Teleporting Lag [HELP]

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
So on the FTB server I play on whenever I go through a Portal2 portal or use a linking book I get a weird lag. It's not FPS lag, that's fine, but it takes a really long time to open chests or doors or do anything but after a little while it stops. With portals the lag lasts longer than using linking books. Anyone know what this is or how I can fix it? With portals the lag lasts longer than using linking books. I use the Unleashed 1.0.3 pack.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
That's the server loading the world around you (If the client had issues with loading chunks, you wouldn't even see the blocks around you until it loaded). I'm not sure if it would work, but putting a chunk loader at both portals should help with the lag, since the server will always have the chunks loaded. (Meaning that it won't have to load the chunks, meaning that it'll let you interact with your environment faster since it has less work to do)

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I put one at my place and teleported away and back and when I got to my base it still lagged at first.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
to be honest, the best fix for this is patience. Just wait it out

But as to your chunk-loading thing, you need to make it chunk load an area big enough so that when you go there, no additional chunks are loaded, if I remember right, that's a radius of 5 chunks I believe? I'm not entirely sure, but it's much bigger than what you'd reasonably set a chunk loader to normally

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if chunk loading's the issue here.. I used to use myst portals to get from floor to floor in my base, and I'd get that type of lag even though I'm teleporting within the same chunk.

Reactions: dgdas9

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
to be honest, the best fix for this is patience. Just wait it out

But as to your chunk-loading thing, you need to make it chunk load an area big enough so that when you go there, no additional chunks are loaded, if I remember right, that's a radius of 5 chunks I believe? I'm not entirely sure, but it's much bigger than what you'd reasonably set a chunk loader to normally

Ok, thanks, I'll try making the radius larger[DOUBLEPOST=1375293290][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not sure if chunk loading's the issue here.. I used to use myst portals to get from floor to floor in my base, and I'd get that type of lag even though I'm teleporting within the same chunk.

Weird, it never lagged like this for me until we updated to the Unleashed pack, in all my single player worlds and before we updated the server it was fine.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
It's the way how Minecraft handles teleporting. The client will unload everything and load the chunks in the new location.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, just set the chunk loader to 81 chunks and the lag has gone
It's the way how Minecraft handles teleporting. The client will unload everything and load the chunks in the new location.

As I said,in the other packs I've used there was no lag, I'm wondering if it's not minecraft but the modpack

Set the chunkloader to 81 chunks, the lag has gone down a lot :) , it only lasts for a few seconds, I'm just worried that having the chunk loader so big will lag the server everywhere else