Thaumcraft 4; afraid to use crucible

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HojoCat

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid to use my crucible. Every time I try I get purple sludge oozing out or purple gas going into the air.
Apparently I can't use alembics to collect excess aspects like in tc 3.
Will I find ways to make crucible use easier and safer through further research?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid to use my crucible. Every time I try I get purple sludge oozing out or purple gas going into the air.
Apparently I can't use alembics to collect excess aspects like in tc 3.
Will I find ways to make crucible use easier and safer through further research?
Once you've scanned enough items you can find ones with single aspects and use a few calculations to make precise crafting happen. But honestly, for now the taint from excess aspects isn't really dangerous...yet. I just placed and break blocks on them to get rid of it. Hopefully there will be more to it as time goes by.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Azule

Jul 29, 2019
People say to just place a block over the taint and it goes away. I have never been able to do this, what blocks have you been using?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Place a Terrain Smasher next to the block above the crucible, pointing at it.
Instant Flux-Be-Gone.

Reactions: 1SDAN

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
A little flux won't kill you. Just wash it away with a bucket of water or vent the gas to the sky.

That said, what WILL kill you is dumping a dozen or so stacks of cobble in a crucible. Not only will you get a whole swimming pool full of flux goo, you'll get plenty of bouncy, purple, homicidal friends to share it with. (this is actually a great way to farm vitium for certain crafting recipes)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Good grief. Why bother.
It is not necessary to clear flux up.
Nothing bad ever happens.

My crucible room is indoors. I don't use mana beans for crafting so my ceiling is covered in gas blocks, and the floor frequently is. I let them decay naturally and don't even bother to clear them up between crafts.

Actually making enough flux to produce thaumic slimes requires excess essentia values orders of magnitude in excess of what is generated during even the most wasteful crafting session.

Gloop the place up a bit. It adds character.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Place a Terrain Smasher next to the block above the crucible, pointing at it.
Instant Flux-Be-Gone.
Doesn't work. I still get goo on the floor and gas on the ceiling. I suspect it's timing, the smasher only activates once per second and the taint can move faster than that.[DOUBLEPOST=1392213845][/DOUBLEPOST]
...dissolve the essentia you want ... into warded jars. Then, just use a phial on the jar, and you'll get x8 of that pure essentia.
Do you drop the phial in the cauldron? Or can you right-click it to dump the contents in?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I used to worry about the purple goo, but I don't worry about any longer. Here's what I do now:

1. Figure out the maximum number of items I can crucible in one batch. For Thaumium, for instance, I think it's somewhere between 4 and 6 Thaumium ingots in one batch when using mossy cobblestone as the source of Praecantatio. It's messy, but cheap.

2. Dump in all ingredients for the Essentia (ex. 24 mossy cobblestone to target 6 Thaumium ingots in 1 batch)

3. Dump in the matching number of catalysts to match (ex. 6 iron ingots to make 6 Thaumium Ingots)

4. Use wand to purge

5. Ignore goo and repeat for next batch

Only at the end will I bother cleaning up the goo. I have my Crucible indoors and only once have I had a taint blob spawn during a session where I made a stack of 64 Thaumium ingots before cleaning up, but it was all good 'cause I needed the Vitium anyways.

*Note : It's often more efficient to make 2 or even 3 batches before purging. In the above example using mossy cobblestone to make Thaumium ingots, it's actually more efficient to make 2 batches of 4 Thaumium ingots, and then purge. 4 Thaumium ingots requires 16 mossy and 4 iron, which are natural splits of a stack of 64. Quick and easy.

Reactions: YX33A and RedBoss