Soul Shard question

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding Soul Shards. I've made a couple and they seem to be tallying up the kills. I know a Soul Stealer enchant will help, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Today I wound up taking a trip to the Nether and I had a blank shard on me. So I killed a Blaze and it became a Blaze Soul Shard. Makes sense so far. I found a Nether Fortress and stumbled upon a Blaze Spawner. I panicked and killed it with a pickaxe. Now I did have the Soul Shard in my hotbar at the time that was already tagged for Blaze. I thought I read somewhere that destroying a spawner will automatically raise the shard a full Tier. Is that correct? And if so, why didn't it do it to mine?

helfull

Jul 29, 2019
there is a much better way to get tier 5 :D, just make 6-7 tier 0 shards and combine them in an anvil you get a tier 5 :D

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
there is a much better way to get tier 5 :D, just make 6-7 tier 0 shards and combine them in an anvil you get a tier 5 :D

Oh, I had heard you could do something like that. Isn't that a bug, though? I thought it was an exploit that they were going to fix in 8.2.0 Mindcrack. I'll try that when I go home. Much easier :p

helfull

Jul 29, 2019
in DW20 its not but since both packs running same version if shouldne be fixed in mindcrack too

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
in DW20 its not but since both packs running same version if shouldne be fixed in mindcrack too

Ah gotcha. So it's still an available "option" for now :p I definitely have to give this a shot. Blowing 6 or 7 shards isn't exactly what I would consider an exploit because it does require 2-3 diamonds. I did hear it was going away, but good to know not yet.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
I guess sitting in the end with a soul stealer weapon underneath a piston trap was for nothing then! Was fun while it lasted though...having to find the end, kill the dragon, and sit there killing those tall freaks....or searching the twilight forest for large hills that had creeper spawners.... Being the only one on the server with an ender / creeper farm felt nice x)

Anyway, it's lame that you can do the anvil trick since it trivializes yet more of the game. New map and we had an ender spawner before even finding the end...
That being said, I can't be a hypocrite since I'm using this while it lasts. I do have one question though...When combining the tier 0 shards in an anvil to get a t5, do the shards leading up to the t5 have to be the same type of monster? Or can they be different like a zombie tier 0 + a skeleton tier 0 to get a tier 1?

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Whish I knew about the whole anvil stuff earlier. ;) Though.. I consider it a tad on the cheating side, too. Maybe tweak this system in order to make only the same sort of soul shards combineable? Like.. you have a t2 zombie shard and a t3 zombie shard and combine those into a t5 shard? Would make more sense to me, rather than having a t1 creeper shard and fill up the "missing souls" with dead cows. ;)

helfull

Jul 29, 2019
even with t2 + t3 you are not even close to a t5 shard.

t2 = 128 kills
t3 = 256 kill
t5 = 1024 kills

so to make it anysense you need to combine 4 t3 or just 2 t4

but that is not balanced right now and you dont fill them up with missing souls you get souls out of no where :D t0 (1 kill) + t3(256 kills) = t4(512 kills) right now

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
but that is not balanced right now and you dont fill them up with missing souls you get souls out of no where :D t0 (1 kill) + t3(256 kills) = t4(512 kills) right now
While you do get "free" souls due to vanilla Anvil mechanics, it doesn't give quite that big a bonus. The Anvil treats the soul count like the amount of durability left. So in the current situation, repairing shards in the Anvil combines the soul counts of the two given shards but adds a bonus of 122 souls (the standard 12% of maximum "durability"). Thus a 1-kill tier 0 and a 256-kill tier 3 would actually become a 379-kill tier 3.

I would agree with Freakscar's essential point that if you could only combine shards of the same mob-type then most of the exploit is removed; the free souls aspect is still left though. However I have no idea if there is a way to change the repair mechanic other than completely disabling it. I also don't know whether the author even considers it a problem as I didn't find any responses by him about this issue in the MCF topic.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind the bonus - in the end, you ARE sacrificing a second soulshard. Which in itself is not cheap for a mere crystal. And I did not calculate the real upgrades for crystals (this is @helfull), I was just giving a theoretical example.
Just.. killing one Enderman and then filling up the crystal with chicken souls? Does not make any sense. At least not, as long as we do not get a black Enderchicken. Or Zombiecows. or Blazemen. Or.. you get the idea. ;)

shortybsd

Jul 29, 2019
I have an issue with Soul Shards on my servers and tested it on both. If you make a fresh tier 0 soul shard kill one mob so it marries itself to that shard, put it in a cage it will spawn like a tier 5. I have found nothing in the config to change this. Is anyone else having this same problem? I am currently running MCPC+ (for 1.5.2) with Unleashed v1.0.3 and Unleashed v1.1.2. I need it disabled or it defeats the purpose of that mod.