Thermal Expansion to Buildcraft power (DW20 1.6.4)-possible?

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I was under the impression, watching DW's FC2 series, that you could transmit BC power from an energy cell, via a conduit. I've not been able to get it to work, however. Did I misunderstand that capability, or am I doing it wrong?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You are both correct and misunderstanding that capability.

Confused yet? Don't worry, it's simple.

Thermal Expansion now runs on 'Redstone Flux' (RF). However, RF can seamlessly convert to MJ (at a 10:1 ratio) without a problem. So while an energy cell contains RF instead of MJ, you could use it to power machines that require MJ.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply. And issue resolved, for some reason it wasn't working with the Ender-Thermic pump in my test world, but now it's working fine. Most likely user error :p

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The TE3 Energy Cells are pure RF with no MJ conversion. To convert to MJ for things like the Rolling Machine, Forestry machines, etc.,. you have to have use Energy Conduit. It's *only* the Conduit from TE3 that can output RF *and* MJ. All other TE3 energy "producers" are purely RF.

This means you need to use at least 1 TE3 Conduit between a TE3 Dynamo or Energy Conduit and your MJ consumer.

Edit : NVM. You got it to work. Yeah !

Sir Reginald Lee IV

Jul 29, 2019
I beg you all forgive me for butting in, but I'm having rather the opposite problem: Converting MJ to RF.

In days of old, I used to love setting up a central power station for my base using banks of Railcraft steam engines to pump Buildcraft MJs into the old TE conduits. Is there any way that a system like that is still possible? If so, I beseech you all enlighten me.

I've tried a brief test in a creative world, hooking up an Industrial Steam Engine to a TE3 conduit (the highest level non-creative version, if that helps) right next to a TE3 Steam Dynamo. I found that 1. unlike the Steam Dynamo, the ISE would not rotate to face the conduit, which was joining to it from the side, and 2. the ISE would not output any power, merely storing it up in its buffer & creeping closer & closer to the red zone (I ultimately had to destroy it before it went critical. I know they don't explode anymore, but it still made me nervous. Besides, it's creative mode; I can do that).

So, returning to the original thesis: Can one convert MJ to RF, and if so, how?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I beg you all forgive me for butting in, but I'm having rather the opposite problem: Converting MJ to RF.

In days of old, I used to love setting up a central power station for my base using banks of Railcraft steam engines to pump Buildcraft MJs into the old TE conduits. Is there any way that a system like that is still possible? If so, I beseech you all enlighten me.

I've tried a brief test in a creative world, hooking up an Industrial Steam Engine to a TE3 conduit (the highest level non-creative version, if that helps) right next to a TE3 Steam Dynamo. I found that 1. unlike the Steam Dynamo, the ISE would not rotate to face the conduit, which was joining to it from the side, and 2. the ISE would not output any power, merely storing it up in its buffer & creeping closer & closer to the red zone (I ultimately had to destroy it before it went critical. I know they don't explode anymore, but it still made me nervous. Besides, it's creative mode; I can do that).

So, returning to the original thesis: Can one convert MJ to RF, and if so, how?
In a word: No.

KL explicitly did not build in conversion from MJ to RF on purpose so pipes were not obviated. He didn't want to step on the BC crew's toes. As such, do not expect any such thing coming out of KL or the CoFH crew any time soon. A third-party modder might come up with something, though.

However, there's a far easier solution to your problem.

Steam Dynamos can accept steam from RC tanks. Use them instead of the Industrial Steam Engines and save yourself the steel. A Steam Dynamo is roughly equivalent to a Commercial Steam Engine, so you'll need twice as many.

Last edited:
Reactions: MigukNamja

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe it's possible to do it directly. As you noticed, conduits will not accept power from a buildcraft engine. That said, you can still use a steam boiler with the steam dynamo. You'll need more dynamos than ISEs, but it's a solid work around.

Edit: Sneekey types faster than me, apparently.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
didnt you read DW pack... as far as thats concenred DW pack has no enderIO nor does it have engineer's toolbox

I did not see Sir Reginald Lee IV talk about the DW pack, I did see him ask this: "Can one convert MJ to RF, and if so, how?", so uhm ok!

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Steam Dynamos can accept steam from RC tanks. Use them instead of the Industrial Steam Engines and save yourself the steel. A Steam Dynamo is roughly equivalent to a Commercial Steam Engine, so you'll need twice as many.

I have a relatively slow client and will start experiencing noticable client lag when I have had ~5 or more 36HP boilers's worth of Industrial Steam Engines (ISEs), i.e. around 100. It's probably the particle effects and per-tick rendering.

This world, I went with Steam Dynamos (SDs) instead of ISEs and I'm glad I did. I currently have 4 36HP boiler's worth of SDs, i.e. 144, and have suffered no lag. I am going to keep scaling to at least 10x 36HP worth, i.e. 360 SDs, and see if I notice any lag. I don't need that much RF power, but it's a sandbox game.

Reactions: Padfoote

badgerface5

Jul 29, 2019
hello i am having trouble with getting my filler to accept power. I hooked up and energy cell linked with a conduit and the filller seems to drain power but doesn't actually do any thing when i have placed in the clear pattern

badgerface5

Jul 29, 2019
issue resolved it was a problem with the filler I think the area I was setting it 2 clear was 2 big and its wouldn't work. Dindn't know the filler had a limit if anyone knows these numbers i would be happy to know them for future notice

badgerface5

Jul 29, 2019
discovered I was digging into a volcano and had hit the channel of lava that runs straight down it thats why the filler was not working