Steve's Carts Tree Farm Arrangement

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm relatively new to using the 'rail' part of Railcraft, and by extension the awesomeness that is Steve's Carts.
I have a nice little tree farm set up with a standard solar and coal engine arrangement, dumping and fuelling from a cargo manager.

I spotted that for fuel it likes to pull out saplings, for which I have other uses lined up. I am interested to see what ways people have come up with to encourage the cart to use other fuels. I like builds I can walk away and leave to run, so I want to get it using the log yield to keep it going at night. There are a few ideas floating around in my head, but I wondered what other people had come up with.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
put some wood in each of the fuel slots then it shouldn't replace then it should keep all of the slots filled with wood (so long as you are only extracting storage at the cargo manager and not all slots)

QuantumPugilist

Jul 29, 2019
I've never had my cart pull saplings or wood to fuel it, even when I forget to prime it with charcoal. Perhaps change your dump/refuel order, so it drains storage before refueling; though that would add increased complexity since it would refuel from the manager rather than internally.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
I'm relatively new to using the 'rail' part of Railcraft, and by extension the awesomeness that is Steve's Carts.
I have a nice little tree farm set up with a standard solar and coal engine arrangement, dumping and fuelling from a cargo manager.

I spotted that for fuel it likes to pull out saplings, for which I have other uses lined up. I am interested to see what ways people have come up with to encourage the cart to use other fuels. I like builds I can walk away and leave to run, so I want to get it using the log yield to keep it going at night. There are a few ideas floating around in my head, but I wondered what other people had come up with.

If you imagine the 4 sections on the manager being sections 1-4 from top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right. Have sections 1, 2 and 4s arrows pointing towards the manager in the middle and select the icon which shows a chest for one. On section 3 have the arrow the other way round so it's pointing out of the manager and set the icon to the engine. Fill up the 3 engine slots on the cart with the same type of logs as what the farm is and then it will run on its logs. Set the solar engines to H for high priority, set the coal engine to M for medium so when it's night or is under the foliage it runs on the wood.

Edit: you're in luck! I did you a quick pic : http://i.imgur.com/0CVFiuC.png :)

Cart : http://i.imgur.com/I7BJid7.png