Stuttering at 60-90 FPS?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
This has been bugging me for a while, and it's only happens on modded Minecraft.

I'm looking at F3, and it's telling me that I have 60-90 FPS. When I try to move my mouse around, it lags, and when I walk, I stutter. It's not server lag, I know that, but it shouldn't be happening if I'm at an FPS in the 60s.

What's the cause of this? I'm not running anything in the background. Does the framerate just display incorrectly? Because that's the only conclusion that I can draw from this.

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
Happened to me a few times and I left F3 open and every few stutters, the FPS would drop to 2 for a split-second. I'm guessing the drop is so quick and goes away so quick that the FPS meter doesn't have enough time to display it, or it displays so fast the eye doesn't notice it.

Modded Minecraft usually has alot higher load on your computer. When playing modded Minecraft, my GPU would overheat and cause the stutters for me, however for every other game, it would not do this, not Fallout, not Borderlands, just Modded Minecraft. It's saddening.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
It might be the chunks loading - try turning down the view distance to short or tiny. Also, turn on OpenGL if you havent, it can help too with this kind of thing.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Apart from what apemanzilla said, it could also be a overly huge amount of nigh invisible light-updates. As an example I myself experienced: the electrolytic separators from Mekanism do tend to flicker when they run out of power. Put 20 of 'em in a row and have 2 or 3 be powerless, you will not even see the difference, but once you remove the remaining 17 (those that still run) you see the constant highspeed flickering. This also can happen with other blocks, ofc.

tl;dr - It could be lighting updates.