Setting up my first oil refinery -- help :O

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Hey all o/ I just set up my very first Oil Refinery (yay!)

However this thing is guzzling so much power. I'm using a simple Steam Dynamo right now and fueling it with coal blocks at the moment and it's taking about 1 block per 2000 mB of converted fuel.

wat.

Here's my super simple setup:

2014-04-19_07.39.41.png

I have no idea why it's consuming so much power. I have a full drum of oil (I was lucky and hit what I believe to be an oil spring right off the bat) and am trying to make a drum of fuel now... but.. yeah.

Anyway guidance and/or help is really appreciated. Thanks so much!

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well you are using coal to power your refineries. Now that you have fuel, power the refineries with that instead. They will operate much more efficiently.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Okay so let me understand this properly:

Refine oil with fuel that I refined with coal to refine more fuel faster?

What's the exchange here I'm getting?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well Im sure theres someone here who can explain the math behind it all but all I know is that I add a bucket of oil to each of my dynamos, so they can charge up the refineries and from then on they run on fuel. And it lasts forever. (actually what I do is use an energy cell powered from my short lived steam dynamo setup but the other way works too)

Also it should be noted that even though all Dynamos output the same RF, different fuels burn for longer times.

Last edited:

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Ok.. so I just hooked up a combustion engine to the fuel tank. Now my combustion engine is full of fuel and water, has 6 MJ/t output, 10,000 MJ stored and is 60 degrees Celsius and heating up more. But... the refinery is not being powered.

What am I doing wrong?

edit: It's now at 100.01 deg C, water is draining and nothing is happening.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Ok I know this one from experience. BC engines do NOT output to energy conduits. You will have to use something else like BC pipes or EnderIO conduits.
Great information. Right as you were typing it I hooked it directly into the refinery (haha.) Now it's working.. albeit slowly right now.

I'll advise you when I have more info!

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Heres an interesting idea. Those engines will overheat and explode if you leave them on all the time and the energy buffer is full. And the fact that Buildcraft doesnt really have a energy battery now that TE is its own entity means that you will have to think outside the box. In another thread someone pointed out that theres something called an oil fabricator in MFR which converts power into however much it would be worth in oil with no loss. Which is basically an energy buffer. Anything that isnt used in your machines gets recycled back into the system and your engines and refineries will never stop moving, and never explode.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Hmm, well a Compression Dynamo produces 80 RF/t. I'm unsure though, what's the best way to go? :|

Right now I just want a quick and inexpensive and mostly hands-free way to convert my oil into fuel.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
BC gates allow for you to toggle the state of the engine based on if there's work available for it or not.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Wow, just crunched some numbers. Right now with my two drums of oil I'm sitting on 3 billion RF.

That's really not bad, it should carry me through early game at least.

Hippieshaman

Jul 29, 2019
You should put gates on your wooden kinetic pipes so they don't blow up when the refinery is done and no longer draws power. Or change them to TE conduits.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You should put gates on your wooden kinetic pipes so they don't blow up when the refinery is done and no longer draws power. Or change them to TE conduits.

I agree on the gates, but the conduits won't do an MJ --> RF conversion.

Hippieshaman

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly certain the conduits are MJ compatible, at least they used to be right after they introduced RF.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I'll need to make an assembly array for the gates. For now I'll just babysit. Not that it's going to be done /soon/.

Hey, which gate do I want to use? This is my first time experimenting with gates.

Last edited:

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
This is a simple gate tutorial. I think another option would be to set the gates to power requested -> redstone signal and then the engines will only activate when the refinery needs power. Personally though I'd just use compression dynamos and stick with Thermal Expansion.