Several Server Issues. Need some assistance.

Deadlyapples

Jul 29, 2019
Right. I have a server for Magic World v4. I updated it from 3 just this morning.

Server Spec are as follows.

Mac Pro Nethalem 2009
- Dual Quad Core (Hyperthreads to 16 Cores)
- 2.66 Ghz
- 16 GB of Ram (12 Of which is focused on the server)
- Internet Speeds 50Mbits Upload AND download
- OSX Lion

Here are afew of the issues I seem to get on occasions.

1. When using CPU Monitors of varying types they all come back indicating that the server is just using 10 - 20 % of the total CPU potential. This is the same and doesnt go much above that, even when the server is burting with people, When people leave it drops to 2% - 5% like it is idle. Is there anyway I can make the server make more use of the CPU of my mac?

2. People on my server seem to have major issues with mystcraft worlds. I know of about 7 people who when entering a mystcraft world get stuck in an endless loop of connecting and then being disconnected about 3 seconds later. There only escape is with my /tpx <player> <world> command. In some cases when I am asleep they log on and try the world and then it all starts again and I have to use the command after I get 10 messages from people saying help I am stuck in the mining age.. I know of about 7 people who have this issue and then the rest have no issues. What is causing this? There is nothing in the console to indicated any error of sorts?

3. Since the latest update when restarting the server I get an error claiming that Mystcraft world ID 0 is unavailable or already in use and then the game shuts down. My only option is to delete the file world /data /age_0.dat
After that file is deleted the world loads as if there is nothing wrong. But after that all the aura nodes of thaumcraft are deleted or disappear and I have to open the thaumcraft config and turn on Aura regen and change the regen Key to get the thaumcraft aura nodes to come back. What is this issue? Never seen this happen before. Perhaps it was a one time thing? This did report an error but unfortunatly the error file did not save and the minecraft server terminal crashed so there is no evidence. I would like to hear if anyone has encountered a similar issue and If so have they found any solutions to this problem?

(Yes I do know about the fix on this same forum section, Yes ive used it and that fixes it. That is not my issue. The issue is with thaumcraft auras dissappear when I delete that data which doesnt make sence because they have nothing to do with each other as far as i understand. )

4. Ender storage mod now causes the server to crash when an item is retrived from them. I removed the mod and everything is peachy now. But that mod was a great addition to the Magic World mod pack and Would like to get this back. never had an issue till the new version of Magic World released this morning. Again I dont have an error log or atleast I cannot find it. I will keep looking however.

5. I would like to know a bit more about how mystcraft worlds in terms of teleporting because even with just 1 mining age, Once people start teleporting a lot the server can get rather laggy. Not FPS lag just low tick rate or what ever you want to call it. Is this just how the mod works? I understand all of these mods are always being altered and iterated so if this is just something that the mod does and its not going to change any time soon than thats fine.

6. Every few minutes or so people on the server randomly loose the ability to speak / type. They can type but no words appear. They also loose the ability to interact with the world, Like they have being disconnected but are still somehow playing but have no affect on the world. To other people they appear to just freeze too.

Sorry for the huge wall of text which will probably deter 90% of the people on the forum. I would just feel more comfortable knowing if there is anything I can do to help increase the performance of my server. I know my computers fairly well but I have looked through many posts and different forums and posted and found that noone replies or helps or they suggest things as if I know what they are talking about with all their techno babble. I know a thing or two about a thing or two but programming, server maintenance and macs are not my strong suit.

I just want to say that I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read through this or at least attempts to help me with some of the issues my server has.

Thankyou for your time it is greatly appreciated!

Deadlyapples.

Chthon

Jul 29, 2019
Right. I have a server for Magic World v4. I updated it from 3 just this morning.

Server Spec are as follows.

Mac Pro Nethalem 2009
- Dual Quad Core (Hyperthreads to 16 Cores)
- 2.66 Ghz
- 16 GB of Ram (12 Of which is focused on the server)
- Internet Speeds 50Mbits Upload AND download
- OSX Lion

Here are afew of the issues I seem to get on occasions.

1. When using CPU Monitors of varying types they all come back indicating that the server is just using 10 - 20 % of the total CPU potential. This is the same and doesnt go much above that, even when the server is burting with people, When people leave it drops to 2% - 5% like it is idle. Is there anyway I can make the server make more use of the CPU of my mac?

2. People on my server seem to have major issues with mystcraft worlds. I know of about 7 people who when entering a mystcraft world get stuck in an endless loop of connecting and then being disconnected about 3 seconds later. There only escape is with my /tpx <player> <world> command. In some cases when I am asleep they log on and try the world and then it all starts again and I have to use the command after I get 10 messages from people saying help I am stuck in the mining age.. I know of about 7 people who have this issue and then the rest have no issues. What is causing this? There is nothing in the console to indicated any error of sorts?

3. Since the latest update when restarting the server I get an error claiming that Mystcraft world ID 0 is unavailable or already in use and then the game shuts down. My only option is to delete the file world /data /age_0.dat
After that file is deleted the world loads as if there is nothing wrong. But after that all the aura nodes of thaumcraft are deleted or disappear and I have to open the thaumcraft config and turn on Aura regen and change the regen Key to get the thaumcraft aura nodes to come back. What is this issue? Never seen this happen before. Perhaps it was a one time thing? This did report an error but unfortunatly the error file did not save and the minecraft server terminal crashed so there is no evidence. I would like to hear if anyone has encountered a similar issue and If so have they found any solutions to this problem?

(Yes I do know about the fix on this same forum section, Yes ive used it and that fixes it. That is not my issue. The issue is with thaumcraft auras dissappear when I delete that data which doesnt make sence because they have nothing to do with each other as far as i understand. )

4. Ender storage mod now causes the server to crash when an item is retrived from them. I removed the mod and everything is peachy now. But that mod was a great addition to the Magic World mod pack and Would like to get this back. never had an issue till the new version of Magic World released this morning. Again I dont have an error log or atleast I cannot find it. I will keep looking however.

5. I would like to know a bit more about how mystcraft worlds in terms of teleporting because even with just 1 mining age, Once people start teleporting a lot the server can get rather laggy. Not FPS lag just low tick rate or what ever you want to call it. Is this just how the mod works? I understand all of these mods are always being altered and iterated so if this is just something that the mod does and its not going to change any time soon than thats fine.

6. Every few minutes or so people on the server randomly loose the ability to speak / type. They can type but no words appear. They also loose the ability to interact with the world, Like they have being disconnected but are still somehow playing but have no affect on the world. To other people they appear to just freeze too.

Sorry for the huge wall of text which will probably deter 90% of the people on the forum. I would just feel more comfortable knowing if there is anything I can do to help increase the performance of my server. I know my computers fairly well but I have looked through many posts and different forums and posted and found that noone replies or helps or they suggest things as if I know what they are talking about with all their techno babble. I know a thing or two about a thing or two but programming, server maintenance and macs are not my strong suit.

I just want to say that I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read through this or at least attempts to help me with some of the issues my server has.

Thankyou for your time it is greatly appreciated!

Deadlyapples.
1. The server will only use as much CPU as it needs. Forcing it to use more will do nothing at all. Likely if you are having problems with lag, you have another bottleneck. Perhaps slow RAM, or long read times from your HDD.

2. Mystcraft worlds can take a long time to generate. I mean a very long time. This is especially for cave worlds as gravel and sand will have to fall first as well, and will do so in mass quanities across thousands of chunks (Standard pre-gen size of the main world). If it's such a serious problem, I suggest that you instate a rule. All new books must have "Normal Terrain" generation option at the very least. All other options can still be random, but this prevents cave worlds.

3. Thaumcraft's aura node map can become corrupted if the server is shut down abnormally. This can happen if your computer auto reboots for updates, or you just click close. My suggestion is you do a /save-all and then back up the world to a new location before shutting your server down. This way if the file becomes corrupted, you have a backup.

4. Unknown why this would occur. Ender storage works fine for me, but there are also reports that it resets chunks for some people. I've not encountered any problems.

5. When you teleport to an empty age, the server has to load at least 441 new chunks into memory, as well as unload any excess chunks around where the player was. This is the same issue as moving too fast across the landscape. It's because your system has a bottleneck in loading files from your filesystem. A faster HHD, or SSD would help speed things up for you.

6. This is an effect of lag. Likely your server is falling behind, perhaps because you are loading a new age. Things can get desynced. Usually when the server catches up, things go back to normal, but not always. Once again, faster load times from the disk will help mediate this.

Edit: Also there are some java command line arguements you can add which may help a lot. I do not know what they all do however, you are better off asking someone else or looking at this thread:http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/server-lag.2501/page-4#post-93015