Setting up Rotarycraft grinders

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I have a setup of 6 Hydrokinetics daisychained together that outputs approximately 3.029MW, with a Torque of 97.706 kNm, at a speed of 31 rad/s.

What type of a setup would I need to make my grinders grind my canola seeds faster. As it is right now, it takes about 30 seconds per seed at the present speed. Just want to know what is effective to cut that in 1/2, or even by 3/4.

Thanks

B

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Gearbox to convert some of that torque into speed.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What ratio is recommended? and is what material would be best?

I don't remember the exact specifics of material strengths, but it sounds like you'll need a bedrock gearbox, and a 8:1 *should* be more than enough if I remember everything correctly.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I don't remember the exact specifics of material strengths, but it sounds like you'll need a bedrock gearbox, and a 8:1 *should* be more than enough if I remember everything correctly.

I'll get right on it. Do you recall offhand how the ratio's work? I mean how much would be converted in an 8:1 box?

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
As long as you meet the minimum torque for the grinders, dump everything else into speed. That will dramatically reduce processing times. I don't have actual values on hand, but with a little mathemagic you can probably figure out the correct ratios. Something else to keep in mind for later - with a CVT you're not limited to powers of 2 for your ratios, so you can tweak things to tighter specifications.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'll get right on it. Do you recall offhand how the ratio's work? I mean how much would be converted in an 8:1 box?
Precisely what Kirameki and Padfoote said.

Basically, for 90% of machines, you want to find out what its minimum torque requirement is. IIRC the grinder requires 128 (check the manual).
So you want to look at your torque created by your hydroelectrics and figure out which divisor will bring you down as close as possible to 128.

As a totally hypothetical example:
Say you were producing 512nm of torque at 1028rad/s. If you want to get the most speed while preserving the minimum torque, you'd need a 4:1 gearbox and set it to gear for speed. You'd end up with 4096 rad/s and 128nm torque.

In the event that a machine has no minimum torque, your job is a bit easier: you go for the biggest gearbox you can get that won't drop you below 1 torque (you need at least 1nm of torque to get "power")

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
You might wanna make a CVT and use it in 32:1 and after that link a 16:1 gearbox (I think Diamond will be _just_ enough, not sure) to get as much speed out of the torque you're creating while still staying over 128NM :3

E: Also never forget to lube up your gearboxes and CVT.

Last edited: