The ComputerCraft Games [Recruitment/Testing Phase]

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone, so last night I had a flash of brilliance and have had this huge idea, but I can't do it on my own.

The basics of this map, is that it is supposed to be played on multiplayer and it is pretty much a collection of as many computercraft games I can make (I may take user submissions for games). I think the games should not be played on a computer, but on a monitor or through some other communication such as Glowstone Illuminators, this lets people watch you play it. Each game will yield the players different points and I will keep a leaderboard of all the players and their points throughout all the games. This is really meant to be something fun to do with your friends if you want a break from Survival and just won't do without minecraft.

Current Game Ideas:
Tic Tac Toe
Connect 4
Cookie Clicker
Rubiks Cube
Monopoly
Scrabble (may not, depending on difficulty)
Guess the Code
Tetris
Pacman
Chess
Checkers
Poker/Other Gambling Games
Rock, Paper Scissors
Snap/Other Card Games
Space Invaders
The Map will work by spawning the player in a "starting" room from which the player will then walk on a pressure plate that will give him a set of Terminal Glasses and put his Player Name into the system (as well as having the Terminal Glasses Connected). The Terminal Glasses must be worn at all times and will display rules for the game and may have some features for each game (Like your tiles for scrabble). Once they are registered, they go to the Main Room which contains Portals/Teleportation to all the different games and a leaderboard of the top 25 or so players (as many as I can fit on the screen really).

Now, I am still in the concept phase, so I will not be accepting or rejecting any people wanting to help on this, but if you do, please leave your interest and maybe I can see later. The main vision of this though is to have a public server for this, and everyone can join having one big leaderboard for people to compete in.

If you think I should continue with this project, please leave your interest below. Before I start however, there are a few bridges I have to cross, there are a number of things that I have planned that I am not sure how to do, if you know how to do any of the following, please tell me how to do it.

Problems:
  • Make the player go back to the spawn after leaving the server, I don't want people to hop in the middle of someone else's game if the disconnect and reconnect where they were.
I should also point out that I currently am not in a position to host a server (I am still in high school and have no job yet), but the need for one may not need to arise if not enough people like the idea

Last edited:

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I think I know of a way to get player information using a pressure plate and either open cc sensors or open peripherals (sorry I am still on 1.5 so I am a bit out of date. I think all of open cc sensors functionality was incorporated into open peripherals in 1.6 maybe). If you use the entity sensor card in the sensor block and wrap it as a peripheral (using a special wrapping command, sensor.wrap(direction) and load the api you can use the command sensor.getTargets() to get information about all entities in its range. By default it, the smallest ranged card is about 5 blocks but the data returned by getTargets() command also gives the position so that you can make sure that the entity you are scanning is the one standing on the pressure plate. The scan can obviously be triggered by redstone from the plate. I hope that this is available for the version you are hoping to run.

Your idea sounds really nice. Good luck.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I think I know of a way to get player information using a pressure plate and either open cc sensors or open peripherals (sorry I am still on 1.5 so I am a bit out of date. I think all of open cc sensors functionality was incorporated into open peripherals in 1.6 maybe). If you use the entity sensor card in the sensor block and wrap it as a peripheral (using a special wrapping command, sensor.wrap(direction) and load the api you can use the command sensor.getTargets() to get information about all entities in its range. By default it, the smallest ranged card is about 5 blocks but the data returned by getTargets() command also gives the position so that you can make sure that the entity you are scanning is the one standing on the pressure plate. The scan can obviously be triggered by redstone from the plate. I hope that this is available for the version you are hoping to run.

Your idea sounds really nice. Good luck.
I am currently in OpenPeripherals 1.5 as well and the 1.6 version isnt out yet (but it was announced 2 days ago as becoming a serverside mod with robots and glasses being an "addons" mod). I will have to look at that, but I am mainly going to start this when 1.6 comes out so I will just have to see how it goes

I can host both a server for creating on, and host a website/future maps and files!
Thank you! if I ever get close to finishing it I might take you up on your offer

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
well direwolf20 has checkers with turtles and also links to the program for it so that should at least help with some of the coding.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
well direwolf20 has checkers with turtles and also links to the program for it so that should at least help with some of the coding.
I dont really want to use turtles for checkers. I had a try recreating it on my server I used to play on, but it was constantly buggy and crashed the server a few times by commanding like 20 turtles at once via rednet. I guess that isn't as bad as my rubiks cube though, there were 216 wireless turtles to command via rednet (4 behind each tile on the cube). So I will be redoing the rubiks cube with glowstone illuminators next time xD

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
I dont really want to use turtles for checkers. I had a try recreating it on my server I used to play on, but it was constantly buggy and crashed the server a few times by commanding like 20 turtles at once via rednet. I guess that isn't as bad as my rubiks cube though, there were 216 wireless turtles to command via rednet (4 behind each tile on the cube). So I will be redoing the rubiks cube with glowstone illuminators next time xD
You know, when Xycraft comes out, and if it has CC functionality, you could build a system using that. :3

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I could make games with Redpower Computers if the IO actually worked. Maybe I'll do some of that in 1.2.5... Install the Laser mod and do the thing Dire did.[DOUBLEPOST=1385485413][/DOUBLEPOST]Blech, Laser Mod's been abandoned. Now what to do...

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if Immibis Peripherals can connect Bundled Cables to CC Computers... I think I have an idea for monitors.

Jstuie

Jul 29, 2019
Problems:
  • Having the ability to modify a single persons information from a Terminal Glasses Bridge without modifying everyone else's that is connected. If a public server is possible, I could be managing upwards of 40 or 50 people at once and I dont think having that many Terminal Glasses Bridges is practical, as well as needing to add a new bridge for every new player for that to happen. [No idea, maybe you will have to make one for each slot on the server, then code it so that on joining, it assigns a glasses bridge to the player, and then when the player leaves and it is freed up, it can be assigned to another player]
  • Be able to get the information of a player (such as name) by stepping on a pressure plate [theres a thing called a PIM which is like a pressure plate, i think that can do it]
  • Adding Custom commands such as /help connect4. I think it maybe somewhat possible with the chatbox, but I am not entirely sure. [ChatBox is probibly your best bet, the terminal glasses can read chat commands]
  • Make the player go back to the spawn after leaving the server, I don't want people to hop in the middle of someone else's game if the disconnect and reconnect where they were. [Bukkit Plugins, you can use MCPC+ legacy to us eplugins alongside forge
  • Make it so that I can have some worlds in Adventure Mode (so no block breaking) and some worlds in Survival (for when it is needed, but I am sure there will be a game where block breaking is needed) [Have a pressure plate at the world spawn that people get teleported onto, that sets their gamemode with a command block, then teleports them to the main part of that world]

Reactions: VikeStep

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
So I have fixed a few problems now

Solutions to problems:
  • Having the ability to modify a single persons information from a Terminal Glasses Bridge without modifying everyone else's that is connected
    • So, I tweeted OpenMods about this and its apparently a feature already :) it just wasn't in the documentation
  • Getting the name of a person by stepping on a pressure plate
    • I tested out the PIM, but it only tells me information of the inventory, not the person who owns the inventory
    • However, if you connect terminal glasses to a terminal glasses bridge you can access a list of people listed with p.getUsers()
  • Make it so that I can have some worlds in Adventure Mode (so no block breaking) and some worlds in Survival (for when it is needed, but I am sure there will be a game where block breaking is needed)
    • Using Command Blocks like Jstuie suggested will work perfectly
  • Adding Custom commands such as /help connect4. I think it maybe somewhat possible with the chatbox, but I am not entirely sure.
    • I was going to use the Chat Box, however i am doing this in the new 1.6 version and there is no more Chat Box (since it was in MiscPeripherals)
    • So, as a replacement, i found that I can do os.pullEvent("chat_command") and it works perfectly :)

However the following still remains
  • Make the player go back to the spawn after leaving the server, I don't want people to hop in the middle of someone else's game if the disconnect and reconnect where they were.
    • I really don't want to force the user to install plugins if they will use it for friends. I may have to make it a rule that players must go back to the spawn. I could use the MCPC+ if this becomes a popular server
As I post this, I announce the start of my building. I was really waiting for 1.6 to be released to get started properly and so that i didnt have to recreate the whole thing for 1.5.
I will be using DW20 right now, but I plan on using Monster or maybe even custom pack if I get around to it

Last edited:

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
how about make something that would trigger a redstone signle at the end of the game and then would connect the redstone to a comand block with this command :
/tp @p <x> <y> <z>
or more times depending on the number of players
note: if none is watching the game and it is just players in then maybe just replace the "@p" to "@a"

Last edited: