Starting AE2 autocrafting?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Defiancey

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have some insite on any tips or tricks with AE2 and autocrafting. I was fairly comfortable with AE1 and autocraft. But now with channels, molecular assemblers, me interfaces and co-processing units. Im not sure what the ideal way to set things up. Now i have watched a few youtube videos so i have a basic understanding. What i have seen is sometimes people will take a molecular assembler and surround it with me interfaces. Other times its the other way around. I understand 1 way you get faster crafting, other ways you have more patterns. But using multiple me interfaces requires multiple channels correct? Also does 1 side of the molecular assemebler need to have a direct cable to recieve power or will if get power just being next to a block that has power? Any other tips someone wants to throw out there will be welcome too.

adamich

Jul 29, 2019
1 assembler + 6 interfaces = 6*9 reciepts. But if U request two or more diffirent items - it will be long wait.
2-6 assemblers per interface - greate crafting speed-up.
if U use one full block interface on assembler, then assembler will get power.
best way to build i found is 3x3 circles 2 high. It use 8 full block interfaces and 8 assemblers. So any one interface interact with 3 assemblers. and it use all 8 channels.
one interface - one channel.
one interface - nine reciepts.
count of assembler is speed.
it's a math. count it.

Reactions: Dentvar

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Anyone have some insite on any tips or tricks with AE2 and autocrafting. I was fairly comfortable with AE1 and autocraft. But now with channels, molecular assemblers, me interfaces and co-processing units. Im not sure what the ideal way to set things up. Now i have watched a few youtube videos so i have a basic understanding. What i have seen is sometimes people will take a molecular assembler and surround it with me interfaces. Other times its the other way around. I understand 1 way you get faster crafting, other ways you have more patterns. But using multiple me interfaces requires multiple channels correct? Also does 1 side of the molecular assemebler need to have a direct cable to recieve power or will if get power just being next to a block that has power? Any other tips someone wants to throw out there will be welcome too.
Here's how I do it:

(1) Start by placing a cable pillar (can be glass cable) four blocks high, with a piece of dense cable under it.
(2) Surround this by 16 molecular assemblers, 4 on each side. You now have 4-block-high structure with a "+" cross-section and all assemblers have power (yes, they need their own power connection even though they don't use up channels).
(3) Place interfaces on two sides of each assembler, such as to complete a 3x4x3 structure. Each of the four corner pillars now has 8 interfaces, which you can connect with a smart cable.
(4) Let the smart cables from each of the corner pillars connect with the dense cable at the bottom of the structure. Use cable anchors to prevent the smart cables from connecting with each other under the structure.

You now have space for 9x32 recipes in a 3x4x3 structure that connects to your network with a single dense cable, whose 32 channels can be transported by one P2P connection. This system does not make optimal use of the assemblers' sides, but it makes the best use of space and channels, and it's easily scaleable - add another identical structure to connect to a different dense cable/p2p line.

As for efficient autocrafting, it is important to place recipes belonging to the same crafting chain in interfaces connected to different assemblers. This can be somewhat tricky since you can't do it from the interface terminal, but the 3x4x3 structure has the additional advantage that all interfaces are easily accessible. Autocrafting works without this optimization, but recipes which use chains of standard crafting rather than machine processing may be significantly slower.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That all looks very complicated. To "start" auto crafting with AE2 you need four things:
0. An existing ME network with storage and a crafting terminal.
1. A Crafting CPU on your network. This is a multiblock, but you can start with a single 1K Crafting Storage.
2. A Pattern terminal terminal. This does not have to be on the crafting network. This is where you will make recipes.
3. An interface. "All" crafting in AE2 is done via interfaces. In AE1 there was the Molecular Assembler multiblock that you loaded recipes into for regular crafting, and you used the interface for crafting with mod blocks. In AE2 there is only the interface. The interface is adjacent to
4. A "machine" that does the crafting. This can be an AE2 molecular assembler, or any mod block like furnaces, pulverizers or whatever.

Reactions: Kikaha