Switching off multiple (GT) machines at once

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
I would like to be able to shut down my reactor support infrastructure on one switch if I need to (354 centrifuges/electrolisers). All are set up to be using 512HV, so switching the line in would be easiest if that is possible.

Thanks in advance

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
A transformer will reverse allowed current direction with a redstone signal. You can use a HV transfomer in this case, with the HV end attached to your source with the MV leads to your machines.

EU-splitter cable, but those add resistance (EU loss).

You can set your power sources to off on redstone signal, but I don't know what else you have connected to your power source.

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to be able to shut down my reactor support infrastructure on one switch if I need to (354 centrifuges/electrolisers). All are set up to be using 512HV, so switching the line in would be easiest if that is possible.

Thanks in advance

If you are inputting the required amount of EU/t to prevent "in-efficient energy" you will be okay with working namiasdf's solution. But if you arn't, you will create an energy deficit you can't rebound from when you shut down all the machines by starving them of power. The best solution would be connecting them all up to redstone cable but having 354 (wow) machines i can see how that really isnt an option.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Do the calculation and have the appropriate number. 5 sides of a HV transformer connected in parallel to a single line can support 2.5k EU/t in 5, 512 EU packets.

20 electrolyzers or ~ 500 centrifuges running at 5 EU/t

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
I'm running 64 electrolizers and 288 centrifuges on this line, each with one overclocker, so the power draw is in the region of 38.5k EU/t

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
To be more precise, each HV transformer is capable of 2560 EU/t.

You can power 20 electrolyzers per, so have four HV transformers with all five sides connected to a single point, then you can connect each of the four combined points together into a single line to power all your electrolyzers. Transformers aren't expensive so I'm not going to optimize your solution for materials, it'll be better for modulation anyways. This way you can turn off your centrifuges or electrolyzers separately.

288 centrifuges at 5 EU/t (I assume, I don't know, adjust the calculations accordingly if not) is 1440 EU/t. That means ONE HV transformer is capable of filling those needs. Though, remember that you have to down step your power.

Each MV transformer is capable of outputting 128x5 EU/t, or 640 EU/t. Each LV transformer is capable of outputting 32x5 EU/t, or 160 EU/t. This means for every 640/5 = 128 centrifuges you'll need an extra module consisting of one MV transformer with all five sides connected to one point, then that power outputted to 4 LV transformers, with the same set up.

In summary, you will need 5 HV transformers as a control for the power. Your electrolyzer set up will require 64/5 MV transformers or about 13 of them. Make sure you have one face for each electrolyzer connected to the line. (i.e. You will need to have all 5 faces of each MV except for the last one, connected to the line supplying the energy to the electrolyzers.)

The subsequent modules will consist of 128 centrifuges, 1 MV transformer (all five sides) and 4 LV transformers. You will need at least three of these modules. The last one will have 288 - 128x2 = 32 centrifuges only. If you want to optimize the set up so you waste less, I'll leave that to you. I'm tired.

Reactions: wildc4rd

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, overclockers.

You can adjust all those calculations yourself.

38.5k EU/t / 2.5k EU/t gives around 15.4 (unitless) HV transformers. That's your first step. Holy shit that's three times the energy.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Indeed, and all the machines are set up to use 512 power, so I can just switch the 32 HV transformers that come out of the plasma generators. Didn't know that was an option. Thanks!

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I should probably do that to the majority of my machines but oh well.

Are they expensive? What are the materials? I'll have to adjust all my shit....

Aye.

GT made things easier. Interesting. I kinda enjoy having to deal with electricity, appropriately./../.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Thinking about it, if I separated out the plasma generators for that lot of power, I could just shut off the supply of helium plasma, one switch. A much easier way!

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like a waste though. I have my electrical system designed in a way so that I don't have to do any middle-management. It automatically adjusts itself and is self-replenishing. FTB offers all the tools you need to do such a thing.

Also choking your energy production, just to turn off some machines.

I dunno. Seems counter productive.

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
I guess I don't need to, the system is entirely self sufficient. Need isn't always the same as want though, lol.