"Specialty" bee products

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Is it correct to assume that all bee products classified as specialties require certain conditions to be met in order to be produced? If so, how can I find out about them? Neither the database nor the Beealyzer seem to say anything about them, other than the fact that they exist.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Is it correct to assume that all bee products classified as specialties require certain conditions to be met in order to be produced? If so, how can I find out about them? Neither the database nor the Beealyzer seem to say anything about them, other than the fact that they exist.
Any bees I've messed with that produced specialties didn't need a specific biome, but did need their preferred temperature and humidity (not just what they tolerate). That was all Forestry bees though, ExtraBees and MagicBees can be much more picky for breeding and specialties

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that most specialty-producing bees need to be in their specific ideal climate zone in order to produce the specialty (i.e. even if a bee that prefers normal temperature has +-3 temperature tolerance, it still won't produce its specialty in a Taiga biome).

Really, though, specialties in general could use a bit more documentation--I didn't realize the specialty products actually appeared IN the apiary itself until I saw random sugar in the apiary from my Valiant bees (yes, I managed to get a pure Valiant pair from hives before I got a single Common or Common-hybrid--my luck is weird like that). :p

Reactions: Seraph089

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
At the moment who the hell knows, the rate that bee addon mods are updating/changing & little info that follows is a hindrance, you learn a branch next update some names have changed/steps added or removed/breeding items requirements changed, it would really help if there was some more documentation regarding the magic & extra changes.

That said in the past I have found around 5 species that will only breed in a required biome (apart from the normal ones we all know of like nether) or produce there specialties, so most all bees are fine in normal/normal with +2 both, if after half a stack of drone you dont get the specialty then its time to start looking for reasons.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Austere Bee and Valiant Bee need their preferred temperature/humidty to produce their specialties.
The Monastic Branch needs to be alone (no entity in their territory).
All bees from Extra Bees and Magic bees don't have any special needs.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Austere Bee and Valiant Bee need their preferred temperature/humidty to produce their specialties.
The Monastic Branch needs to be alone (no entity in their territory).
All bees from Extra Bees and Magic bees don't have any special needs.

Are these changes in 1.5.2 and up? I'm still on Mindcrack 1.4.7 and I'm getting regular specialty products, as far as I can tell, regardless of biome.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Are these changes in 1.5.2 and up? I'm still on Mindcrack 1.4.7 and I'm getting regular specialty products, as far as I can tell, regardless of biome.
The same (minus the monastic branch, which didn't exist back then) was true in 1.4.7. Austere Bee and Valiant Bee were the only bees with special needs back then.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding the Monsatic branch...putting them into an Alveary doubles their territory. So does this mean I need to enclose the Alveary in a 18x12x18 room [I got hella butterflies around]?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Only 2 bees need to be in certain zones to produce their speciality if I'm not mistaken. Those are the 2 "vanilla" Forestry bees with specialities. Austere is one of them, don't remember the other. Extrabees and other mods might add bees that have products listed as specialities, but they have no zone restrictions.

Edit: The 2 Forestry speciality bees are Austere and Fungal(I believe).

Last edited:

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Only 2 bees need to be in certain zones to produce their speciality if I'm not mistaken. Those are the 2 "vanilla" Forestry bees with specialities. Austere is one of them, don't remember the other. Extrabees and other mods might add bees that have products listed as specialities, but they have no zone restrictions.

Edit: The 2 Forestry speciality bees are Austere and Fungal(I believe).
The Fungal Bee was added by Extra Bees. The Bee you are looking for is the Valiant Bee. You could have looked two posts above you to find the answer ;)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The Fungal Bee was added by Extra Bees. The Bee you are looking for is the Valiant Bee. You could have looked two posts above you to find the answer ;)
Wow, I think I have to plead temporary sleepy eyed at the time of the act. :p