Problem Server crash on startup.

Herdo

Jul 29, 2019
  • What OS are you running?
Windows 8.1
  • Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft?
I'm running the server off of my local machine.
  • What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version)
FTB launcher v 1.4.5 - Infinity 1.3.4
  • Did you add any mods to the server pack?
No
  • What are your server specs?
i7 4790K stock speeds
16GB DDR3 1866Mhz memory (4GB dedicated to server)
R9 295x2
2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSDs in RAID 0 (1TB total)
  • A good detailed paragraph about the problem:

Hello everyone. I've been running a server locally for me and my girlfriend to play on for about a week now and everything was running smoothly until last night. We had a short power outage in my area and the server was running at the time.

What's happening when I try to start the server now is an error saying:

Code:
[Server thread/WARN] [FML]: Forge Mod Loader detected that the backup level.dat is being used.
This may happen due to a bug or corruption, continuing can damage
your world beyond repair or lose data / progress.
It's recommended to create a world backup before continuing.
Run the command /fml confirm or or /fml cancel to proceed.
Alternatively start the server with -Dfml.queryResult=confirm or -Dfml.queryResult=cancel to preselect the answer.

I made a backup of my server and then tried deleting the level.dat.old file to force it to use the normal level.dat. This just causes the server to actually crash and outputs a crashlog file found here:
http://pastebin.com/LBnrRGcP

If I instead delete the level.dat file and rename the level.dat.old file to level.dat, the server loads like normal and everything is normal except for my inventory and stats. All my machines and structures seem to be in the world still, but everything that was on my character and all of my characters stats are reset ( achievements, etc). While this is definitely better than starting over completely, I had a lot of Tinkers Construct and other things in my inventory that aren't easily added back in.

Is there some solution here to get my world and character data back?

I just learned that Aroma1997 backup is turned off by default on servers so loading a backup is not an option. When I get this sorted out I'm going to enable it to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Your regular level.dat is screwed because data was being written to it when the power failed. Probably the same with your player data. Your only solution is to use the level.dat.old file and start doing regular backups. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Herdo

Jul 29, 2019
Your regular level.dat is screwed because data was being written to it when the power failed. Probably the same with your player data. Your only solution is to use the level.dat.old file and start doing regular backups. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

That's ok. I just said screw it and used the level.dat.old last night and gifted myself the lost items. I restarted and played for a bit before trying to go into the nether which crashed the server. After that I just scrapped the whole thing and started over, haha.

Thanks for the reply.