The New Tekkit Pack (no IC2, no RP2, adds GalactiCraft)

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Aaaaaaand suddenly Yogscast switching to FTB makes perfect sense.

I know I'm shooting for the moon here folks, but please don't comment on how you feel about the Technic Platform as a whole. This thread is for their new 1.5.1 modpack specifically.

The interesting part of the new Tekkit mod list is what isn't on there.

It looks like from here on out Tekkit is ditching IC2 and RedPower entirely. Another much more surprising choice is the decision to include Galacticraft, a mod I'm not very familiar with at all but hear good things about.

The mod list in general looks very interesting, very focused, and notably lacks major power generators. Taking the pack as a whole, how would you feel about playing it (for those of you with lingering issues re: Technic, assume I'm talking about an FTB pack with identical mods for all our sakes)? I'm very tempted to try it out and see how it feels, personally. Having a breath of fresh air is always nice.

I'm not yet convinced that Thermal Expansion serves as an adequate full replacement for IC2 - the most notable exclusion here is the total absence of power tools which feels like quite the kick in the pants. Even so it seems like most of the important "technical" bases are covered in this new pack and they've managed to do it with far less mods than usual as well, which is very impressive.

Also, hooray for adding AE! Glad to see that mod's getting the recognition it deserves so quickly after releasing.

Reactions: RedBoss

budge

Jul 29, 2019
They list Modular Power Suits, so no fear, there is a power tool!

Regarding AE, I will never play Minecraft without it again. Yay-E.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The pack I put together for myself doesn't include IC2 either so this actually sounds VERY appealing. On a quick scan I may actually try this out.

I didn't include IC2 (and by extension Gregtech) because all I want the mod for is the tools and armor and I can get cool armor from MPS. They don't have Tinker's Construct which adds another style of tool crafting. They also don't have Ars Magica or Natura which I included due to potential for magical shenanigans and random structure generation. The Yogs did a spotlight on Galacticraft and I watched as much as I could tolerate. It looks potentially cool but buggy. I'd rather have something like Atum but that's my play style.

I think TE is a good enough replacement for IC2 for my need and play style. TBH the only reason I use the advanced IC2 machines was to craft things for IC2 based gear. I don't need to macerate 4 stacks of coal if I'm not fooling about with IC2. Its also easy to make in line processing and gain speed with adding a few more machines and only having to deal with 1 power system is extremely appealing.

With no 1.5.1 option for FTB, it won't surprise me to see a LOT more of these alternatives. It just doesn't make sense to wait around for FTB to update to 1.6 when most of the major mods are ready to go.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
It looks like from here on out Tekkit is ditching IC2 and RedPower entirely. Another much more surprising choice is the decision to include Galacticraft, a mod I'm not very familiar with at all but hear good things about.
I'm not surprised about RP2. Eloraam may have reappeared and started updating RP2 again, but I could see the guys over at Tekkit not wanting to get roped into another mod that might not update anymore. The IC2 thing seems more surprising, but looking at the rest of the pack it seems like they are going for a "One True Powersource" setup, Avoiding IC2 in favor if solidifying behind one power source.

The mod list in general looks very interesting, very focused, and notably lacks major power generators. Taking the pack as a whole, how would you feel about playing it (for those of you with lingering issues re: Technic, assume I'm talking about an FTB pack with identical mods for all our sakes)? I'm very tempted to try it out and see how it feels, personally. Having a breath of fresh air is always nice.
I'd give it a go, just for the experience. I've never been a heavy IC2 user, so I'd likely be very comfortable with the pack.

I'm not yet convinced that Thermal Expansion serves as an adequate full replacement for IC2 - the most notable exclusion here is the total absence of power tools which feels like quite the kick in the pants. Even so it seems like most of the important "technical" bases are covered in this new pack and they've managed to do it with far less mods than usual as well, which is very impressive.
TE alone, true. TE + MFR + MPS(With the upcoming MJ charging support) + Buildcraft, and you have a MJ ready powerhouse, equal to IC2. I've also noticed there is currently an undercurrent (heh) of dissatisfaction with base IC2, leading to a lot of people either not using it or only using it because of GregTech.

Also, hooray for adding AE! Glad to see that mod's getting the recognition it deserves so quickly after releasing.

Yeah, this is just quoted for truth. That mod is amazing.

Reactions: RedBoss and AlanEsh

Bihlbo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently using the DW20 pack, but after taking a look at the other packs I could be using Magic World and I'd barely miss out on anything. The only part of IC2 I use at all are the drills and jetpacks. I set up a system to make UU matter just to see if I could, but it's ignorable. I really like Red Power and Industrial Craft as mods and I have tons of respect for their design, but I don't like using them. So this new Tekkit isn't getting rid of mods I'm looking for anyway, and it adds Galacticraft - I'm not saying that I'd massively enjoy minecraft more if I get to go into space, but I really want to go into space so I've wanted to try this one out for a long time. I'm not looking to change modpacks and start a new world at all, but this is certainly tempting.

Bloodfrost

Jul 29, 2019
Its weird how some peoples perspective is. I have always shyed away from BC and Thermal Expansion and always enjoyed the IC2 end of things. I love the advanced machines, its like... my favorite thing. I enjoy tossing some things into an induction furnace and rotory macerator and waiting like 45 seconds for 2 stacks to cook and 1 stack to grind. Most people talk of automation anyways and that is in the end what it boils down to... its just weird how when it comes to IC2 VS BC most ppl enjoy the BC...

It must come from when i first started using the Beta pack for FTB and had no freaking idea whati was doing and started with EU instead of MJ... then one day i was like...wtfs MJ hahaha. Ah memories...

Wouldnt use this kuz theres no IC2 =p.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
They list Modular Power Suits, so no fear, there is a power tool!

Regarding AE, I will never play Minecraft without it again. Yay-E.
Yea just wait when they nerf it with having to get Nether Quartz for cables and power compensation at large.. Oh and you won't be able to modify power usage anymore the config.