**SPOILER ALERT** - Agrarian Skies - Hints, Tips, Secrets

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly I am not going to be responsible for anything in this thread which may spoil your game, if you don't want to spoil it look away NOW!!

I must emphasise that there are other methods to do things, these may not be the only ways. If you want something added PUT IT IN SPOILER tags.

Starting out help - secret
Look under the only dirt block you have

Where are all the mobs?
You wont get any to start with unless you start building outwards or you cover up the sky. Mobs will only spawn with you close by if the sky is covered. Be warned though, if you don't light up all the dark places on your original island when you start building outwards and the night time comes you might be faced with a lot of mobs

Accelerating the making of dirt!
Beat up zombies until you get 2 iron, use that 2 iron to make shears, instead of using saplings to make dirt, shear the leaves from the trees (you still get saplings shearing leaves). Eight leaf blocks = 1 dirt just like 8 saplings=1 dirt. Alternatively you can use string (25 string=1 dirt) to make dirt too, so silkworm all your trees. Both ways are faster than using the sapling route.

Early Food/Not Starving to death
Fishing is your friend, you have a pool up top and all a rod requires is wood and string. Once you get seeds put a dirt block by your pool and start growing wheat. Wheat > bread > cooked to toast gives 2 food bars. If all else fails you can eat silkworms if you have means to cook them.

Early furnace/cooking - kinda secret cos not a lot of people know this
The quest "In the beginning" has a reward choice of axe or pan. Take the pan, you can put it on the floor and cook stuff on it just like a regular furnace.

Quest reward Sabotages!!
Watch for hearts which remove lives instead of giving you them, read the description it does say.

Spawner Eggs, oh naughty naughty be careful with any reward spawner egg they might not just contain what the description says they do. Look at the colouring of spawner eggs in NEI and match them up.

That Hammer!! what use is that!! (TIP: if you don't have it yet then don't worry)
I'm of course talking about the diamond hammer with Fortune III on it, see ore processing below.

Processing Ores something you may not know
Unless you know about Ex Nihilo in some detail there's something you may not know about the ore processing side.

You get gravel ore by sifting gravel and combining 4 of them right?
You can also sift sand and combine 4 sand ores into a block!
You can also sift dust and combine 4 dust ores into a block!

Yeah Bob we already knew that, but did you know this.... (you will if you read the book and not skim it)

Combine 4 gravel ore into a block, place that gravel block into the world and break it with your diamond hammer +3 fortune. It gives you sand ores and a chance of more than 4 (it will never give you less than 4 so no loss). Combine the sand ores into blocks, place those into the world and break with your uber hammer again and you can multiply that sand ore into more than 4 dust ore.

So you now have a way to take gravel ore and break it into sand then dust, multiplying it as you go along. You will still need to sift sand and dust at some point to get the non-ores from it.

Lastly the broken ores will smelt direct into the smeltery without combining them into blocks.

Hell's Kitchen - Toasty Bread quest
Don't do the 3 wheat > 1 bread > cook bread.

Make flour (ID 15504) - combine that flour with salt, water and a mixing bowl to make 1 dough, cook that dough to make 1 bread, so this way 1 wheat = 1 bread. Ok it takes more materials but if you have a MFR farm set up a sludge boiler gives salt.

The best cobble gen (IMO)
Igneous Extruder - put in 1 water and 1 lava and it makes cobblestone endlessly without the need for power

The best lava Gen (IMO)
See above cobble gen then take output of Igneous Extruder to a Deep Storage Unit AND a Crucible (or as many crucibles as you like) take the itemduct output from the Igneous across the DSU and crucibles setting the output segment to "round robin" and you get an endless supply of cobble AND lava

MFR Autospawner and Grinder against mobs
Using a MFR's autospawner and grinder with vanilla mobs will produce "boss" infernal mobs and net you their loot. This loot can be ender lily seeds, ender pearls (even from non endermen mobs), to enchanted Invar armor and other stuff like pictures and boats (yeah I said boats).

High Oven v2.0.3 or later - making steel tip
Shift clicking the items into the High Oven will most likely result in stuff being put into the incorrect place.. here's a diagram (and labels cos I use a texturepack) of what goes where for making steel
highoven.png

I'm outta IRON dammit (or running short)
A LOT of TE recipes have aluminium alternatives instead of using iron.

Last edited:

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
About getting 2 iron: do the hells kitchen quest, it gives them as reward for some very minor crafting

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
I DARE not to like it. I dare to love it.
Never knoew about tossing the broken ore chunks directly into a smelter. I just toss the ore gravel/dust/sand blocks in.

Reactions: RealSketch

Blue Sky

Jul 29, 2019
One note, you can shear infested leaves, and then slap them on a tree, and they'll spread. Shearing the leaves still drops string and silkworms, too.

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
For the High Oven: Smelt using charcoal blocks, they are so much quicker and in the end you waste the same amounth of charcoal but its slower.
Also, COOK IRON BLOCKS, that way you dont have to waste extra sand/redstone/gunpowder, making 9 steel at a time is so much better and you end up with 3 left which I invested into a pick, sword and an axe.

-Also focus on a mob farm as soon as possible, it is just way too good: it gives you power, animals, dirt, extra loot, ender pearls( just use conveyor belts, much more convinient) and string hich has quite a bit of uses i'd say.

Reactions: RealSketch

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
One note, you can shear infested leaves, and then slap them on a tree, and they'll spread. Shearing the leaves still drops string and silkworms, too.
That... Is a bit broken[DOUBLEPOST=1397871558][/DOUBLEPOST]You forgot to mention infernal mobs drop diamonds :p

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need a sludge boiler to make salt. There is a pot+water recipe for salt. Good job for the TE autocrafting thingamajig.

Combine this with some cows, an MFR rancher, and a couple more of those crafters and you have constant production of salt, butter, and cheese.

Anybody new to the pack and/or harvestcraft should really look at the food recipes. There are some really good meals that are easy to automate from end to end.

Oh, and perhaps most importantly tofu production will give you substitutes for meat milk and a couple other things. Soybeans grow pretty quickly and the pressers are easy recipes for machines that require no external power.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
you can cook silkworms and eat them, another very good option for the beginning if you're low on food
this does require you to choose the pan though

another way of getting mycelium is by running sludge through the sludge boiler.
it can also produce dirt, sand and gravel

if you need leather, but can't seem to spawn cows, either go to the nether and capture an imp in a safari net and spawn it through a MFR autospawner, or keep breeding cod fish from Mariculture and smelt them in a crucible furnace, as it has the chance of producing leather

if you want to increase your durability on your shears, make invar shears.

don't try to sleep right away in the beginning, as you need rain to get water in your barrels. there's other ways of putting water in your barrels, but it takes up alot more time and effort

but I can write a whole story about tips and tricks, but that'd be about the 3rd time that I'd be doing that...

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You can also wrench pistons to point downwards and push blocks down then add on ladders, holding shift on ladders stops you from going down.

Or panic like I did and drop off the bottom.