Silk Touch & pulverizing VS Fortune

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Which enchantment (or Tinkers' Construct upgrade) is better to use; will you get more gems (diamond, emerald, chimerite, certus quartz) by mining them with a Fortune III pick or macerating/pulverizing the ore blocks?

For some reason, I feel that silk touch is the way to go. Especially for redstone and lapis. But I'm not sure about the others...

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Silk touch is best for redstone, if only for the cinnabar. If you've got fortune III, then you'll be getting quite a bit more on average than what a pulverizer would normally give. The pulverizer is really good for early game as the extra diamonds really come in handy and silk touch is far easier to obtain on Tinkers' Construct tools.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Yes... but when it's pulverized it is a valuable (and possibly the easiest) source of TE cinnabar.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Yes... but when it's pulverized it is a valuable (and possibly the easiest) source of TE cinnabar.
IIRC you can also get it by adding liquid cryotheoum (or however it is spelled) to TC cinnabar via the fluid transposer. Haven't really bothered with cinnabar in a while as I have been playing exclusively Agrarian Skies, where you get more shiny ingots than you will ever need while trying to get enough iron.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Well, yes, but that requires more effort. It will be useful later on, but shiny ingots are better for me in the early game. Plus, the cinnabar is basically free as a byproduct.

It just depends on your playing style, I guess. I looked up the Fortune III enchantment description on the Minecraft wiki; apparently, there is an "average" 120% increase, which is better than processing, it turns out.

Reactions: GWgameing1

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
An extra thing to note is that fortune 3 works with auto-smelt, so you can get more metal ores. Although with stuff like nickel it is probably better to pulverise it, unless you have nether ores or metallurgy.

Reactions: GWgameing1

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
An extra thing to note is that fortune 3 works with auto-smelt, so you can get more metal ores. Although with stuff like nickel it is probably better to pulverise it, unless you have nether ores or metallurgy.
+it gives tons of xp when you mine ores with hammer!

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
According to the Minecraft wiki,
Fortune III yields a 120% increase in dropped items when used on coal, diamond, emerald, nether quartz and lapis lazuli. So it's better to mine these with Fortune III, since pulverizing usually increases the yield by 100% only.

For redstone, only the maximum amount of drops is increased (up to +3), so it's definately better to silk touch it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If your modpack has RotaryCraft (and therefore the Extractor) there's essentially no reason to ever use fortune.

But this assumes I can take liberty with "pulverizing" to mean "breaking down into dusts" and not just using the pulverizer from TE :)

Reactions: Staxed

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I took out Reika's mods, as well as a few others, to see if my memory usage would go down. It didn't, so I'm probably going to put them back in.
But this assumes I can take liberty with "pulverizing" to mean "breaking down into dusts" and not just using the pulverizer from TE :)
Sure, however you see it.
According to the Minecraft wiki,
Fortune III yields a 120% increase in dropped items when used on coal, diamond, emerald, nether quartz and lapis lazuli. So it's better to mine these with Fortune III, since pulverizing usually increases the yield by 100% only.

For redstone, only the maximum amount of drops is increased (up to +3), so it's definately better to silk touch it.
You could also, like I do, silk touch everything, then later at your base fortune mine the ores you need to. Or set up an autonomous activator to do it.

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
If your modpack has RotaryCraft (and therefore the Extractor) there's essentially no reason to ever use fortune.

by extracting 64 certuz quartz ore in rotarycraft extractor you got nearly 1000 certuz quartz!!!!
for 16 cobalt ore you get around 120 cobalt ingots .!!! :eek:
so its better to silk touch things and extract them if you can you will be drowning in resources ... ;)

Reactions: madnewmy and Pyure

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO's SAG Mill also gives you 3 coal and a decent chance of pulverized coal per ore, and 2 nether quartz + 1 dust per nether quartz ore.
The only normal ore that doesn't benefit from silk touch and machines is lapis.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
EnderIO's SAG Mill also gives you 3 coal and a decent chance of pulverized coal per ore, and 2 nether quartz + 1 dust per nether quartz ore.
The only normal ore that doesn't benefit from silk touch and machines is lapis.
And even there, you can just bring the lapis home and use a Fortune 3 pick on it back at base

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I think, like how 2x ore processing has become widely adopted by many mods as the standard, silk touch and pulverizing/macerating should usually be the most productive way to handle ores unless they are magical in nature. Right now that is only the case with redstone.