Texture support in FTB_Launcher

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
According to the launch video for the FTB_Launcher, official FTB texture support is coming. I know the FTB team has their hands full with Thaumcraft 3, and also updating FTB itself to 1.4.5 so I don't expect anything overnite, but I was curious as to the texture support that will eventually get added. With there be "official" texture packs that FTB will release or include, and any time frame on when that might happen?

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Chances are it will only start to be implemented once the full pack is released, but I am just speculating.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Partial texture support for mods is already done by texture artists. You can find them in the Minecraft forums. You just have to put them in manually like you would do with regular Minecraft. Any "official" textures wouldn't be any different than those texturepacks, some redundancy might be dropped like the duplicate ores and ingots.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
Check the texture packs section of this forum?

Many of them are incomplete (understandable since it's a fairly large undertaking) and also require manual manipulation of some sort, or additional addon such as OptiFine. Hopefully the "official support" offered by the launcher will be as simple as running FTB itself. Click the tab, pick a texture pack, and hit launch and the Launcher will handle the rest. Which is kinda why one uses a launcher to begin with.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You can pick texture packs within Minecraft itself, it even has a button to open the folder to put them into. Can't really be that hard, do you need babysitting for clicking a button?

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
You can pick texture packs within Minecraft itself, it even has a button to open the folder to put them into. Can't really be that hard, do you need babysitting for clicking a button?

If using a pack that requires additional mods or tools, or wanting to use HD textures, then yes. Again, that's why one uses a launcher, to not have to worry or even know the nitty gritty details.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I use Isabella II - FTB edition, found in the Texture Pack section. It is 16X so no need for Optifine

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
If using a pack that requires additional mods or tools, or wanting to use HD textures, then yes. Again, that's why one uses a launcher, to not have to worry or even know the nitty gritty details.
Forge actually has support for HD textures, no optifine needed (if that was what you were thinking of)

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
Forge actually has support for HD textures, no optifine needed (if that was what you were thinking of)

So does this mean I could use something like Faithful 32x32 without having to use OptiFine? Or perhaps DokuCraft? Or BDCraft (which I believe normally requires MCpatcher)?

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
32x packs kind of work even in vanilla, some visual bugs can be possible but mostly it works fine. Larger than that will require HD patcher.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
32x packs kind of work even in vanilla, some visual bugs can be possible but mostly it works fine. Larger than that will require HD patcher.

So the above statement by portablejim is not accurate:

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
So the above statement by portablejim is not accurate [that forge supports hd textures]
It is accurate. I heard it being talked about during a stream when they talked about mystcraft (the link modifier is actually a HD texture, not 16x16). Looking for evidence now (since the stream is not an easily referenceable source of information) I have found this thread which basically says it and this post (from lexmanos) that hints at it.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft can handle HD textures on blocks but items and entities can flip out without proper HD fix. I don't know if Forge has that, maybe it does, maybe it is too basic to handle everything.

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
Just tested using Soratex Fanver (a x64 texture pack)

Vanilla minecraft (no forge, no optifine)
minecraft-soratex-noforge-nooptifine.png

Minecraft with forge (no optifine)
minecraft-soratex-forge-nooptifine.png

Minecraft with forge and optifine
minecraft-soratex-forge-optifine.png

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
What about HD water and lava without OptiFine? Do you get the ugly terrain.png versions or animated?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason I like optifine are the font change and connected textures, otherwise it's horrible, it causes more problems for me with flashing barrel textures and liquid pipe glitchiness.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
I run much better without optifine, and without the glitches it brings the game is much easier to play! :D