RotaryCraft Canola Farm Setup

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who always preferred Tech mods, the addition of RotaryCraft to Monster has been a great new toy. After searching around, there isn't much info out there on it. I wanted to use hydrokinetic generators and found out they needed lubricant. I initially had a manual farm to get started. Once I had a few stacks of canola seeds, I made the grinder. Wow was it slow. You also need ALOT of seeds. After seeing Reika's video of his base, I found almost everything I needed to setup automated farms with RotaryCraft. This setup is a little on the large side. After how slow I started, I thought I would need this much to get the lubricant I needed. One nice thing about it being so large is that it only needs to run from time time, instead of always being on and drawing power. The fans and the fertilizer only use about 48 RF/t and make about 2k-3k canola seeds an hour. The grinder setup takes around 1500 RF/t, but can run through 5k canola seeds in minutes. Here's how you do it. Hopefully this helps with some of the stuff I couldn't find anywhere and figured out from trial and error.
The 16 fans are powered by a single magneostatic engine and power buses. It is set for 512 Nm and 512 rad/s for a total of 262.144 KW. You can see the range of the fan using the Angular Transducer. Click the fan and it will highlight how far the fan reaches. The power bus controller needs lubricant to function. The fans harvest and replant. All the extra seeds are blown into the water where the run into an ME Transition Plane to enter the ME network.
0eJczs9.png

4Z15lzc.png

Here's the fertilizer setup. Water and bonemeal or apatite get fed into the sides and power into the bottom. The range of the fertilizer is based on torque, not speed, so when adjusting it to cover the area you want adjust the torque. To see how far it reaches, you have to just look at your crops for a few minutes and you will see a particle effect where it is working. It took a little trial and error to get the size right. Mine is running at 4096 NM and 4 rad/s for a total of 16.384 KW. It is at the same level as the dirt and under half slabs. Covering it doesn't appear to affect it, but I am not sure how many blocks high it reaches.
4tPOWIk.png

Next is the grinder setup. My 1st setup was so slow, so I played around and ended up with this. I have never seen anything go so fast in MC. A magneostatic engine at 1024 Nm and 8192 rad/s(max power) for 8.389 MW. It draws around 1500 RF/t, but it is so fast, you run out of materials to grind in 2-4 minutes so the energy cell barely drains. I have my energy cell outputting 2000 RF/t just to be safe. Power is fed into a 4:1 diamond gearbox set to speed. The power is split evenly with a shaft junction, steel shaft, and bevel gear. Me precision export buses feed it and itemducts extract items back into the ME interface. Lubricant is piped out of the bottom of them with fluid ducts. I originally set it up for lubricant, but now use it to grind certain ores as well as bones and apatite.
E2UE0kZ.png

jGvHK36.png

JLWBpTT.png

And then in a day or 2 of letting run while I was playing and I got this. Lol. It turned out to be a little overkill. A setup this size should easily keep a pretty huge base lubricated by only running for an hour or 2 every few days.
TuLlDlH.png

foDcPbZ.png

Here's one tip on using power buses. The controller needs lubricant to work. The power buses transfer power to themselves automatically. To transfer power to a machine from them requires a shaft or gear set to be put into the proper slot. Here is an example. Figured I'd share since these 2 things gave me the most headache when setting this up. It also would not work for some reason when i 1st set it up. I had to break all the power buses and replace them starting the power bus controller. Seems you may need to place the controller 1st.
The buses connected to the fans are like this. The fans are on their red face.
H73q3Cx.png

This is how the buses with no fans looks.
Ja9Ab5S.png

Reactions: Pyure

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
a good thing to note is that the range from the fans can be decreased/increased by changing the power input. this way you can control the size of your farms.
it's also best to use a fan for each row of crops you're doing, I tried using a fan for 3 rows, and it'd sometimes harvest the rows on the side, but it would never really push the drops to the end.
and I haven't tried it out yet, but perhaps you could figure out the range of the fans by standing infront of them and see how far they push you, as fans can push both items and entities.

last thing to note, fans work with magical crops ;)

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
a good thing to note is that the range from the fans can be decreased/increased by changing the power input. this way you can control the size of your farms.
it's also best to use a fan for each row of crops you're doing, I tried using a fan for 3 rows, and it'd sometimes harvest the rows on the side, but it would never really push the drops to the end.
and I haven't tried it out yet, but perhaps you could figure out the range of the fans by standing infront of them and see how far they push you, as fans can push both items and entities.

I put in there how to tell the range of the fans. Click them with the angular transducer and the area they cover highlights in blue. They are only designed to harvest one row as far as I know.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I put in there how to tell the range of the fans. Click them with the angular transducer and the area they cover highlights in blue. They are only designed to harvest one row as far as I know.

derp, while testing yesterday I found that out aswell... I knew I was forgetting about an useful tool XD

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I like it. Out of curiosity, where did that alternate steel texture come from? Is it a texture pack?
I appreciate your approval since it is your mod. :D
I am just running the Soartex FTB Universal pack from their site. The FTB launcher won't let you get it for the latest version of Monster.
BTW, I am having alot of fun with Rotarycraft. I am so glad you have gotten involved with FTB. I just stick with packs these days, so I hadn't really seen it before. It's becoming one of my favorite mods.

While you're here, I have a few things. Even with the books, some info is lacking. If I could get one piece of info, a list of what gives bonus ores in the extractor. I had several running at the same time, so I haven't been able to figure out which ore gave what bonus. For example, I have iridium and have no clue which ore it came from.

Any reason I would get a null exception on a specific hydrokinetic wheel in the middle of a line of 8? It was not on a chunk boundary or running and it would pop up in chat every so often.

Thanks for all the time you spend here on the forums. Appreciate all the responses and posts you've made. They have helped with the stuff the book doesn't.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I appreciate your approval since it is your mod. :D
While you're here, I have a few things. Even with the books, some info is lacking. If I could get one piece of info, a list of what gives bonus ores in the extractor. I had several running at the same time, so I haven't been able to figure out which ore gave what bonus. For example, I have iridium and have no clue which ore it came from.
http://rotarycraft.wikia.com/wiki/Extractor#Bonus_Products

Any reason I would get a null exception on a specific hydrokinetic wheel in the middle of a line of 8? It was not on a chunk boundary or running and it would pop up in chat every so often.
Were there lots of block updates?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the link. I see you guys have been busy adding to it. Glad to see it coming along.

As for the hydrokinetics, don't think there would be any block updates. They were in their own area. The water to them was shutoff with pistons, and lube was full in the whole line. They had been sitting for a while. I got the error one day when I logged in and it kept popping up. Turning them on and off didn't change anything. I also broke and replaced the wheel at the coords the error gave and it didn't change anything. Seemed to disappear the next time I logged in.

sigaming

Jul 29, 2019

omg thank you thank you thank you

zortag

Jul 29, 2019
a little computercraft farm (5x5) for beginning (turtle powered)
http://pastebin.com/wtRrmjVp
the turtle main script is mine.
you need an intermediate experience in computercraft to set it up
fully automatic, smart and (as i know) bugless. i have some ideas to auto configure it, but now it need to be modified a little for each map
all instructions and example image are in the pastebin

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Warning, fans work with most but not all magical crops :)

They fail with "Essence" crops last I checked, also the "elemental" ones: fire, water, earth, air. Works with most everything other than some odd ones (I think they were cross-mod-compatible crops)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Warning, fans work with most but not all magical crops :)

They fail with "Essence" crops last I checked, also the "elemental" ones: fire, water, earth, air. Works with most everything other than some odd ones (I think they were cross-mod-compatible crops)

that's probably because those were added after there was compatibility between RoC and MC, resulting in those crops probably using some different kind of code that isn't supported by the RoC compatibility

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice and cool setup :)
But magnetostatic...

I am still waiting for someone to do a full setup in this fashion but fully out of RoC engines... Unless reika did it :p

And like it was said above... Fans do 3 rows...

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
ye but since i tend to be ender pearl starved in the beginning, i alwais go for additional fans
Did a small setup like this 1 week ago with 3 fans using RoC pumps, steam engines and "shower sprinklers " ( all from Roc) and it produces quite a good amount of canola
In the end, steam engine is basically "free power" even though not very powerful, and fans don't cost that much in terms of resources, i find it better than spending 1 ender pearl for each vacuum hopper
An other possibility which i find appealing is the item vacuum, still from RoC, which powered by a single steam engine, should have 8 blocks range

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
ye but since i tend to be ender pearl starved in the beginning, i alwais go for additional fans
Did a small setup like this 1 week ago with 3 fans using RoC pumps, steam engines and "shower sprinklers " ( all from Roc) and it produces quite a good amount of canola
In the end, steam engine is basically "free power" even though not very powerful, and fans don't cost that much in terms of resources, i find it better than spending 1 ender pearl for each vacuum hopper
An other possibility which i find appealing is the item vacuum, still from RoC, which powered by a single steam engine, should have 8 blocks range

Sorrt I meant the item vaccuum :)
Too much AgS :D

Worst case if 8 blocks is not enough, you can hook up two and it should cover the whole farm from a side of it