Small rant about TE.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
I understand why the decision was made to introduce a new type of power. I can't say that I like it, but I can deal with it.

It makes a little less sense to me why you would take those steps but still allow one-way conversion.

What I really don't get, though, is tesseracts and the way they [don't] interact with pipes. They are simply connections from point A to point B.

Why can't they play nice with pipes? Why can every other TE machine send & receive items & liquids though pipes but tesseracts can't? If there's no good reason for it and it's just a way to be obtuse, then why not make it so pipes won't connect to it to give a visual cue that this isn't going to work?

I mean, it would have saved me the effort of trying to troubleshoot the reason my quarry is just belching items all over the place. It would have saved me from feeling irritated about the fact that I wouldn't have even made the damn things if I had a clue.

As it is, there is no reason to believe that a tesseract won't play nice with item pipes or liquid pipes until you actually try it and find out otherwise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Stormguard14

Jul 29, 2019
That is very strange, as i have used a tesseract on a quarry with no problems. Do you have it setup correctly? You have to go into the interface and set it to send items, not receive them. The same with power and fluids.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The other option is a chest on a quarry, then TE ducts to pull from chest to tesseract. Gives you a bit of a buffer space, just in case anything goes wrong on the other end of the tesseract.

Reactions: RedBoss

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
You're probably configuring your Tesseract wrong. I have a chest in front of my quarry with a Extra Utilities transfer node extracting items (with speed upgrades) splitting to a trash can and a chest (with filtering of course). Then I also have itemducts extracting from the chest going to a Tesseract which links back to my sorting system.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
I just use an Ender Chest on top of my quarry and use a tesseract to send power.
I just wish the tesseract would send power directly to the quarry. Adding a redstone conduit between them solves the problem, but its yet 1 more block I have to deal with.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
After a bit more testing, I found that the issue I was having regarding a tesseract directly on top of a quarry was because that the receiving tesseract was still hooked up to item transfer pipes, and for some reason it can't directly push items to pipes anymore. But it can output directly to a basic logistics pipe (who knows?).

In fact, after changing the receiving tesseract output to a logistics pipe instead of a normal item transfer pipe, the sending tesseract will then accept items from a normal item transfer pipe. After this discovery I attempted to replace the logistics pipe on the receiving tesseract with a wooden pipe (and engines) and it won't work that way either.

Tesseracts still refuse to connect to Buildcraft waterproof pipes, though.

The rant wasn't about being unable to eventually figure out how to make them work. It was about seemingly random & transparent changes to a system. There's no reason for a player to think that a tesseract won't automatically output to Buildcraft item pipes when every other TE machine can do so with no complaint. At least in the case of Buildcraft waterprooof pipes there can be no misconception because they just plain refuse to connect.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
After a bit more testing, I found that the issue I was having regarding a tesseract directly on top of a quarry was because that the receiving quarry was still hooked up to item transfer pipes, and for some reason it can't directly push items to pipes anymore. But it can output directly to a basic logistics pipe (who knows?).

In fact, after changing the receiving tesseract output to a logistics pipe instead of a normal item transfer pipe, the sending tesseract will then accept items from a normal item transfer pipe. After this discovery I attempted to replace the logistics pipe on the receiving tesseract with a wooden pipe (and engines) and it won't work that way either.

Tesseracts still refuse to connect to Buildcraft waterproof pipes, though.

The rant wasn't about being unable to eventually figure out how to make them work. It was about seemingly random & transparent changes to a system. There's no reason for a player to think that a tesseract won't automatically output to Buildcraft item pipes when every other TE machine can do so with no complaint. At least in the case of Buildcraft waterprooof pipes there can be no misconception because they just plain refuse to connect.
By item transfer pipes, I'm guessing you mean itemducts. My tesseract receiving items from my quarry has no problems at all transferring directly to an itemduct. Did you forget to change the arrow to output from the tesseract?

Also, I think you called a tesseract a quarry...was pretty confused for a moment.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Do this:

T I
C Q

It's a 2x2 block strcture, where you have
T = Tesseract (receives Energy, sends items)
I = ItemDuct configured as: blue arrow to the tesseract, red arrow from the quarry
C = A conduit (Redstone Conduit is recommended)
Q = Quarry

Buildcraft Pipes do not connect to tesseracts, only TE's machines does. Now write that down in your notepad, and bring tihs with you for the future
- Tesseracts are not like regular Machines.
- Conduits converts RF to MJ, not Tesseracts
- When something doesn't work in one way, just change to another solution. Let's see: BC pipes are not working, let's try TE's pipes or any other piping system (ProjectRed, Factorization, Hoppers).

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
By item transfer pipes, I'm guessing you mean itemducts. My tesseract receiving items from my quarry has no problems at all transferring directly to an itemduct. Did you forget to change the arrow to output from the tesseract?
No, I mean the Buildcraft variety of item transfer pipes. I'm trying to get items into my LP system, so I didn't want to use TE itemducts.

Also, I think you called a tesseract a quarry...was pretty confused for a moment.
I did. =/ Fixed.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm on the boat of using an enderchest instead for items. A tesseract for energy sure, but the enderchest will act as a buffer, is only one item that needs to be placed, no configuration, no special tool to dissemble. Also use the same enderchest channel for my enderpouch to send junk back home and all kinds of remote contraptions that result in items that need to be send back home.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
No, I mean the Buildcraft variety of item transfer pipes. I'm trying to get items into my LP system, so I didn't want to use TE itemducts.

I did. =/ Fixed.
You could have an itemduct connecting your sorting chest with your tesseract which leads to your LP system or a random chest stuck somewhere connected to your LP system connected to the tesseract.[DOUBLEPOST=1394652551][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm on the boat of using an enderchest instead for items. A tesseract for energy sure, but the enderchest will act as a buffer, is only one item that needs to be placed, no configuration, no special tool to dissemble. Also use the same enderchest channel for my enderpouch to send junk back home and all kinds of remote contraptions that result in items that need to be send back home.
I agree, but for me, it's so much more convenient to just have a tesseract both giving energy and sending items.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
I understand why the decision was made to introduce a new type of power. I can't say that I like it, but I can deal with it.

It makes a little less sense to me why you would take those steps but still allow one-way conversion.

What I really don't get, though, is tesseracts and the way they [don't] interact with pipes. They are simply connections from point A to point B.

Why can't they play nice with pipes? Why can every other TE machine send & receive items & liquids though pipes but tesseracts can't? If there's no good reason for it and it's just a way to be obtuse, then why not make it so pipes won't connect to it to give a visual cue that this isn't going to work?

I mean, it would have saved me the effort of trying to troubleshoot the reason my quarry is just belching items all over the place. It would have saved me from feeling irritated about the fact that I wouldn't have even made the damn things if I had a clue.

As it is, there is no reason to believe that a tesseract won't play nice with item pipes or liquid pipes until you actually try it and find out otherwise.

It's a data structure issue, fundamentally. Buildcraft pipes are not safe, from a software point of view. In 2.x of TE, it was possible to use BC pipes and Tesseracts to wreck a server by placing a single pipe connecting two Tesseracts.

BuildCraft will likely never implement the fix, so the prevention was simply to drop pipe support.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Wow, KingLemming stopped by! Missed your posts, glad you are still lurking around. Thought you moved on due to RL stuff.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
It's a data structure issue, fundamentally. Buildcraft pipes are not safe, from a software point of view. In 2.x of TE, it was possible to use BC pipes and Tesseracts to wreck a server by placing a single pipe connecting two Tesseracts.

BuildCraft will likely never implement the fix, so the prevention was simply to drop pipe support.
Thanks for coming by and giving an explanation.

That's really unfortunate, though. TE and Buildcraft were the two mods I used the most in 1.4.7, and almost always side-by-side.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Can buildcraft pipes still drop into tesseracts? I could do that one or two (1.6) versions ago just wondering if it was still possible.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
Can buildcraft pipes still drop into tesseracts? I could do that one or two (1.6) versions ago just wondering if it was still possible.
Yeah, that's something I posted earlier.

You can insert into them with pipes, they just can't output to pipes. They can output to Basic Logistics Pipes, though.

Buildcraft Waterproof Pipes won't even connect to the tesseract at all, though.