Starting differently..

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

tatopolos

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

i would like to restart a new world with D20 1.7.10. However each time i do that, i find myself doing the same start .. mining, TE, then lava, then quarry.. then steam boiler... AE... Same things i've been doing on any mod pack for the last two years.. i use other mods, but just on the side.. not on the early game..

can you guys suggest other ways to play the mod pack.. to have a different start and another path to the end game.. ?
and what other mods you think would suit the early game?
Thanks

tatopolos

Jul 29, 2019
minig willl always be there but instead of doing tech first do magic

what magic you have in mind?
i have played with TC in the past.. i don't think i will be back to it.. it becomes too grindy at some point..

I agree, mining will always be there, but some mods encourage exploration more than others..

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
I mean its had to say becuase im that way except i try to go from mod to mod and use them all for example: start with mining then do a small ore doubling system (with a diffrent power gen ever time) then go do something like botania. then maybe move on to a quarry and a better power gen. But dont just go for big reactors all the time Its actually really fun to try new ways build a bunch and have a awesome power plant. thats kinda my idea if you know what i mean

tatopolos

Jul 29, 2019
you just gave me an idea, Big Reactors.. Outside once in AgSkies, i have never built one.

Last edited:

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
can you guys suggest other ways to play the mod pack.. to have a different start and another path to the end game.. ?

I have added RotaryCraft, Dungeonpack and Roguelike. Instead of following common path I focused on Botania and Rotarycraft. Instead repeating old energy evolution Rotarycraft gives much more flexibility and after some thinking zero maintenance energy source. When I get tired with building Extra dungeons are nice way to spend time and get some loot.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 has ender IO, if you want tech start with that. Also, Blood magic has rituals for mining and grinding, could start with that. But for different packs, try The Dark Trilogy, it has custom recipies that changes the tech path you have to follow, you pretty much HAVE to start with tinkers and tinkers steel works.

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
You should totally try the magic mods in the DW20, they can be fun !
I usually watch the SP Let's Play from DW20, and I always thought I would never go magic, because meh..

But the other day, I just could not do anything but wait for my quarry to give me iron, and in the meantime, I started Thaumcraft.
It was really cool ! I then spent the next days doing almost only TC stuff: researches, scanning, infusion crafting.. was very fun !

And if you're not so much into magic, EnderIO is definitively worth trying (and you will need a SAG Mill anyway to get silicon for AE, so go on and try the rest !)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I think that DW20 has the following beginning game options:

Phase-1 - You start with TiC - its very hard to avoid the rapid bootstrap this mod offers. Skipping TiC can make phase 2 that much more grindy:

In phase 2 you can pick one of the following as your major tech tree to get post TiC ore doubling and provide a tech direction:
- Thermal Expansion (expanding to Big Reactors and MFR or auto farming)
- Ender IO (using Ender IO for auto farming)
- IC/2 (eventually using IC2 nukes and IC2 auto farming. Will need to use pipes from BC/TE/EIO/ExU for logistics until AE).
- Pneumaticraft - not sure what the capabilities of this are.
- Thaumcraft - golem based farming, mining bore - slightly later game ore doubling via arcane methods.
- The MJ without the MJ: Buildcraft + railcraft + forestry leading to bee automation

Phase 3 - add Applied Energistics.

I don't know how Blood Magic and Botania fare if used early on as they dont (afaik) offer automated mining or ore doubling so can lead to a somewhat grindy experience if one of the other options is not invested in first.

Steves carts and computer craft are also in there and seem to be interesting places to start.

At any rate, there seem to be a lot of options for different early game approaches in the pack.

Last edited:

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
Also yeah if you are going tech, you are probably want to use some kind of pipes, and the EnderIO ones are really good ! They made me almost forget about the TE ones :)

And for them you only really need an Alloy Smelter from EnderIO, and then you can focus on other tech mods