Steam limitations in liquiducts?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
I have 3 HP36s running so by my calculations that means I need 3x18 = 54 industrial steam engines hooked up to them. So I have liquiducts on top of each boiler covering all the 9 block spaces and liquiducts linking them altogether which then goes down a single line of liquiducts where they split into a line of 2x27 and power my steam engines.

Everything goes well until I get to the last 2 engines - as soon as I power them the steam suddenly drains to half from 8k down to around 4k and the power output drops as well.

I have of course checked and double checked that I have the correct number of engines, all the pipes are connected and the outputs set up correct on top of the boilers and the chunk area is loaded, but as soon as I power engine # 53 I'm losing power.

So I tried making an additional liquiduct line from the 1st boiler and connected it to the opposite end of the steam engine array and suddenly the steam jumps back up to 8k and my power quickly comes back up to 8 MJ/t. This leads me to think that there is some steam "limit" down a single liquiduct pipe line but there's nothing on either TE or RC wikis about this. Anyone have further info?

I'll see if I can knock up a quick illustration of my setup in my test world and upload it.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, Liquiducts can't carry infinite liquid at a time.
Due to varying transfer rates between liquids, it varies from liquid to liquid. For example, steam is gaseous, so you can carry a lot of it in a single liquiduct. Lava, however, is very thick and viscous, so you can transfer a smaller amount at a time.
Apparently, you found the maximum amount of steam which can be piped through a single liquiduct; 2080 units per tick. Or, in other words, 52 industrial steam engines.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
http://imgur.com/STrc9Gl

This is my set up if you ignore the red bricks. 3 boilers connected as you see then a pipe off to the right which joins a line of 27x2 steam engines. The very last 2 engines on the left hand end only get half power and drag all the other engines down to half power as well. With only 52 of the 54 running they all sit at either 7960 or 8000 and all output 8 MJ/t.

Now if I hook up a 2nd line of liquiducts where the red bricks would be, all the steam engines then run at full power/steam. o_O The alleged findings by Malloway in the linked thread above appear not to be the case anymore. :confused:

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
I should perhaps clarify the above. I receive a full quota of 8000 steam in my engines with 52 connected but when connecting the last 2 they ALL drop down to around 3820 steam, however they ALL still continue to generate 8 MJ/t. :confused: And a correction to the above - connecting a 2nd liquiduct line where the red bricks are actually makes NO difference whatsoever, they still stay at 3820 steam. What is going on? :eek: