The importance of the Aroma Backup Mod

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I have had numerous corrupted saves throughout my Minecraft experience, modded and vanilla, and I have never thought to look towards this mod. This mod basically allows to initiate a command to backup your world at any time and it is saved as a zipped folder in your FTB directory for the pack in a folder named backups. The world is also backed up each time you enter it. The world is also auto backed up every 30 mins (default). I think this mod is very important, and I think it should be added to more and more packs as they get updated. Keep in mind: the backup folder will eventually get very, very large after a while so don't forget to delete backups from several days ago.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
I just wish the mod could do incremental backups. I have a large world and only small parts of it change with any frequency.
Basically, I want something where every 10th backup or so, it does a full and the next 9 are incrementals such as
"c:\Program Files\7-zip\7z" u FullBackup.7z MyGameName -ms=off -mx=9 -t7z -u- -up0q3r2x2y2z0w2!Incremental01.7z
And then alternate between two sets of full backups (since deleting one will invalidate the incrementals after it, but I can usually get a usable world out of just the incrementals in a pinch.)

Time to find that mod's MCF post.

IMarv

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I personally prefer WorldStateCheckpoints when it comes to a mod for backups.
it allows you to use it through an ingame GUI and you're even able to load up previous backups of your world while you've that world loaded, so you don't even need to exit the world

LokiChaos

Jul 29, 2019
Backups are always good practice. I don't use Aroma, but rather rsync script + cron to handle backups (On servers and I do incremental backups with it). Local/SP worlds I backup before launch, also using a script & rsync.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
It's a bit like BackupExec except it's not TOTAL UNMITIGATED HORSESHIT DESIGNED BY INBRED DONKEYBUGGERERS.