Thaumcraft Wand Issues

tadforever

Jul 29, 2019
so on the quest to make better wands I think I messed up with what is possible. I used staff cores and three caps with a primal charm to make so higher capacity staffs but they wont hold a focus. Is this intended? seems pointless to have a decent staff that wont hold a focus. here's what I made them from

Primal Staff Core, 3x Void Caps, and a Primal charm
it holds 375 of each and recharges itself

Dreamwood Staff Core, 3x Elementium Caps, and a Primal Charm
it also holds 375 of each and recharges from mana

now maybe because I used the scepter crafting mechanic with staff cores I am out of luck but why would it be possible if its not going to work? and they cant be used as a crafting wand either...

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Lets review.

A staff holds more vis than a regular wand, but can't craft.
A scepter holds more vis than a regular wand and has a better vis rate, but can't use foci.

You tried crafting a scepter out of a staff core, giving yourself a "staffptre".

Congratulations, you have a paperweight that holds a lot of vis, but cannot use foci OR craft.

Why did you think combining the two was a good idea?

Reactions: ljfa and Lethosos

tadforever

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't think that it would be such a miserable failure that it would be. I just wanted something to hold a lot of vis and still be useful because ichorium is such a pain to make :(
why would they make it something that could be crafted at all when there are idiots like me out in the world

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't think that it would be such a miserable failure that it would be. I just wanted something to hold a lot of vis and still be useful because ichorium is such a pain to make :(
why would they make it something that could be crafted at all when there are idiots like me out in the world

Items with the Repair enchant - and items with runic shielding - recharge themselves off of wands in the players inventory. A "staffptre" can be used for this.

Reactions: rhn

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
It could also be used for things like the infernal furnace or other in-world crafting. But yeah, a staff that's also a scepter is just really a big vis stick that can be used for Repair and runic shielding, or other things that want vis from your inventory.

tadforever

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all for the help. The runic shielding is a good idea. I'm still a little mad at the waste of resources. those dreamwood rods are a pain to craft but ill make due.
Maybe they will think of something cool to do with them in the future. the extra vis is nice.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Dreamwood wands/staves are the fastest recharging wands in FM. What are you doing that needed so much vis that you felt the need to try and cheat the vis total?

tadforever

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanted a big wand that I would never have to worry about running out of vis ever. with the added bonus of having all my foci maxed out. I have regular wands that I wanted to leave in their various machines for good. but I guess I still have work to do.