Teleportation methods in FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've really become attached to the idea of redpower frame tunnel bores, however the problem that I can't think of a way around is how to get to it for trouble shooting because I designed it wrong or something like that.

I tried using portal spawners on it, but they keep on breaking and not allowing me to teleport to it.

I can run down the tunnel to get to them, but that is now starting to involve a 4000+ trek, and not really wanting to do that.. so are there alternative methods to teleport to them?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Use a deployer to drop track behind it and ride a mine cart to it.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Use a deployer to drop track behind it and ride a mine cart to it.

hmm.. Interesting idea

I did have a deployer running torches every five blocks, but that ran out very quickly
so.. any ideas on how to make it more reliable?

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if every ___ blocks you could make deployers put obsidian and a lighter so you can nether around. Not sure though, I don't use nethertravel.

Jul 29, 2019
I remember seeing part of a direwolf let's play (I don't remember which one, as I don't usually watch them, sorry) where he had such a system set up using portal spawners, and it worked for him.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Almost all of direwolf's frame ships use the portal spawners, so i think they work fine on frames.

Are you protecting them from water/lava? I think they can be washed away.
Is your ship sufficiently chunk loaded? Using railcraft world anchor, you don't want the leading edge or tail end of your ship more than 16 blocks away from the anchor -- as worst case you can only count on the world anchor chunk being loaded and if it is on the edge of a chunk, then there would only be 16 blocks usable around it.

I don't use portal mod, but from what i have seen direwolf has the spawners off until he is ready to teleport... maybe they don't move well when activated. Think his method is to send a signal to activate the portal, and if the portal signal is on it stops the tunnel bore from moving.

Edit:
Also Modular Powersuits is like teleporting. 4000 block walk would take no time in a proper suit.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if every ___ blocks you could make deployers put obsidian and a lighter so you can nether around. Not sure though, I don't use nethertravel.

Or maybe use an autocrafting table to craft a linking book every 1km and ship it to you via enderchest?

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Or maybe use an autocrafting table to craft a linking book every 1km and ship it to you via enderchest?

This is pretty cool and could require more steps (I always see that as a plus, honestly).

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019

That might be a cool idea, could do it with a fabricator set to craft on a redstone pulse and use wireless redstone to make a book and then ender chest it to your base.

edit: Linking books don't work that way, see later in the thread for details.

Jul 29, 2019
That might be a cool idea, could do it with a fabricator set to craft on a redstone pulse and use wireless redstone to make a book and then ender chest it to your base.

But then you end up with a ton of books that just teleport you in the middle of an abandoned mining tunnel.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
But then you end up with a ton of books that just teleport you in the middle of an abandoned mining tunnel.

I mean use the wireless redstone to request a book when you want to travel to your tunnel bore, and books are cheap, a bit of a cow and some reeds :) you can alsways destroy them after use or use them to fill bibliocraft bookcases and desks!

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Setup your Portal Spawner to work with Redstone signals, and use Wireless Transmitter/Receiver to active it.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019

I havent tested it recently, but linking books only resieved they link to coordiantes when they where crafted by a player and entered their inventory, so you might ind up with a ton of books that either doesnt work, or link to the location where you first thouched the book. i

Jul 29, 2019
Will IC2 Teleporters work? It's much more expensive but... cool.

I think it would be more trouble than it's worth since you'd need to have a way to generate the large amount of power they use, on board, or ender-in lapatron crystals (or if you're super rich, use the IDSU from gregtech). It would work better if it wasn't underground and you could afford advanced solars.

Assuming the OP can get portals to work, they're far cheaper. I'll give you the coolness factor though.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
lol I was thinking from a more all-expenses-paid, design perspective If he's playing legit or on a server, I can see why not use teleporters. xD

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think IC2 teleporters play well with frames. As opposed to storing the fact that two teleporters are linked, I think teleporters store where they were originally linked to each other. Or something. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think IC2 teleporters play well with frames. As opposed to storing the fact that two teleporters are linked, I think teleporters store where they were originally linked to each other. Or something. Correct me if I'm wrong!
I think I read something about coordinates or something so.. yeah.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
I think it would be more trouble than it's worth since you'd need to have a way to generate the large amount of power they use, on board, or ender-in lapatron crystals (or if you're super rich, use the IDSU from gregtech). It would work better if it wasn't underground and you could afford advanced solars.

Assuming the OP can get portals to work, they're far cheaper. I'll give you the coolness factor though.
Energy tesseract plus power converter. Done.