Unix [solved] good hardware suddenly 2fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wcubed

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

Since today my fps in FTB dropped to 2, yesterday I was playing fine at about 12-20.

As far as I know I have changed nothing to my minecraft/java.

When I install optifine and look at the lagometer, I notice that the lag is because of the ticks, not because of anything rendering related.

It don't think it's my hardware, it was fine until now and it's a quite powerful setup.
I have:
AMD 6200 six core cpu
16 GB of ram.
AMD 6970 lightning graphics cart

Does anyone know what could cause this and if there is a solution to it, cause FTB has suddenly become unplayable for me.

btw. my os is Ubuntu 13.04 (64-bit)

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
While I don't know nothing about Unix. A frame rate of 25 or above is considered playable for you to only have between 12 to 20 is, imo, going to render the game unplayable.

Wcubed

Jul 29, 2019
I know, but compared to 2 fps a frame rate of 12-20 is at least a little smooth.

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
Check the cpu usage of minecraft and any other open programs something else may be hogging the cpu. Also post the log from the launcher console to pastebin.

Wcubed

Jul 29, 2019
The cpu usage of minecraft is 31 at max, at that moment I had around 9 fps and my cpu was well below the 50%.
Strange thing is when I do esc with the debug still up I get around 30 fps and the world starts rendering rapidly, but when I go back to the game it slows down again to 9 fps.
Log on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/GV8KnRKK

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
Ingame hold shift and press F3 and there should be a pie graph and below there should be a list of each task, post a screenshot then press 1 and take another screenshot until the entire graph is green which is unspecified. This shows what in minecraft is taking up the most resources. Also have you tried playing vanilla minecraft or creating a new ftb world because it could be something in your world that's causing the issue.

Wcubed

Jul 29, 2019
In vanilla minecraft (1.5.2) I get around 25-30 fps.
In a new ftb world the thing taking up the most is render, my fps is around 26 then.
After around 5 sec the purple region (tick) starts to take over and my frame rate drops rapidly to 2.
I could take 3 screenshots, after that pressing the 1 key didn't do anything anymore, my fps was 1 at that time.
[ spoiler ]
BhO2Y9C.jpg

FMuQBOv.jpg

KjRReSs.jpg

[ /spoiler ]
After the last screenshot my game practically froze.
It looks like there is some kind of memory/cpu loop or something that's taking up all the space

iMontouch

Jul 29, 2019
have you tryd a completly new ftb installation?
just to make sure there arent any corrupted files or something else.

Wcubed

Jul 29, 2019
Good suggestion, I had refreshed everything except the launcher.
Now I have downloaded a new launcher and this is what I get:

After the start of a new world everything seems smoother than before, I am at 15-20.
After a couple of minutes the purple tick region starts to grow and take up half of the pie.
My frame rate has then dropped to 2 fps again and from then on even a new world has 2 fps at the start.
Only restarting minecraft resets the fps to 15-20 again.

For a moment I thought that your solution worked, but sadly nothing has changed.

Wcubed

Jul 29, 2019
I have profiled for some time and taken two snapshots.
But I have no idea how to use the output of this program.
The methods that take up the most differ between the two snapshot, but in both the most heavy start with:
org.lwgjl.opengl.GL11

Strange thing is my system monitor shows java taking up 20% cpu and a more sophisticated program (htop) shows two java processes taking up both 50% of the cpu.
I think the system monitor shows the percentage of the whole cpu and the other program shows percentages per core. So java is taking up 20% of my whole cpu while getting 1fps.

When I'm playing my console gets cluttered up with this:
2013-07-10 15:22:33 [INFO] [STDOUT] Something's taking too long! 'root.tick' took aprox 527.204898 ms
2013-07-10 15:22:33 [INFO] [STDOUT] Something's taking too long! 'root' took aprox 587.978984 ms

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
The issue is that it's trying to do something weird with textures but there's no way to know what mod is doing it because it's unspecified in the debug screen. This is why in the pie graph tick was taking up most of the resources because of textures. This is also why the methods taking up the most resources are lwjgl which deals with all the rendering. Whatever it's doing is trying to be fit into a single tick which is supposed to only take 50ms but it's taking 500-600ms which is why the console is complaining that the ticks are lasting too long. You could try importing the instance into multimc and using the latest version of lwjgl or manually updating lwjgl because it's most likely an issue witht the linux version of lwjgl and a mod. You can also try removing 1 or 2 mods and entering the world repeatedly until it stops lagging to figure out which mod is causing the issue because this is definitely and issue with one of the mods since it doesn't happen for you in vanilla.

Wcubed

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, will try this, I updated lwjgl manually to the latest version.
- I removed every mod and fps was 28-39 that's good. The amount of processor space the ticks were taking was even decreasing over time. After this I will ad a bunch of mods at a time and play a new copy of the same world.
+ Nei, Buildcraft, Computercraft, MinefactoryReloaded, AppliedEnergistics -> around 30 fps
+ Portalgun, Ironchest, InvTweaks, Forestry, Railcraft -> 25-32 fps
+ Factorization, ChickenChunks, Enderstorage, Soulshards, Mystcraft -> 25-32 fps
+ Redpower, Wireless redstone, Thaumcraft, IC2 -> 25-32 fps
+ Advancedmachines, Gravisuite, GregTech, NuclearControl, advancedsolarpanel, chargepads -> 25-32 fps but after a while its 19-25 but doesn't drop any further.
- Advancedmachines, Gravisuite, GregTech, NuclearControl, advancedsolarpanel, chargepads -> ftb still complains about ticks too long.
- Redpower, Wireless redstone -> Ftb only complained about root taking too long twice.

Hmm lets remove them one or two at a time.
Everything -> ftb constantly complaining about root, low fps at start of world doesn't get much better, only worse.
Without - Redpower, wirelessredstone -> same as above.
Without - IC2, gregtech and addons -> same as above
Without - factorization, xycraft, minefactoryreloaded -> same
Without - Ironchest, chickenchunks, Thaumcraft, Gravigun -> same
Without - InvTweaks, ee3, voxelMap -> same
Without - voxelcommon, MFFS, StevesCarts, ThaumicBees -> same
BiblioCraft, TwilightForest, Railcraft, Voxelpacket -> ...
secretroomsmod, ExtrabiomesXL, buildcraft, tubestuff ->
NehterOres, omnitools, FlatBedrock, Thermalexpansion ->
Extrabees, soulshards, Voxelmenu, obsidiplates ->
AppliedEnergistics, EnderStorage, Voxelplayer, Xreliquary ->
PortalGun, forestry, gravisuite, powerconverters, extrabees, thaumicbees ->
ModualPowersuits, mystcraft -> same and last mods, strange....

Don't know what I do wrong, but this doesn't seem to be leading anywhere...

darman81

Jul 29, 2019
the EXACT same thing has happened to me.Most of your lag is supposed to be caused by game render but now 75% of lag is caused by tick and when the game is paused all of the tick lag disappears

Wcubed

Jul 29, 2019
I'ts good to know I'm not the only one with the problem. Just to make sure: You didn't recently switch your monitor from VGA (or DVI) to HDMI, no idea if that has anything to do with it, probably not... but you never know.

Thanks for your help TheSandwichMakr.

Wcubed

Jul 29, 2019
I fixed it! The problem was (at least that's what I think) that I was not using the proprietary video drivers but some "Xserver.Xorg.video.ati" thing. Switched to proprietary and now I have 35-117 fps and it's running realy smooth.
I hope this also works for you darman81

Thanks to everyone who helped

darman81

Jul 29, 2019
I fixed it! The problem was (at least that's what I think) that I was not using the proprietary video drivers but some "Xserver.Xorg.video.ati" thing. Switched to proprietary and now I have 35-117 fps and it's running realy smooth.
I hope this also works for you darman81

Thanks to everyone who helped
How did you switch to proprietary?

Status
Not open for further replies.