The best blocks, aesthetically, for building a factory?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on what you're trying to make it look like. if you want it to look like an industrial-era factory, go with bricks, stone bricks, etc. if you want it to look more like a modern/semi-futuristic factory, go with basalt, smoothstone, wool (or other colored blocks, maybe colored construction foam) for your building.

for lighting, I'd suggest RP2 lights as they look more high-tech than torches and wrathlamps, even if they don't have quire the same lighting range as wrathlamps do.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Sandstone has a smooth, seamless surface that will make your whole factory seem brighter if you use it for flooring. I tend to do that, and cracked sand on the walls. It's all preference, though.

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019
Bricks or basalt bricks. Either look awesome. Regular bricks are harder to get, but you can make a stack of clay with 4 stacks of gravel via the minium stone.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
For lighting, the RP caged lamps look pretty sweet, and they come in any color of the rainbow you want.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I am using tin block covers as it is the closest metal texture that is also microblock enabled.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at google images for old fashioned factories, brick, more brick, lots of brick, huge windows, and massive stone chimneys. Inside, loads of metal strutus, supports and pillars.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
stone brick pillars. (2x2 size)
use clay bricks for the inset walls, then have large windows that are rounded on the top. you can use brick covers instead of the full block to save on matts. that is actually how they did it in reality too. the made the walls hollow, then filled the gap with a filler material. (cement and rocks mostly. for it's strength) bricks were expensive, and are not actually a good structural material on it's own, so doing it this way looks rather realistic.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
2013-01-18_231401_zpsde245d83.png

2013-01-18_231206_zpsbd61741f.png
:D

Reactions: Antice

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Is that an Obsidian roof, or is it Basalt? My void age nexus room has an obsidian floor and roof, although I cheated and used panels for the roof. Gold pillars for the bling though.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

That is exactly what i was thinking. you mind reader you. :D
Love that clock over the entrance. nice touch there.
I really like the excecutive office you made. especially with the red carpet and the boss chair. I love that chair.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
That is exactly what i was thinking. you mind reader you. :D
Love that clock over the entrance. nice touch there.
I really like the excecutive office you made. especially with the red carpet and the boss chair. I love that chair.
I really love the brain-inna-jar on the table. Put some fear into the employees, eh?

I went full aesthetic retard on that build. There's a guardhouse, front office, lobby, semi-functional elevators (meaning they work, but will kill you if you use 'em), janitors closet, I still need to finish the buffet though :D. Heh. Will have to rework the whole work hall too. Move the boilers underground, rework and enlarge the magma crucible battery - etc. The whole working area has been growing very haphazardly and really needs tiding up.

elevators on the executive flooor
2013-02-22_174715_zps4d6b89c2.png

Work area.
2013-02-22_175128_zpsbba3be7f.png

Front office
2013-02-22_175828_zps7bf42fc2.png
:)