[SOLVED] Reika's mods older version releases

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
This is as good a place as any to make this request:

@Reika, could you kindly provide links to previous two releases of (all) your mods (and dragon api) on your website please? The latest V22 builds have ID conflicts with ars magica2 potions, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
This is as good a place as any to make this request:

@Reika, could you kindly provide links to previous two releases of (all) your mods (and dragon api) on your website please? The latest V22 builds have ID conflicts with ars magica2 potions, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Just fix them, it's really not that difficult ;) Go into the Rotarycraft config and change the "Freeze Potion ID" to 90, it worked for me. I think there were 1 or 2 more conflicts, but they were nothing too big. If you want the older versions, download the older versions of the Monster pack and copy over the files from there.

Reactions: Pyure and Padfoote

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Just fix them, it's really not that difficult ;) Go into the Rotarycraft config and change the "Freeze Potion ID" to 90, it worked for me. I think there were 1 or 2 more conflicts, but they were nothing too big. If you want the older versions, download the older versions of the Monster pack and copy over the files from there.
Still, why would someone not offer older versions?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I was trying to configure an oldschool style manual mod pack and the inability to find previous versions conflicted with the custom config provided.

While it is rather simple to fix, I can see how you might not want to bugger around with configs. But it's modded Minecraft, you sort of should learn this stuff if you want maximum enjoyment.

Try and load your pack instance without any of Reikas mods make a throw away world (unless you don't car about world gen) and perform an item dump with NEI to see some free ID's. You can just change the potion ID mentioned to whatever but doing the dump first is a measure twice cut once dealy.

Also word of warning; If you ask anything of Reika, make damn sure you have good cause to ask lest she throw you in to an operational fusion powered turbine...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Considering the first thing Reika says when a bug is reported is "get the latest version", I can't imagine he'd ever want to voluntarily host known bad files.

Also, that potion conflict goes back at least a version or two.

Honestly, he rolls out content on an extremely frequent basis, and a lot of it is bugfixes to varying degrees of severity; you're never doing yourself a favour by back-versioning :)

Also word of warning; If you ask anything of Reika, make damn sure you have good cause to ask lest she throw you in to an operational fusion powered turbine...
This tickles me particularly since he gets at least a bit annoyed when folks refer to him as "she". :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Considering the first thing Reika says when a bug is reported is "get the latest version", I can't imagine he'd ever want to voluntarily host known bad files.

Also, that potion conflict goes back at least a version or two.

Honestly, he rolls out content on an extremely frequent basis, and a lot of it is bugfixes to varying degrees of severity; you're never doing yourself a favour by back-versioning :)

This tickles me particularly since he gets at least a bit annoyed when folks refer to him as "she". :)

Wait what? I remember seeing a post stating the exact opposite?

I'm confuzzled...

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks to everyone that replied. The replies were interesting at several levels for me.
I'm new to "Reika's way of doing things" , so the comments were, let's say equal parts entertaining to me.

Most, if not all mod authors offer a few earlier releases of their mods. Granted, some do, and some don't. But if the mods are fairly big ones, and if the release cycles are staggered close to each other, it feels like a good practice to leave at least two earlier builds, as a means for people to switch one release behind (cf., calclavia?) in the eventuality of major issues cropping up in existing worlds. It's not some kind of sacrilege either to ask why there aren't at least two earlier releases as a fallback option - at least with massive mods.

Sure, I saw the crash log and the said conflicting ID, and I do know it is a matter of "I has hax0rzzz" with config files until things work. Many thanks for that angle.

Partly my fault for not writing this earlier as it may have avoided this small tangent the thread took, but it was an ungodly hour at my end, I was tired, and meh....

The other big reason for wanting to have an earlier release of the mod is for another reason too. There can also be mod interaction issues due to which people might want to revert back to an earlier version in order to confirm this. In this case, specifically, the minimap loses colour when using V22. On the MCF threads, people mentioning that V21 doesn't give them this problem. So, there's that reason for wanting an earlier release. To keep the mods playing nicely with each other until a few releases when interactivity bugs get ironed out peacefully.

P.S: Monster ships with V19.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
The other big reason for wanting to have an earlier release of the mod is for another reason too. There can also be mod interaction issues due to which people might want to revert back to an earlier version in order to confirm this. In this case, specifically, the minimap loses colour when using V22. On the MCF threads, people mentioning that V21 doesn't give them this problem. So, there's that reason for wanting an earlier release. To keep the mods playing nicely with each other until a few releases when interactivity bugs get ironed out peacefully..
when I'm upgrading mods inside of a pack I'm using, I make a backup copy of the entire instance to revert to just in case something like this happens.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
hey... you stated a problem, i gave the solution i use.

maybe a person shouldn't delete old, known "nice playing" versions straight away as you're upgrading. this is standard computer operating practice. :)

edit: or at least it used to be.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I do not even keep old copies of the mod, so even if I wanted to offer old versions - which I do not, for the reasons given above - I cannot.

[first, goes through the obligatory five stages]
:oops:o_O :eek: :confused: :(
[then edits the thread title]

Can anyone please offer me a link to V21 of dye trees? I want to try something out at my end.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
It would be simpler to fix the conflict...

You did not read my last post? It is not just the ID conflict why I started this thread.
My minimap colours and GUI are shot. And it is V22. V21 is supposed to be behaving well with the map mods. I want to see if that's so, and confirm from my end.