The next DW20 pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all. Is there any news regarding what's going to be in the next Direwolf20 modpack? I've been using a modified version of the 1.5.2 pack, but I don't even know what version of Minecraft the next pack will be for. I've been holding off updating to 1.6.2 because I just don't want to play the game without Thermal Expansion. However I saw a recent Forgecraft video showing that TE was back. Been kind of wary about the new versions of these mods, since a so much has changed that I'm not sure is a good idea. I really don't like the idea of being forced to use Gregtech's recipes for IC2, and I am not thrilled about the changes to Buildcraft's energy system. I much preferred storing my Buildcraft energy in Redstone Energy Cells from TE. To me, the new changes really seem a lot like taking a big sledgehammer to the modpack and making the mods not work so well together anymore. Maybe I'm missing something, but I am starting to feel like I'm falling behind now with still using 1.5.2. So any news about the next DW20 pack would be very much appreciated, especially as it relates to my above stated concerns.
Thanks

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
The next pack will be for 1.6.4, and it will come out when the launcher does.

RF can be used in place of MJ for many things, including fillers and I think quarries. You just can't use Buildcraft engines to fill the cells.

The new IC2 stuff isn't too bad for what it can do later for ore output.

Reactions: TheMantis

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
"when the launcher does" is kind of ambiguous. Is there any news on an ETA for that? What is meant by this? The launcher works just fine, doesn't it? Is it being rewritten?

Filling redstone cells: Can I still use Railcraft steam engines? My standard late-game power setup is a high pressure boiler, and redstone energy conduits filling a bank of maybe 35 energy cells as a buffer, and on the other side of the battery bank is more conduits powering the entire base. I don't know anything yet about the kind of power TE uses now. What doesn't it work on? Assembly table lasers? Advanced bee machines? Oh I hope those still work. What a mess :( Also, what stores MJ now?

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
RF conduits currently automatically convert into MJ when attached to an MJ machine. The Steam Dynamo can take steam from your Railcraft boiler and turn it into RF, which can be stored in Energy cells. Then want to power a quarry? Conduits automatically convert. Bee machines? Conduits automatically convert. It works on any MJ receiving machine. With the new MJ power paradigm, nothing stores it now. If you want to store energy, use RF.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, ok so RF is really a replacement for MJ for people who like the way MJ used to work then, it seems. I don't really understand how the new MJ works at all yet, so I guess I'll just leave that alone for now.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
This is the most recent information we have regarding the status of the mod packs and the launcher.
Informally speaking, we have the universal configs, we have the mod lists in place for the various modpacks , we have a launcher. We are currently at the stage of getting the modpacks to be read and downloaded by the launcher and some fine tuning. Slow is currently doing some home remodeling we're hoping when he comes back we will have a better ETA option.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like I just gotta sit tight for a bit longer and wait for the new release. Was going to start up a new 1.5.2 world but I think I'll hold out for the new pack if its going to be pretty soon.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I wouldn't. I'm not expecting this thing to come out until after Christmas.

HangingLotus

Jul 29, 2019
i would suggest resonant rise on the atlauncher as it is for 1.6.4. the current version of the pack has thermal expansion in it so you can play around with it. it is not necessary to create an account for the launcher as you only need your minecraft account.

Reactions: SonOfABirch

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Not really sure what you're saying there HL, but from what I understand, a person can manually build a modpack or they can use the FTB launcher to just download it all preconfigured. The pack that is currently installed on my PC is the DW20 1.5.2 modpack which I ported into MultiMC and then removed a few mods and added a few mods and tweaked a few config files. I'm happy with it as a 1.5.2 setup, but I'd like to get up to speed with the 1.6 mods, and that means either (a) waiting for the FTB release or (b) manually downloading all 80+ new mods and building a new modpack from scratch.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Not really sure what you're saying there HL, but from what I understand, a person can manually build a modpack or they can use the FTB launcher to just download it all preconfigured. The pack that is currently installed on my PC is the DW20 1.5.2 modpack which I ported into MultiMC and then removed a few mods and added a few mods and tweaked a few config files. I'm happy with it as a 1.5.2 setup, but I'd like to get up to speed with the 1.6 mods, and that means either (a) waiting for the FTB release or (b) manually downloading all 80+ new mods and building a new modpack from scratch.
What he's saying is that there is another launcher called the "AT Launcher" that provides premade packs in a similar manner to how the FTB Launcher does. On the AT Launcher is a 1.6.4 modpack called "Resonant Rise", which already has all the ID conflicts resolved and configs tweaked. HangedLotus is suggesting you give it a try.

(I personally prefer making my own, but that's just my modus operandi)

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
https://plus.google.com/communities/109856948017213754039
Resonant Rise G+ group.

http://resonant-rise.com/forums/index.php
Resonant Rise Forums.

http://www.atlauncher.com/download/
Where you can download the launcher.

Just as FTB proved it wasn't only technic that could build a modpack launcher, ATLauncher has proved that you don't need everyone's permissions to build a modpack (Those mods that one doesn't have permission for, the launcher will automatically direct you to their adfly/whatever links)

Bubbleo

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I would go to the ATLauncher and use the Resonant Rise Pack. FTB seems to have become extremely vague about its future and there updates. No news, updates, nothing but hearsay and speculations. By the sounds of it not even there own staff really know what is going on.

I really do not know why such secrecy and stuff regarding the new laucher and the releases of new modpacks. Maybe they should get some tips from the guys that made the ATLauncher :p

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
RF only converts to MJ but not MJ to RF unless you have Mekanism installed and used the Universal Cable to charge your cube.

Other than that, I have nothing else to add to this conversation. :p

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to install RR. Wow, the AT Launcher really bombs due to relying on other mods' URLs. Thaumic Tinkerer download link is broken at the moment, so I imagine this is going to make me have to start over with the AT Launcher since I'll have to abort and try again later.

Bubbleo

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to install RR. Wow, the AT Launcher really bombs due to relying on other mods' URLs. Thaumic Tinkerer download link is broken at the moment, so I imagine this is going to make me have to start over with the AT Launcher since I'll have to abort and try again later.

You could always go back to the successful launcher like FTB ......oh thats right no 1.6 mod packs yet....I had no issue downloading the Thaumic Tinkere download this morning... I guess you find it extremely tiresome to click that download button :)

Reactions: SonOfABirch

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
yeah, tried it this morning... errored out as well. But I didn't spend much time on it.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I just use the vanilla launcher (new ine, 1.6?) Install forge and download the mods manually.

Still learning how to decipher and fix block/item IDs conflicts.

Having fun doing that but some mods are buggy with others at the moment, e.g. ExtraUtils with TE3 regarding ExU's certain blocks able to use in placed of glass/hardened glass. :(

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Its working now, so I managed to get an instance built with RR. Now to see if I can port it over to MultiMC so I can have total control over which mods are included.

[EDIT] Oh poo... that totally crashed. It loads just fine in the AT Launcher, but when I try to import the instance into MultiMC, it crashes. Are they somehow incompatible? Isn't a minecraft folder fairly universal?