So, get me a graphics editor.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
So, I want a graphics editor so I can start with the wiki and finally get EnderIO done. Free is a requirement, I'm not going to pay for a graphics editor. So, please let me know!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
or Microsoft Paint, I've seen people creating very amazing artwork using just Paint

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
So, I want a graphics editor so I can start with the wiki and finally get EnderIO done. Free is a requirement, I'm not going to pay for a graphics editor. So, please let me know!
wait wut, why do you need one for the wiki? I'm confused...

also photoshop master race

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Gimp. Has everything Photoshop has, but free!

that sir, is hilarious. While GIMP is good, and has all of the features that an amateur graphics designer would need...photoshop has many more features, produces better results, has many more addons/plugins, and is overall on a completely different level in comparison.

GIMP is good...but doesn't have anywhere near "everything" that Photoshop has. Just sayin' :)

disclaimer: this message coming to you from the proud owner of Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection 4, 5, and 6.

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
that sir, is hilarious. While GIMP is good, and has all of the features that an amateur graphics designer would need...photoshop has many more features, produces better results, has many more addons/plugins, and is overall on a completely different level in comparison.

GIMP is good...but doesn't have anywhere near "everything" that Photoshop has. Just sayin' :)

disclaimer: this message coming to you from the proud owner of Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection 4, 5, and 6.

This is all true, but GIMP has everything he will need for the purposes of illustrating a Wiki.

This isn't Mr. Draper on Madison avenue, so let's not get overkill shall we? Photoshop is like bringing a machete when a pocket knife will do just fine. The features, results, plugins, etc. will largely be a waste for it's intended purpose.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Well, tilesheets.

That's just a simple cut of the item / block (making sure there's a transparency behind it, made that mistake), naming it, and sending it to Santa. I just use GIMP for it.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
That's just a simple cut of the item / block (making sure there's a transparency behind it, made that mistake), naming it, and sending it to Santa. I just use GIMP for it.
Oh, I thought I had to stitch the images myself. :p

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
This is all true, but GIMP has everything he will need for the purposes of illustrating a Wiki.

This isn't Mr. Draper on Madison avenue, so let's not get overkill shall we? Photoshop is like bringing a machete when a pocket knife will do just fine. The features, results, plugins, etc. will largely be a waste for it's intended purpose.

pretty sure that's exactly what I said...with my initial post of recommending GIMP, and then my followup post saying it will work for everything he needs ;)

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
pretty sure that's exactly what I said...with my initial post of recommending GIMP, and then my followup post saying it will work for everything he needs ;)

yes, and in your followup you blasted GIMP as if it weren't "enough" for this large project the OP has on his hands...as if photoshop would polish it just a bit more.

all i was saying is that it won't. ;)

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
yes, and in your followup you blasted GIMP as if it weren't "enough" for this large project the OP has on his hands...as if photoshop would polish it just a bit more.

all i was saying is that it won't. ;)
You can make custom brushes in Photoshop, and, last time I used it, you can't with Gimp. This is extremely helpful for chopping the background from standard blocks, which is most of what @trajing will be doing anyway.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
You can make custom brushes in Photoshop, and, last time I used it, you can't with Gimp. This is extremely helpful for chopping the background from standard blocks, which is most of what @trajing will be doing anyway.
This is true, but Is it worth purchasing a $200+ piece of software for this feature alone, for the purposes @trajing will be using it for? Definitely not.

@trajing, unless you plan on making money from your graphical skills, or are going to school for it, I'd fiddle around with non-custom brushes in gimp.

Reactions: SatanicSanta