(Solved - ish) MFR Planter - Question on upgrades and filter regions

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Does anybody have a list of how the filter in the MFR Planter breaks up the planting area into the separate regions? I'm trying to work out a planting scheme to keep my biofuel generators going efficiently.

For example, a tin upgrade makes the total plantable area 9x9, and I would have imagined that the filter would break it up into 9 sub-regions of 3x3. EDIT: this is correct

EDIT: see below
But, it actually breaks it up as follows:

4 corners: 2x2
4 sides: either 5x2 or 2x5
Center: 5x5

I might just test them all, but thought I'd ask just in case someone has already done it.

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I have been wondering this myself. Ever since I planted a set of crops with one planter and it came out looking all wrong. Was also the tin upgrades for a 9*9 area. Wondering if the MFR hammer would help with this.

I am loving the different growth increase items though. Especially the sprinkler. It just does wonders for crops.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I have been wondering this myself. Ever since I planted a set of crops with one planter and it came out looking all wrong. Was also the tin upgrades for a 9*9 area. Wondering if the MFR hammer would help with this.

I am loving the different growth increase items though. Especially the sprinkler. It just does wonders for crops.

Yes - the sprinkler really speeds things up, especially if full of bone-meal.

The hammer just shows the total area, rather than the regions I'm afraid.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Done some tests.

A tin upgrade (+3) *does* result in 9 regions of 3x3.

But, it seems like the initial planting can be a bit flaky. The first couple of tests, I only put the upgrade in after loading up the filter and the inventory. That definite caused layout issues. Once I'd removed the misplaced items though, the planter re-laid everything out after that perfectly.

But, even when I carefully put the upgrade in first, then loaded the filter and only after that put items in the inventory - it still seemed to lay things out wrongly. Once I removed the offending items it replanted correctly.

One thing I couldn't be bothered to try was to turn it off with a lever before doing anything - maybe that would work.

Anyway, here are the rules for the centre square, the other regions can be worked out from these ...

Upgrade | Centre
0, +1 | 1x1 (tested)
+2,+3,+4 | 3x3 (tested)
+5,+6,+7 | 5x5 (tested)
+8,+9,+10| 7x7 (guess! tested)
+11 | 9x9 (guess!)

aL0MxhE.png

Last edited:

Ommina

Aug 14, 2014
Is it, perhaps, version / config dependent?

Gazing at the planters I'm using (2.7.9-final) with Tin upgrades, I'm getting nice 3x3 plots.

Are you ensuring there is something in the filter section for a given area to keep the planter from treating it as "can put anything here, yay!"?

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Is it, perhaps, version / config dependent?

Gazing at the planters I'm using (2.7.9-final) with Tin upgrades, I'm getting nice 3x3 plots.

Are you ensuring there is something in the filter section for a given area to keep the planter from treating it as "can put anything here, yay!"?

Thanks for the suggestion but as I said above, yes tin => 3x3 plots. What I had done wrong before - for sure - was to forget to put the upgrade in *before* I'd put items in the filter or the inventory.