[TiC] How do you smelt villagers into liquified emerald? Is it still possible?

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been trying it out and it doesn't seem to be working. Fill up smeltery with 15 blocks of iron, melt it down, drop villager in, doesn't take any damage (besides fall damage). What am I doing wrong?

Update 1: FIXED - It looks like the smeltery partially broke at some point. It could still smelt and output stuff, but the molten metal wasn't doing any damage. I broke it down, rebuilt, and it seems to be functioning properly now. I should also note that the latest DW20 v1.0.11 is using TiC v1.5.2.4, but the latest version is 1.5.2.6. Not sure if that has something to do with what happened.

Update 2: I think I figured out the bug. If you replace any block in the structure (ie taking a brick out and putting in a drain), molten metal won't damage mobs in the smelter anymore. Breaking and replacing the controller, then smelting the metal again, fixes the problem. This worked even though there were already mobs in the smelter (don't have to smelt first, then drop mobs).

Last edited:

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
Looked at the TinkersWorkshop.txt in the config folder, didn't see anything related to smelting villagers.

Closest thing was "Allow horses to be melted down for glue"=true

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
It should still be possible. Are you allowing the metal to become molten first? You need molten material in the smeltery to cause damage to creatures inside the smeltery.

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, I smelted 135 ingots worth of iron into Molten Iron. Dropped villager in, nothing happens.

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
Fixed it. It looks like the smeltery partially broke at some point. It could still smelt and output stuff, but the molten metal wasn't doing any damage. I broke it down, rebuilt, and it seems to be functioning properly now.

Edit: I should also note that the latest DW20 v1.0.11 is using TiC v1.5.2.4, but the latest version is 1.5.2.6. Not sure if that has something to do with what happened.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Is there anywhere to learn about this kind of thing about TiC, I didn't know that we could smelt villagers, I know all the basics and how to create the best tools, but now you're getting me quite interested in knowing more...

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
The Mighty Smelting book talks about the stuff you can smelt. Then I would just use NEI to look up the material in question (ie 640mb of liquified emerald can be cast into a gem).

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
I think I figured out the bug. If you replace any block in the structure (ie taking a brick out and putting in a drain), molten metal won't damage mobs in the smelter anymore. Breaking and replacing the controller, then smelting the metal again, fixes the problem. This worked even though there were already mobs in the smelter (don't have to smelt first, then drop mobs).

Updated OP to reflect

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
That give me an idea here, FTB is all about combining mods right, so why not combine a MFR auto-spawner to drop villagers into the TiC Smeltery, I know, I'm evil here, and to generate mob essence, the dirty trick with slimes killed by mob grinders still work, just need to be patient, if in a hurry, slime embigeering is your friend...

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
...and to generate mob essence, the dirty trick with slimes killed by mob grinders still work, just need to be patient, if in a hurry, slime embigeering is your friend...
1.6.4 version still works? Doesn't the harvester just kill off the big slime without spawning the small ones?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
That give me an idea here, FTB is all about combining mods right, so why not combine a MFR auto-spawner to drop villagers into the TiC Smeltery, I know, I'm evil here, and to generate mob essence, the dirty trick with slimes killed by mob grinders still work, just need to be patient, if in a hurry, slime embigeering is your friend...

I did something similar to this, only I've run into the problem of actually extracting the liquid emerald from the smeltery...
you first need to have a liquid inside the smeltery to smelt villagers, but if you start extracting liquid from the smeltery, the first to come out is the liquid you used first to kill the villagers. you can use for example fluiducts to ignore that first liquid, but it seems the first liquid needs to come out before the second liquid can be drained.

though I haven't experimented very long with this, so who knows, maybe I missed something

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, I read about this not too long ago, you can click in the molten metal in the smeltery controller's GUI and choose which liquid to drain first.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Loufmier

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
Afaik whatever you put in first, comes out first. So whatever's at the bottom. Just put 1 ingot in, then start the villager factory. When the smeltery is full of emerald, drain that 1 ingot into an ingot cast, then drain the emerald into either a gem cast or a block.

wallofchaos

Jul 29, 2019
anyone get TC working with MCPC+ ? I thought i read the thread saying it wasnt compadible. that was about a month ago. So far I cant make anything. the very basics. single player works. MP doesnt with MCPC+

The Snipe

Jul 29, 2019
Working on a system with this, using both MFR spawners and infinate villager breeders to smelt down for emeralds for trading, my question is.. does anyone know how many emeralds you get per villager smelted?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Working on a system with this, using both MFR spawners and infinate villager breeders to smelt down for emeralds for trading, my question is.. does anyone know how many emeralds you get per villager smelted?
It shouldn't be hard to set up a creative world test for this, just make a smeltery, melt down one ingot, check how many mB one ingot is, then throw in a villager egg, wait for it to die off, then compare the mB of emerald produced to the mB of one ingot.

At least I'm pretty sure one emerald gem and one ingot are the same mB... Might be worth checking by also testing how much one melted emerald comes out to in mB.