Thaumcraft 4 research... (Help please!)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zicketizack

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone, so I'm doing some research and I think I've got an idea about how it is done. But I have a problem... So I'm researching Thaumium, I've found all the runes (I hope, don't know, does the three christals mean three different aspects?)
Any how, submitting a picture so you all can see, If you know what the heck I'm supposed to do, please tell me, thanks bye!
2014-01-22_17.57.56.png

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
It is unsolvable. Throw it out and start over, This will generate a new research note with a new puzzle which may or may not be solvable.

Ahhaha, default response is not right here. Use unlit runes to block the lines between movable runes 2 and 3, and between 3 and 4

NightB1ade

Jul 29, 2019
It is solvable!

You're bypassing one of the nodes at the top right. Move the rune that's bypassing it away or block it with another non-activated rune. You don't have to use all the runes, you just have to activate all the nodes.

EDIT: Change in response to above post changing

EDIT 2: 3 crystals don't mean that there are 3 aspects. Usually most research have up to 3 aspects, but each applicable aspect activates a differing number of runes, usually enough to complete the research, but as hiroshi42 pointed out, there are some research that you cannot solve (which is deliberate).

Zicketizack

Jul 29, 2019
It is unsolvable. Throw it out and start over, This will generate a new research note with a new puzzle which may or may not be solvable.

Ahhaha, default response is not right here. Use unlit runes to block the lines between movable runes 2 and 3, and between 3 and 4

So, I put a unlit rune between the two gray ones? and then one between the purple and gray to the right?

NightB1ade

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah if you use a unlit rune to block the path so the link only goes where you want. As long as you get all the nodes lit, you'll be good!

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you already have the path made, but its choosing the bottom gray rune instead of the unlit node.

Just move the bottom gray rune far away, or block the path with unlit runes (hint, only one of those has no chance of making you re-activate the runes :) )

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Some other hopefully helpful hints:

You do not need to use every moveable rune. Only the fixed dots need to be connected.

Some research is impossible. Either there are not enough light-able/moveable runes to connect everything or you get a research that requires a split. Since the lighted path can only go in one direction and cannot split it can be impossible. Or just incredibly annoying. In those cases throw it out and start over. Research is random so creating a new page creates a new puzzle.

If you get stuck or want some pointers, check out our resident thaumaturge Succubism's thread

Reactions: RedBoss

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Since we are giving tips ill contribute a couple more:

1) Each research has a random ditribution of runes/nodes. If you get one that looks difficult (like, the first node is in the center of the other nodes, with no clear path to connect them) feel free to discard the research and try again. For the same research there is always the same amount of nodes and aspects, but their position on the parchment can make the puzzle much difficult.

2) Try to get the research masteries ASAP, not only they make research like 5x cheaper, its also much less annoying when you can make minor adjustments to active runes (or large leaps with deactivated ones).

Reactions: Tristam Izumi

Zicketizack

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone knows why they changed the whole thaumcraft system? I liked the previous, and yeah I could go back and download older versions but I'm a bit interested in this one as well... I guess Thaumcraft 3 were just as hard in the beginning :p

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone knows why they changed the whole thaumcraft system? I liked the previous, and yeah I could go back and download older versions but I'm a bit interested in this one as well... I guess Thaumcraft 3 were just as hard in the beginning :p

I think the main reason it was changed was because all it required was lots of resources and the patience to sit and click a button for TC3 or the patience to watch a machine burn away your resources for you in TC2. At least the new system encourages exploration and examining every little thing that you find. Or you can do the slow and steady route with bookshelves/cases/whatevertheyarecalled.

For me It got old during the third playthrough, so I grab the cheat sheet on new worlds.

Reactions: Padfoote

Zicketizack

Jul 29, 2019
For me It got old during the third playthrough, so I grab the cheat sheet on new worlds.

Mate, I don't think it was made to play through more than twice, haha. But yeah, I can see how it gets old after a while. How I saw TC3 was that it was great to combine all the mods in the pack. Example a quarry from buildcraft to gather all the resources you could ever need. But that requires someone who enjoys all the mods, and I know very few do, so I guess it was for the best.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
May I hijack this thread? I just logged on to post a thread with the same topic ....

2014-01-22_200535_zpsd9117e63.png

Why?!!?

If I break the line leading to the right-most glowy dot, it connects itself to the the floating purple rune, and vice versa.

Cannot figure out what the hell i'm doing wrong. For the record, I did move the unconnected runes around. No biscuit.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@Shevron, it looks like you started from that activated dot on the bottom, which is why it won't work. Those dots cannot go in two separate directions. If you didn't start there, then I have no idea.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Ah so the order in which you start activating them is also relevant?

I thought that as long as there's a clean straight path it's ok.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
So long as you go from the end in a straight line you should be good. Starting in the middle, for example, won't work.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Ah so the order in which you start activating them is also relevant?

I thought that as long as there's a clean straight path it's ok.
The line cannot split, it cannot run in two directions at the same time. so If it is starting at the glowing dot on the far left right it is probably unsolvable and should be thrown out.

In fact if you run across any research you cannot solve, throw it out. If it looks to difficult, there are too many runes to move, or you have to connect the 4 corners of the page, throw it out. It is usually cheaper and easier to throw out research and get a new puzzle than try and fiddle with difficult notes.

also I am derp: right not left. right node as start is impossible

Reactions: Padfoote

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
The line cannot split, it cannot run in two directions at the same time. so If it is starting at the glowing dot on the far left right it is probably unsolvable and should be thrown out.

In fact if you run across any research you cannot solve, throw it out. If it looks to difficult, there are too many runes to move, or you have to connect the 4 corners of the page, throw it out. It is usually cheaper and easier to throw out research and get a new puzzle than try and fiddle with difficult notes.

also I am derp: right not left. right node as start is impossible
I just want to restate the bolded part, as it can't be stated enough. Also, If your first active node is right in the middle of the other nodes, throw it out. It's far easier and cheaper to go for another research page than to waste ink, time, and aspects fiddling around.

Another thing: Always start your research with Cognito. Keep doing Cognito until you have research mastery. Even though you can only move an active rune one square with Research Mastery, and even though it might deactivate when you do it, there's one big thing to remember... if the rune deactivates because you moved it, that deactivation doesn't cost you an aspect point. You just cut your point expenditure in half.

Here's one of the simplest ways I've seen to determine whether to go for a new page... When I get a new research page, I start by drawing a line with my finger on the screen from the starting node to all other nodes. If on the shortest path any two nodes would take more than 2 runes to connect, I usually toss it. I will sometimes make an exception if there are very few nodes, or if they form a fairly straight and easy line, or if all other node connections would only take one rune.

Reactions: RedBoss