Thaumcraft - Can't activate infernal furnace?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Esmerelda

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the infernal furnace doesn't seem to be working for me? I right click on it with my wand and nothing happens.

Please look: http://imgur.com/a/9kOUP

I've read the wiki and watched a video guide and I can't for the life of me see what I'm missing. :oops:

Can someone please help me?
Thanx

EDIT: And yes I am positive they are nether bricks and not slabs

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
IIRC the obsidian should form a plus shape on all sides, which means the entire middle layer (except for the lava) needs to be obsidian.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Have you perchance already placed a grate in the empty space at the top? From memory the furnace won't activate if that block isn't air, but is fine if you put a grate or something else there afterwards.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
First, make sure it's built exactly as shown in the book. Then double-check your vis requirements. Even if your wand holds enough vis, the extra cost through using iron caps may well be pushing your vis cost above what your wand can hold. If that's the case, you need to make a new greatwood wand with gold caps

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
A lot of good advice here.
Follow the book's instructions, there is a nice "exploded" diagram of the furnace.
Make sure to put the grate in the top, without it, the multi-block structure isn't complete.
Just to be safe (if you are using the iron capped wand) wear all your Thrumcraft clothes too.. Hmm mm vis discounts!

Esmerelda

Jul 29, 2019
What does the book say about it? I thought it was like that.
The book looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/bVcx7N1.png

Follow the book's instructions, there is a nice "exploded" diagram of the furnace.
Make sure to put the grate in the top, without it, the multi-block structure isn't complete.
Just to be safe (if you are using the iron capped wand) wear all your Thrumcraft clothes too.. Hmm mm vis discounts!

Here is mine, layer by layer:
bottom: http://i.imgur.com/fyMAgRs.png
middle: http://i.imgur.com/UYxnpQf.png
top: http://i.imgur.com/yNXtD8d.png

I also tried putting a grate on top like you said, and nothing changed :/

First, make sure it's built exactly as shown in the book. Then double-check your vis requirements. Even if your wand holds enough vis, the extra cost through using iron caps may well be pushing your vis cost above what your wand can hold. If that's the case, you need to make a new greatwood wand with gold caps

I am going to try to get a gold cap want (it'll take a bit), but, correct me if I'm wrong... wouldn't the furnace tell me I didnt have enough vis to activate it if that was the case? It doesn't say or do anything....

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I built the structure first, then put in the lava... But who knows?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@Esmerelda I remembered the book wrong, sorry about that. Make sure you have the correct amount of vis in the wand, since it won't tell you if you're missing any.

Esmerelda

Jul 29, 2019
Just got the new wand and filled it to the max with vis. It made no difference, right clicking on the furnace does nothing, it just burns by ores. :mad:

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
Try digging out space all around the furnace. I saw it is connected to the wall in the back, that could be the problem.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
The grate isn't part of the multiblock, the assembled furnace just has a hole in the top.

Also, as a double check, which modpack/MC version/Thaumcraft version are you playing on?

Calech

Jul 29, 2019

Just tried a quick test in Creative and this one (4x pillars of netherbrick in the corners, rest obsidian except the grate, lava, and air space on top) does assemble with only a Gold-Capped Greatwood wand, although it will drain it completely of Ignis and Terra vis. It doesn't seem to matter where you right-click, it will still assemble if the multiblock is assembled and you have enough vis (50 of each of those two types). Even tried assembling it up against obstructions and had no issues; so if it's not working with all the requirements something must be interfering with it. Only other thing I can think of is to try placing a block in the top middle and break it to reset the 'air' in case something else has put itself in that block.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
if the cost is 50 then he's screwed because he is using iron caps so his wand has a 5% penalty, (why the hell make it with iron caps?) he'll need a better wand then

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Are you on a chunk boundary? It shouldn't matter, but I have seen weird things happen sometimes with multi blocks when it is on a chunk boundary.

You might also just try building it somewhere else. I remember an issue I had with the furnace that wouldn't form back in Magic world 2. I ended up moving it a few blocks over, and then it formed fine.

Esmerelda

Jul 29, 2019
if the cost is 50 then he's screwed because he is using iron caps so his wand has a 5% penalty, (why the hell make it with iron caps?) he'll need a better wand then
I changed it to gold caps and it didn't make a difference. She*

This may be a stupid question, but have you actually unlocked the research for it yet?
Yes

Just tried a quick test in Creative and this one (4x pillars of netherbrick in the corners, rest obsidian except the grate, lava, and air space on top) does assemble with only a Gold-Capped Greatwood wand, although it will drain it completely of Ignis and Terra vis. It doesn't seem to matter where you right-click, it will still assemble if the multiblock is assembled and you have enough vis (50 of each of those two types). Even tried assembling it up against obstructions and had no issues; so if it's not working with all the requirements something must be interfering with it. Only other thing I can think of is to try placing a block in the top middle and break it to reset the 'air' in case something else has put itself in that block.
Are you on a chunk boundary? It shouldn't matter, but I have seen weird things happen sometimes with multi blocks when it is on a chunk boundary.

You might also just try building it somewhere else. I remember an issue I had with the furnace that wouldn't form back in Magic world 2. I ended up moving it a few blocks over, and then it formed fine.

Yeah, I'm gonna try just completely moving it now, will report back. Thanks for the replies