovel / Sword / Hatchet
DurabilityTotal = HeadDur x HandleMod
Example: Stone Head (131), Stone Handle (x0.5), Any type of binding. 131 x 0.5 = 65.5 ≈ 65

Mattock
DurabilityTotal = ( HeadDur + HeadDur ) x 3 x 0.25

Hammer
DurabilityTotal =Floor[ ( PlateDur + HeadDur + PlateDur) / 3 ] x 9 x HandleMod

EDIT: It suggests that there is a x3 modifier (as / 3 then * 9) on hammers