Shoop Resonant Rise [Season 3] The rise of the Shoop archmage

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I'm back and I got my self back in gear to start doing something again. This time around I was thinking of some sort of challenge. I was looking a bit at R2R but I don't really find it to my liking and it looks like it would have some issues with RR's mod list. So I dorked around a bit poked a few things read up a bit and come to an idea. I think my plan this time around is to go full on magic and do as little as possible with tech. This is going to have its own sort of issues with it as most ore doubling comes fairly late in TC unlike most tech mods that have some level of it right out the gate. Not a hug issue for me personally but something to think about. Mostly I want to try and use the new updated TC4 to do the majority of my stuff and build a sweet ass mage tower at the same time. Not really sure what rules or limits I want to place on myself yet or if I want to have any sort of gating mechanic. But I'll think about that while I run around TS1 looking for a new place to put the hovel of shame.

Archmage's Tower Rules V0.1

Once you have chosen the path the magi you most cast off your old ways and follow the path as detailed.

Mages live in towers even the most humble of mages worthy of the title will have one. Towers are taller them they are wide but can come in all sorts of shapes. When a mage needs more room they explained their tower adding floors below or above. If needed the a new outer wall can be built over the old tower to give the tower a wider base but always towers are taller them they are wide.

Mages are vary orderly people and as such rooms in your tower must be specialized. No sane mage puts all of his stuff in one big room. Most will have a library for research, a lab for alchemistry, a ritual room for enchantment and grander magics, and others. The rule here is each room can serve one or two functions only. Storage like wise must be made orderly when ever possible.

Mages don't wear common armors they are beneath them. While you might have used some on your way to your tower site to get started on your path please put that stuff aside. Mages were only robes and magic armors most notably Thuamium. (fully enchanted armors of all types count as magic armors also if you really want to use armors but stay in theme)

Mages avoid technology if it uses power that its not for mages. Furnace type items are still ok if it burns fuel like coal or wood and does not use or make sortable power then it is most likely ok to use. Redstone is ok as we all know redstone is magic dust that makes things go.

Your tower most have a heart a source of your power. There are no hard rules for how to make these. But they reside in the middle of your tower (any floor is ok) and most be made of the best materials you can get your hands on. Also upgrade them as soon as you can as it is a reflection of your power towards other mages.

These are still a work in progress as I'm still getting a feel for what works best.

Update 10/28 2am
Added first rough draft of rules for the project.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ars Magicka actually has a gating mechanic of it's own, that'll let you go between locations. Might be worth looking into.

wizkid515

Jul 29, 2019
Looking forward to following a new season :) just starting on the RR modpack myself, finding it a bit overwhelming.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magicka actually has a gating mechanic of it's own, that'll let you go between locations. Might be worth looking into.

I meant gating as it phases of play. IE cant use X until you done/collect Y sort of thing.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Looking forward to following a new season :) just starting on the RR modpack myself, finding it a bit overwhelming.

It is a lot of fun. My suggestion is the same for any large mod pack. Start with what you know then pick a mod and run with it until you think you got it. Then pick another ect. Really the only way you learn is by doing. Also try and break away from the "best" ways to do things. While yes often they are objectively good ways to do things many times there are other just a good ways to do stuff that is more interesting. Also it helps you learn the mods better when your just not copying everyone else.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah going to take a break from this tonight. just spent hours looking for new land and when I finally do died of starvation waiting for dawn to get rid of the monster horde that was waiting for me to get off the boat. Yeah not good times. (not to say anything about the other dozen deaths)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
So I think the plan right now is stick to TC4 and maybe dip into Ars magica and witchry both magic mods that are part of RR. For tech we will avoid it mostly I think Tinkers construct is still vary medievaly. There is a few others that fix with the mage theme. Going to avoid most of AE, IC2, and Mek. Which means being power free for the most part. I foresee many golems being used for automation. I also forsee a huge need for charcoal lucky TC4 has lumberjack golems now.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I lucked out and found a nice volcano I am going to steal basalt from. Also found a thuamnomicon in a chest (found 3 actually). I think the fun part here is going to be the speclized rooms. I might update my rules to make it so that once I have a spell/magic based attack I have to stop using normal swords... you know becuase mages are to awesome for mere swords and bows.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
hmm I sure you have a plan already but maby you could make your tower along the lines of isengard with a surrounding wall with more rooms and keep your tower all magically :D

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
hmm I sure you have a plan already but maby you could make your tower along the lines of isengard with a surrounding wall with more rooms and keep your tower all magically :D

Sort of... my plan is to go in stages.

Stage one is a 15 wide 30 tall hovel of shame tower.

Then my next big upgrade will be to expain that to have a outer wall something like 35 or 45 so I can make a ring of outer rooms and hollow the old tower out and just start building up form there. I'll go up until I hit the top of the world then start building down. (though to be honest I'll more then likeing mine out the under side before that for mats)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Also, once you get TC4 up and running, the infernal furnace is an excellent way to smelt things without needing coal or charcoal. Using an AE/Metallurgy Grinder (it's a hand-crank, so it fits your tech level) to get ore duplication out of it.