Skins!

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
So, for those of you who missed it - in 1.5.x, King Lemming and his crew brings us the capability to change skins ingame via a chat command. And: those skins don't have to be Minecraft's standard 64x32 - they can be higher resolutions too! HD skins, if you will.

The question is though... how does one go about making a skin? Especially a HD one?

I've so far been using this online editor for standard skins: http://minecraft.novaskin.me/ because it conveniently allows me to edit the figure directly (though I only edited existing skins a bit). It cannot do HD, though. So I tried loading a texture sheet into Paint (for lack of a better software), and well, I didn't even try to make changes. I have no idea how that mess of pixels could possibly translate onto an actual model, and I cannot imagine how any changes I make would actually look ingame. Whatever texture artists do, my brain cannot follow that kind of mental acrobatics.

So do you guys have any recommendations for a complete artistic failure like myself?

Failing that, are you guys at least excited about HD skins to match your HD textures?

Everlast

Jul 29, 2019
Not a big fan of HD skins myself, but I'm sure some people are and I can appreciate what this addition brings.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm. I'm actually surprised, considering the amount of passion that people have for texture packs and vanilla skins, that nobody seems to care about HD skins... oh well. Guess I'll give it another month or two.

Thewafflier

Jul 29, 2019
Except for the most part other people won't be able to see your hd skins unless they also have that mod.
Also, TECHNICALLY, hd skins have been in minecraft since minecraft had a seeable other character. If you are using an hd texture pack, then most likely the char.png will be hd making any people who don't have their own skins and people the skin server has forgotten about become said "hd" skin.
ON A THIRD NOTE, dude there are tons of amazing and FREE photo editing softwares, like GIMP(for absolutely ANYTHING) and PAINT.NET (Windows)

Cman333

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to do it pixel-by-pixel, use paint.net. If you want to do some more advanced stuff I suggest using GIMP (though you will have to look up tutorials for GIMP).