The future of automation

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
I have been thinking recently about the number of things that can be automated now using modded minecraft. Everything from resource gathering to processing to crafting can be automated in some way or another.

Mods also seem to be tending towards automation, especially with the introduction of tick rate increases that make automated processes much faster.

My question is: when can we expect to see a mod that can automate automation? I know that this would defeat the point of automation and make the game OP, but nonetheless it would be interesting to have a mod that players could upload blueprints for that could automatically be used well with all mods (BC builder doesn't work too well) .

When such a mod is created, OP will gain a while new level...

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I would absolutely hate that mod. And it wouldn't make anything "OP", it would just be more to do. Anyway, I'm not that into automation lately, so I'm not sure about how all the techies would like that. As a magic guy who automates like 5 tasks and is then done with that, this idea is blehg.

But yeah, "OP" isn't real.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I'm hoping 1.8 introduces more automation mods, MFR is currently not up to date and that's the most automated mod I know! :p
I would say Forestry and TE make up for MFR, but I don't know of any possible way to continue obtaining fertilizer.

I resisted from making a pun out of Santa's last sentence...

Reactions: casilleroatr

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I resisted from making a pun out of Santa's last sentence...

Ya hear that @SatanicSanta? He was going to say you aren't real!

On topic though, automation is great for tedious tasks, but automating just for the sake of automating something just gets boring to me. I like to have some sort of interaction with my machines, and automating everything removes that interaction and makes things seem pointless to me. Obviously, this varies based on the person, but with the current trend of ever increasingly easy automation, I'm saying 1.9 for something like this.

And Ninja'd on the Santa thing, but I don't care.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
It'll lower the value and enjoyment of designing one's own automatic systems.
(bearing in mind its already lost a lot of value with super-carry-everything pipes and machines that automate themselves)
At heart Minecraft is a game centered on survival, building, design and engineering.
If you take away those core values; it isn't a game anymore.
I wouldn't even call it an antfarm, as an antfarm actually requires feeding once in a while.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Ya hear that @SatanicSanta? He was going to say you aren't real!

On topic though, automation is great for tedious tasks, but automating just for the sake of automating something just gets boring to me. I like to have some sort of interaction with my machines, and automating everything removes that interaction and makes things seem pointless to me. Obviously, this varies based on the person, but with the current trend of ever increasingly easy automation, I'm saying 1.9 for something like this.

And Ninja'd on the Santa thing, but I don't care.
100% agreed
I think that the worst part about the increased automation is that it is also becoming easier and easier. I would be more for it if the more you automate, the harder/more complex it gets. But it's basically staying at the same simplicity and ease throughout all of it.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Say it! Grrrrr:mad:

Santa is grumpy.

Also, I should expand on my last post and say that I do love my tech mods, but lately the majority of them have been really overdoing it with automation. This is why I love Railcraft so much, that and it can do everything apart from auto crafting.
Surely though Railcraft is heavily used with buildcraft which has auto crafting.

Reactions: RealSketch

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
but automating just for the sake of automating something just gets boring to me.

Depends, if it leads to an interesting build, why not?
I'm not doing much TC, but one of my recent builds is a semi-automatic setup for my infusion altar. Configure which items you need, push a button and it automatically puts up just enough pedestals for the craft. Pull a lever and it keeps the items on them even if one should fall off. Two other buttons to clean things up after I'm finfished.
Was that really necessary? No. Was it fun to build and set up? Hell, yes =)

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Automation is frankly meh. Thinks can be automated with hoppers, block breakers, sensors, block placers etc. in really cool ways. Or you can make some sort of magical gui based block that using "power" does all this for you in completely bland ways. If all else fails, there are things like turtles which with a bit of lua know-how can literally allow you to be the richest person on a server without having to log on to actually play the game after a bit of settup.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Automation is frankly meh. Thinks can be automated with hoppers, block breakers, sensors, block placers etc. in really cool ways. Or you can make some sort of magical gui based block that using "power" does all this for you in completely bland ways. If all else fails, there are things like turtles which with a bit of lua know-how can literally allow you to be the richest person on a server without having to log on to actually play the game after a bit of settup.
To me, I think automation should always increase the enjoyment you get out of a game

So for me, I hate having to repetitively craft something, so I'll set up automation for it
But if I start getting tired of automation all the things, then I've done something wrong and need to stop and think about life for a little while.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I have been thinking recently about the number of things that can be automated now using modded minecraft. Everything from resource gathering to processing to crafting can be automated in some way or another.

Mods also seem to be tending towards automation, especially with the introduction of tick rate increases that make automated processes much faster.

My question is: when can we expect to see a mod that can automate automation? I know that this would defeat the point of automation and make the game OP, but nonetheless it would be interesting to have a mod that players could upload blueprints for that could automatically be used well with all mods (BC builder doesn't work too well) .

When such a mod is created, OP will gain a while new level...
It is called using TE, BC, EU, IC2, CC, and AE

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
Open computers is more ballanced than cc.
Ae is not too powerfull, because its can't be done early game, And technically, we need it for a reasonable sized storage system. Ae is kinda the brain of automatic bases.
Its getting more ballanced in 1.7.

Last edited: