[SOLVED] Hobbyist's Steam engine not in pack? Help!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I was watching direwolf's videos, his latest ones using the FTB launcher and the Hobbyist's Steam Engines aren't in his pack? Are they just the 'Steam Engine' now?

Bobodamonkey

Jul 29, 2019
You're thinking of the Steam Engine that comes from Thermal Expansion, a different mod that adds a similar engine. Hobbyist's Steam Engines as well as the rest are still in the pack.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking at my engines in-game right now and there is no hobbyist steam engine in my game.

Edit: And the ones direwolf uses are the hobbyist ones.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
... F ME! I took out railcraft... goddangit! I like those engines but I hate railcraft cart tracks. Man...

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Don't hate on RailCraft, you have never built a fully automatic transport system for players, energy, and raw resources before have you? Its 1 of the best things I ever done in a world. Signals rule btw.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
shame on you for removing my favorite mod >:c

srsly though - steam power is amazing :3

as are embarking rails, the cheaper rail recipes, steel tools, linking minecarts into trains, loading and unloading of chest carts, wye tracks, holding tracks, and signals :D

It also makes steves carts amazing and traincraft tolerable (really only use traincraft for the zeppelin because zeppelin)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
If you really don't like the track recipes, there's a config option to restore vanilla recipes. Then you can leave the mod in without worrying about that part.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
railcraft:
-6 wood planks in the form of 12 slabs of wood
-4 bottles of creosote oil (a free byproduct of doubling coal or creating charcoal at no cost beyond the sand and clay for the coke oven)
-2.25 iron ingots and 2.25 coal in the form of 2 steel ingots used to make 6 rails in a rolling machine (6 to 16 ratio)

for 16 rails

recipe for vanilla:
-1 stick
-6 iron

for 16 rails

for the same amount of iron input, you get 2.66 times as much track. true you need some coal and extra wood, but I've never experienced a situation where I needed rails and could not come up with the creosote or with the fuel to make steel (which I use a lot of anyway). A coke oven is one of the first machines I make in railcraft, the value of double fuel in early game is great. You can save 25% of your creosote and easily automate by using a carpenter to make the rail ties as well.

I admit - traincraft has both vanilla and railcraft beat for the basic track recipe. 1 stick, 6 steel, 64 rails. Their steel is also substantially easier to make, using 1 clay, 8 coal and 24 iron to make 64 steel all without a blast furnace. I wish there were a way for a server to disable that recipe...

EDIT: hehe... even worse

using 6 steel and 1 stick to make 64 tracks with traincraft, you could then use the 8 track to 2 rails recipe of railcraft to receive 16 total standard rails without a rolling machine, then use the rails in railcraft recipes without mj req.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I keep hearing people talk about Traincraft Steel and stuff, but whenever I look in NEI I don't see any recipe other than smelting it in a Blast Furnace. Is the Traincraft recipe not in NEI? Or is it disabled in the Mindcrack pack? (due to GregTech or just because it's a hard mode pack).
Not that I'm particularly interested in abusing it or anything, but I'm just wondering why I can't find it...

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I keep hearing people talk about Traincraft Steel and stuff, but whenever I look in NEI I don't see any recipe other than smelting it in a Blast Furnace. Is the Traincraft recipe not in NEI? Or is it disabled in the Mindcrack pack? (due to GregTech or just because it's a hard mode pack).
Not that I'm particularly interested in abusing it or anything, but I'm just wondering why I can't find it...
Yeah, I think the recipe for steel from trainscraft was removed in the pack.
It was way too easy to get steel with it, and completely destroyed the balance that railscraft had, where steel had a massive bonus compared to iron (for tools and such).

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
am currently using mindcrack and it definitely is in this pack.

You must craft the entire thing on a train workbench, for which recipes in NEI do not show.
first 4 coal in a square to get traincraft coal dust. Do this twice
then 8 coal dust around 1 clay to get 8 graphite
then 3 iron ingots across the middle and 1 graphite in the bottom middle to get your steel dust. cook steel dust in furnace.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Hum, I am sure I saw a video on the Mindcrack server where someone was complaining that the graphite to steel was replaced by graphite to more graphite...

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
How do I change the recipes back to vanilla for tracks? I changed the line in the .cfg file, but it didn't do anything.

Upon further looking there was supposed to be a line with some vanilla.whatever stuff but it's apparently not in the .cfg file anymore since some update. So I'm really not sure how to get the vanilla rails .Here is the part I think it's supposed to be in:

####################
# railcraft
####################

railcraft {
####################
# track
####################

track {
#
# change to 'useAltRecipes=true' to use track recipes more similar to vanilla minecraft
#
B:useAltRecipes=true
}

but as you can see I've set it to true and it's still not working.

I've even tried crafting the vanilla recipes with this changed and it doesn't work.

Edit: I'm a tard, had to change it in my client's file too... ahahahha. Solved.