Should modpacks have a mod limit?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

100greenmen

Jul 29, 2019
I have noticed that alot of the new modpacks have a lot of mods in them. And not just mods that make little tweaks or add a few decorational blocks. Mods like ars magica thaumcraft, computercraft, factorization, and logisticcs pipes. Having more mods can be a lot of fun, giving players more stuff to do. But the brain can only hold so much information, young or old, might not be able to understand or know what to do with the sheer mass of information. And any new players who decide to play play ftb after mastering vanilla would be staggering backward to see the amount of new content, and either be horrified, or take it as a challenge. And there is always the issue of not having a good enough PC. So back to the first question: should there be a limit to the amount of mods in a modpack, regardless of what they add or do?

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I have noticed that alot of the new modpacks have a lot of mods in them. And not just mods that make little tweaks or add a few decorational blocks. Mods like ars magica thaumcraft, computercraft, factorization, and logisticcs pipes. Having more mods can be a lot of fun, giving players more stuff to do. But the brain can only hold so much information, young or old, might not be able to understand or know what to do with the sheer mass of information. And any new players who decide to play play ftb after mastering vanilla would be staggering backward to see the amount of new content, and either be horrified, or take it as a challenge. And there is always the issue of not having a good enough PC. So back to the first question: should there be a limit to the amount of mods in a modpack, regardless of what they add or do?
Woh, this'll be a good discussion! Personally, I think it doesn't matter too much, as long as there is a lite pack, or a smaller pack.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
No, because artificially restricting a pack is not conducive to providing a large amount of players with different playstyles/experience/attention the right pack for them. There are many good reasons to make small packs. For example, you might want it to be suitable for beginners in which case a small basic mod list is ideal. You might also want to make a very focused pack where a smaller number of mods follow a consistent theme whatever that may be. Smaller packs are also a good way of playing modded minecraft on less powerful computers which is great too. But these reasons in favour of small packs aren't reasons against making large packs available. The best of all worlds happens when there are diverse packs which suit as many interested people as possible. With some of the touted new features of the new FTB launcher it looks like it will be easier for people to make their own packs, FTB's own offerings notwithstanding. This isn't limited to FTB of course but since we are here the FTB example makes sense.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
For a single player world i could see wanting to limit things to just what you understand. I don't prescribe to that philosophy but I can understand someone wanting to keep things lite. However in a multiplayer server environment I tend to be believe more options makes a more interesting world. Each person has a unique way of solving problems and seeing how each person handled their problems shows you more about mods and how minecraft works. Its a lot of fun to see people make vastly different bases and builds doing similar things. Its just what I enjoy about minecraft so much. creativity.

megamit

Jul 29, 2019
I think "should a modpack have a modlimit" is too broad of a question. When adding mods to a modpack you can add if you want to aslong as its compatible. Certain modpacks exist for certain playstyles and appeal to specific niches so it might be that when trying to add mods that fit with the pack you end up with a ton of redundant items or mods. Setting an arbitrary limit for the amount of mods you will add is silly and as people who spend more time making modpacks then i ever have, its likely that lag, start time, theme, redundancy and file size are all things to think about and in my opinion are more problimatic than having more content than you can shake your sword at

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
I can relate to this...the problem I run into is, there are so many cool mods...but to be able to do anything you have to have your browser open to 67 different minecraft forums posts reading how to use their mod...I wish there was a universal wiki for minecraft mods..

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
If people want smaller modpacks then they have the option to do that with packs such as lite 2 others may want to play bigger packs can play monster or horizons

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
The Theoretical limit is when all the IDs (especially block IDs) have been taken up. But that won't be a problem in 1.7 with the new names
The Bugs and lag don't really count as a limit, the pack is still somewhat playable with those, but the limit is when the pack wont simply run which is when all 4096 Block IDs have been occupied keeping in mind that vanilla takes up around 200 of those.

Reactions: Museli and Padfoote

100greenmen

Jul 29, 2019
No, because artificially restricting a pack is not conducive to providing a large amount of players with different playstyles/experience/attention the right pack for them. There are many good reasons to make small packs. For example, you might want it to be suitable for beginners in which case a small basic mod list is ideal. You might also want to make a very focused pack where a smaller number of mods follow a consistent theme whatever that may be. Smaller packs are also a good way of playing modded minecraft on less powerful computers which is great too. But these reasons in favour of small packs aren't reasons against making large packs available. The best of all worlds happens when there are diverse packs which suit as many interested people as possible. With some of the touted new features of the new FTB launcher it looks like it will be easier for people to make their own packs, FTB's own offerings notwithstanding. This isn't limited to FTB of course but since we are here the FTB example makes sense.
I do not get this topic at all.

Edit: Removed a lot of inflammatory post content.
When I saw your edit it made me laugh.[DOUBLEPOST=1388354427][/DOUBLEPOST]
For a single player world i could see wanting to limit things to just what you understand. I don't prescribe to that philosophy but I can understand someone wanting to keep things lite. However in a multiplayer server environment I tend to be believe more options makes a more interesting world. Each person has a unique way of solving problems and seeing how each person handled their problems shows you more about mods and how minecraft works. Its a lot of fun to see people make vastly different bases and builds doing similar things. Its just what I enjoy about minecraft so much. creativity.
That is very true. Variety can make a very fun place to do things. And learning and seeing new things is always interesting and fun.

100greenmen

Jul 29, 2019
I think "should a modpack have a modlimit" is too broad of a question. When adding mods to a modpack you can add if you want to aslong as its compatible. Certain modpacks exist for certain playstyles and appeal to specific niches so it might be that when trying to add mods that fit with the pack you end up with a ton of redundant items or mods. Setting an arbitrary limit for the amount of mods you will add is silly and as people who spend more time making modpacks then i ever have, its likely that lag, start time, theme, redundancy and file size are all things to think about and in my opinion are more problimatic than having more content than you can shake your sword at
I know it is a broad question, but this thought came to my mind and I couldn't work out the answer, so I needed feedback.[DOUBLEPOST=1388355015][/DOUBLEPOST]
The limit is when the pack suffers from bugs and lag. That's the limit.
The Theoretical limit is when all the IDs (especially block IDs) have been taken up. But that won't be a problem in 1.7 with the new names
The Bugs and lag don't really count as a limit, the pack is still somewhat playable with those, but the limit is when the pack wont simply run which is when all 4096 Block IDs have been occupied keeping in mind that vanilla takes up around 200 of those.
I didn't even think about block/item id's (most of the time I don't care becuase i can use the idfix mod to resolve conflicts) I am in the dark as far as development for forge working in 1.7+ goes.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

I believe the word suffers means greatly affects game play negatively. At that point I stop.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Actually in 1.8 it will be a problem, in 1.7 numerical ID's exist as a "legacy" system

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Why would anyone want limitations imposed on themselves by someone else? Stuff as many mods as you can in a pack, I'll disable the ones I don't want. Simple. Far easier to delete mods from packs than add them, universal configs not withstanding.