steve tree farm versus a Multi block tree farm.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've read thus far, Steve's Cart is the way to go for the most saplings/time ratio.

I'll second this. Multifarms were glitched for a while and swarmed you with saplings. Presuming this has been addressed with the latest updates, Steve's Carts is the way to go.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Steve's Carts, easily. They take less to setup, and they can be easily extended should your system require more output. All you have to do is add tracks and anything else context-appropriate (like water for farms, etc), and the work will be done by the cart automatically. Basically, you could, in theory, have a SC tree farm that covers 1 square kilometer with trees and provides you with an extradimensional barrel full of saplings every iteration, lol.

...Is it odd that I'm now tempted to do that very thing?

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry, once ultimate comes out I may very well have an SC tree farm buried underground that's 7x7 chunks. You know, because if something is worth doing it's worth over doing.

Would be cool if he added the ability to farm mod trees like rubber trees from IC2 though.

Reactions: DoctorOr

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Would be cool if he added the ability to farm mod trees like rubber trees from IC2 though.

Agreed, but on the other hand, that would eliminate the last reason for me to build a forestry farm, anything else I already do with golems. Thinking of it, a lumberjack golem and a rubber golem would be nice too.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
steps for the best farm ever:

1. go minning
2. mine iron and 5 diamonds
3. steal rails from a mineshaft
4. create a cart assembler
5. make a tier 2 cart, with solar engine, coal engine, tree chopper, sideways chests and (optional) fertilizer.
6. place the rails going in a infinite loop.
7. place the manager and the advanced rail in a corner
8. get infinite wood/charcoal and saplings
9. make some overcomplicated system with pipes, furnaces, and barrels
10. never visit the farm again, except to turn off the cart because your extra-dimensional barrels filled up and is spilling items all over the place and causing lag.
11. ???
12. profit!

Reactions: Lambert2191

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Its actually on the todo list for SC2[DOUBLEPOST=1362062275][/DOUBLEPOST]
5. make a tier 2 cart, with solar engine, coal engine, tree chopper, sideways chests and (optional) fertilizer.

I prefer internal + top chests for maximum space, then either compact solars (which take the side) or because solars have lesser use for a tree farm keep that side chest for even more space.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Its actually on the todo list for SC2[DOUBLEPOST=1362062275][/DOUBLEPOST]

I prefer internal + top chests for maximum space, then either compact solars (which take the side) or because solars have lesser use for a tree farm keep that side chest for even more space.
That's a scary thought.

Firs for sapplings, apple oaks for apples...

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Well I was going to ask which is better to do SC or Forestry for rubber tree farm but it seems I need to go forestry. Okies I just need the materials to get it happening.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
I take you all have tried the new multi-block arboretums and are not just guessing? The trees in an arboretum grow a damn site quicker than normally, so unless you are bone mealing on a Steve Cart's farm then it's going to be way slower.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Well I was going to ask which is better to do SC or Forestry for rubber tree farm but it seems I need to go forestry. Okies I just need the materials to get it happening.

I'd say give a turtle rubber farm a go, in that it plants rubber trees, bonemeals them, harvests the logs, and then dumps that into a chest. Mind you, it takes some LUA programming to get it to work, but I doubt you'd find a better system.

Unless you count making a T5 slime shard, and then just smelting slimeballs to make sticky resin. Because that is where I get all of my rubber from, and it is a GREAT way to get rubber at the start of the game if you are lucky enough to intersect with a slime chunk, and unlucky enough to be near a swamp.

I take you all have tried the new multi-block arboretums and are not just guessing? The trees in an arboretum grow a damn site quicker than normally, so unless you are bone mealing on a Steve Cart's farm then it's going to be way slower.

I'll have to give them a shot if I ever need wood, which I doubt I ever will as I get hundreds of stacks of wood from my quarry in my wooden tendrills age (which I really really wish I did not add, now that I have thousands of stacks of wood!). I will keep your suggestion in mind when it comes up again.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
You can extract slime balls into rubber or smelt it into sticky resin and centrifuge it into rubber. (second is way more efficient, but GTech only)

Reactions: Guswut

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
You can extract slime balls into rubber or smelt it into sticky resin and centrifuge it into rubber. (second is way more efficient, but GTech only)

Yeah, you can extract it into two rubber, or smelt it into sticky resin for three rubber when you extract that, or ind. centrifuge the sticky resin for 3.5 rubber each (4 sticky resin become 14 rubber) as well as a compressed plant ball and plant ball.

I usually smelt, and then extract, as the ind. centrifuge takes over a minute each.

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
I am actually trying to give a Sequoia Tree the Tripple Sapling Trait. I already have Fast growing. And when i am able to make the Saplings perfect, i should become way more tha 1 Stack Saplings and 5 stacks Logs PER TREE.
So Multi block farms are way cooler that these boring Steves Carts ;)

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
SC simply because no need for anything extra that the forestry farms need. Humus would need another farm to produce and apatite cannot be made which means you have to go out and find the stuff when your out. If you need more saplings simply make the SC track longer.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing around with the maximum size 100block multifarms, for now it's been mostly setting them up and just collecting their output in upgraded barrels. I did a test with some of the trees that are only obtainable through breeding, such as walnut, balsa, cherry, lime etc. The balsa and cherry grow and are collected just fine, which I was happy with, since this gave me an easy way of getting a large amount of different looking wood. The Balsa is particularly nice because it is a single trunk with sparse greenery, yet somehow manages to produce a solid amount of saplings fairly quickly...This may have to do with the fact that it can grow more balsa trees in a smaller area due to the aforementioned compact foliage. The multifarm won't grow a sapling if there is green foliage hanging in the air above the sapling after cutting down a tree, which was noticeable with trees that had heavy foliage. For this reason, having the balsa there has actually had the unintentional side effect of giving me more wood and saplings than I originally expected. It's also made our server's resident tree breeder excited due to the ease at which we can get all these saplings.
With trees that bear fruit, such as walnut / cherry trees, the multifarm doesnt seem intelligent enough to wait for the trees to mature, so you would only collect wood and saplings from those. The multifarm also doesn't seem to recognize the walnuts / cherries if you DO let them mature by either setting the system on a timer, or manually shutting it off. Our bee-keeper frowned at this realization, since this would have created a huge amount of seed oil for him to rub on his naked body or whatever bee enthusiasts do with the stuff. We did find a solution though, and that is to set up some wood golems in the area (preferably w/ quickness or strength), since when fully matured and chopped down, all the stuff falling from the leaves will make the golems go nuts (no pun intended).

Also, it's important to note that certain trees require more than 1 sapling in order to grow. Such as (again) the walnut tree, as it requires 4 saplings, I have yet to try the larger ones that require 9 saplings.. Multifarms throw down whatever sapling input is there with no consideration as to the breed, so if you put nothing but walnut saplings, you will of course have that 4 sapling requirement once the farm is done setting things up, and they will go on to grow and get chopped down as long as nothing changes. Good news for people trying to get more of a tree! (hence our resident tree-hugger's enthusiasm)

Geez I typed a lot...err sorry? Heh anyway I'll check in, I have more to add but its about time to eat something...

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Growle if you want fruit off bred trees you need an orchard, I have cherry trees mixed with apple trees in my orchard and I get cherries & apples just fine.

Reactions: Growle