So how much hotbar space do you have spare?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
For a while in modded minecraft history I found myself not really hurting for hotbar space, but recently, I find myself searching for things to take off my bar more and more.

I had the drills from industrialcraft early on, and then the power fist from MPS that made hotbar space less of a concern.

But now it seems Tinker's dominates the tool scene, and I'm rarely without a handy bag o' stuff. With often a pick, sword, shovel, axe, bag, and torches plus food, it's not uncommon for me to have only two hotbar slots to use for stuff. More recently I'm trimming down less-used items like torches, food and even an axe, which has netted considerable extra space, but I'm always yearning for more. I somehow keep filling that extra space with other items that just have to be there too, a thaumonomicon perhaps, or a bow, maybe a sigil or wrench.

How about you? what fills your hotbar?
Are you constantly out of space, or do you have slots to spare and if you do, can I have them?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I just keep a golden bag of holding in my Hot bar full of junk. I only keep my sword, pick, food, and the bag at all times. I dig the rest out of the bag just when I need it. It's nice to always have conduits, levers, extra torches, etc..I also keep Forestry backpacks to collect what I dig up. I got really tired of running out of room.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
lets see...
1: sword
2: bow
3: thaumcraft wand
4: empty space (for things pulled from bag)
5: ars magica spell book
6: ender bag
7: spectre key
8: various foods
9: torches

EDIT: changed for my custom pack
1: thaumcraft staff
2: bow of bone
3: wand
4: empty space
5: empty space
6: alchemical bag
7: spectre key
8: lunchbox
9: sigil of light

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
1. Pick
2. Shovel
3. Axe
4. Sword
5. Misc
6. Misc
7. Misc
8. Food
9. Torches

Soooo, I usually have 3 slots available. #7 is typically filled with either a flux capacitor or bag of holding, when I'm digging, 5 is typically a waste block of some sort (dirt, cobble, etc) so I can build impromptu bridges and the like, and 6 is usually what I'm mining for, so I have a rough idea how much I have.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
1. Sword or staff
2. Stone pick
3. Iron pick
4. Shovel
5. Axe
6. Block of some sort
8. Food
9. Torches

Once I can get a pick Axe of the core, I swap that into slot two and everything else moves up one except the food and torches. The Axe and shovel are swapped out for wands or bows if I am out hunting mobs. So early game I have 1 slot available, Later game I have 2 or 3 depending on what I am doing.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
1 Sword
2 Gravisuite Advanced diamond drill(pick axe,shovel,hammer,excavator and torch placer)
3 Gravisuite Advanced chainsaw(only if I am working with wood, rarely)
8 Enderpouch(tools)
9 Enderpouch(sorting system auto sort)

Food is kept in inventory in form of Canned food and auto fed by Quantum helmet. Player interface keeping stock and getting rid of empty cans. Torches also kept in inventory as the Drill can place them directly from there.
This setup leaves me 4-5 free slots for various building materials when building.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
1 Sword
2 Gravisuite Advanced diamond drill(pick axe,shovel,hammer,excavator and torch placer)
3 Gravisuite Advanced chainsaw(only if I am working with wood, rarely)
8 Enderpouch(tools)
9 Enderpouch(sorting system auto sort)

Food is kept in inventory in form of Canned food and auto fed by Quantum helmet. Player interface keeping stock and getting rid of empty cans. Torches also kept in inventory as the Drill can place them directly from there.
This setup leaves me 4-5 free slots for various building materials when building.
Sadly, I have no gravisuite, although I suspect I might be adding it soon, if I can.

So far the free/building slots seem to range from 1 to 5, with rhn and Driftin at the top using multitools or bags to make up the extra saved space.

as for the things that are taking up most hotbar space, for now it looks like it's tools, with three of us ruined by having pick,sword,shovel and/or axe, plus a mage whose tools are of a different kind, but take up space all the same.

Foods and torches seem high on the agenda for hotbar space, which seems a tad odd considering if we really thought about it, they would probably do fine in a bag most of the time, food coming out in groups of 1-2 items every now and then for eating, and torches mostly coming out for mining, although they can be a building material or essential at times, they would fit in the free slots when needed. I wonder why we cling to food and torches in the hotbar?.

Rhn seems to have the most streamlined hotbar thus far which isn't too surprising, considering his building skills. With food, torches, a good set of tools and some bags, he's got some great stuff covered with 4/5 spaces to spare.

I'd also wonder, how does everyone feel about their hotbar, are you happy with the spaces you have? or like me do you always want just a couple extra free spots?.

I'm hoping to provoke some thought with this thread, for others and myself, by taking a glance at how others organise themselves, maybe we can all organise each-other just a little bit better. We also get a glimpse into tool alternatives that may have not been considered, but are useful and rival our current favourites. I've already learned that the advanced diamond drill does a lot more than I thought it did.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'd also wonder, how does everyone feel about their hotbar, are you happy with the spaces you have? or like me do you always want just a couple extra free spots?.
Oh I could use 10 more slots easily. Specially when working with microblocks, carpenters blocks etc. all in multiple different material styles. I am constantly swapping things in and out.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
1 - Random crap
2 - Random crap
3 - Random crap
4 - Random crap
5 - Random crap
6 - Random crap
7 - Random crap
8 - Random crap
9 - Crescent hammer

Somewhere in that random crap SHOULD be food and a pickaxe. But then everything else is just a mess.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If I go with a staff instead of the sword of the zephyr, I will often get rid of the shovel and axe as the excavation focus can do the job of both.

With this play through I am going staff all the way, and will have a fair amount of free space in the hot bar as the various focuses can be changed as needed.

1. Necromancer's Staff/Staff of the Primal
2. Pick Axe of the Core (when mining)
2. Wand (any other time)
3. Some sort of block
8. Food
9. Torches

I keep food on the hot bar so I can easily refill my hunger for the health regeneration. As my runic shielding is increased, this will be needed less. Other various tools (and food) will be kept in my ender chest accessible via wand focus.

Two staffs/wands are used so I can always have some sort of offensive focus readily available.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I hate when something requires to be in the hotbar to function, e.g. flux capacitors or EnderIO's electromagnet. This is imo what makes the electromagnet much inferior to Botania's ring.

What I have in my hotbar is dependent on the situation. I have a sword, a pick, cobblestone and food there most of the time, but I only equip a bow when hunting for monsters or while I'm in the nether and I only need hammer, shovel and torches while mining.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
My set up goes like this:

1: Sword
2: Pick
3: Torches
4: Hammer
5: Cobblestone/Equivalent
6: Shovel/Excavator
7: Dirt/Gravel
8: Axe/Food
9: Flux Capacitor

Of course that's only if I'm mining. Otherwise the hammer/shovel tools and their placing items go into my inventory or knapsack. Then I've usually got the Crescent Hammer/Yeta Wrench on 4 and the items I'm placing filling the remainder of the bar.

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
For people who want a second hotbar use the tinker construct belt (gos in that area were the extra hearts go) you can hit b by defalt and if gives you a second hot bar granted you have to hit it agin to go back to the vinilla one. I personally use it for building. Also you can have both the axe shovel and even a hoe in one slot with the mattock from tinkers construct as well

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
Also it depends at what point in time you look at your hotbar. Like the majority of poeple early on in the game you going to have more stuff in your hot bar but as time goes on you will either gain or lose space in your hot bar(hopefully gain) so with that what do your hotbars look like early game as well as late game.

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
Without MPS Power Fist (Early- /Mid- Game)

1. Sword (TiCo)
2. Pickaxe (TiCo)
3. Shovel or Axe (TiCo) (switching them by requirement)
5. IC2 Minig Laser if available
6. Miners Backpack
7. Flux capacitor (for fluxed TiCo pickaxe)
8. Torches
9. Food

With MPS:

1. MPS Power Fist
9. Food

At this point I usually do not mine manually any more.
Except from revieweing my strip mining turtles corridors. So no minig laser or TiCo tools and stuff.